ok from all-guitar-chords.com i looked up C dorian and idk why but this scale they gave me doesnt start on D

|------3--1------------------------------------------------
|------------4--3--1---------------------------------------
|---------------------3--2--0------------------------------
|------------------------------3--1--0---------------------
|---------------------------------------3--1--0------------
|------------------------------------------------3--1------

|------------------------------------------------1--3------
|---------------------------------------1--3--4------------
|------------------------------0--2--3---------------------
|---------------------0--1--3------------------------------
|------------0--1--3---------------------------------------
|------1--3------------------------------------------------
It doesn't need to. It just needs to have all the notes in the C Dorian mode, which it does.
Maybe because you looked up C Dorian. If the site lets, change the root note. Like is the site a scale generator thing?
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
yeah its a scale generator.. i see now it just needs those notes.....oooooooh so it doesnt need to start on D for C dorian ok that makes more sense
how the hel am i gonna remember all those formations??? whats the structure difference of C ionion then D dorian....i get it when its just th 7 notes and its rotating and stuff with the diff modes but whats added with those extra notes?
Send me the site and Ill try to find out how to change it from C to do for you.
Ballz On Parade
K, so you go under scales and go to dorian. Check. Then go to where it says chords and click the note that is that root, the one you want to start with in your terms. So it is automatically set to c. Just go down and click D, then there is a box next to the box with all the scales that says get. Click that and you should be set.
Ballz On Parade
i already know that!! but besides the notes rotating and w/e what are the diffs between the c dorian and c ionion like the extra notes for structure? im getting so goddamn confused by this
I know the scale too..

If you are looking for a good place for scales, go here
http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/index.php

That site is amazing it really is.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
ionian and dorian are two different scale formations. you move different scale formations around the neck to play in whatever key you want. a C dorian starts on a C and ends on a C, a ionian starts on a C and ends on a C also. i dont want to explain everything but with the formations you can go through the notes and see what sharps and flats are in it to determine what key your in, thats the straight forward way to do it.

EXAMPLE: a phrygian on the 12th fret of the low e string( which is an E) is in the key of A minor(no sharps or flats), but if you play an aeolian scale starting on that same note you get an F# which makes it the key of E minor. the different formation will put in a different key.

and that example is what just came of the top of my head but i hope it helps
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Last edited by TacoPaco9317 at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by xDie_Romanticx
i already know that!! but besides the notes rotating and w/e what are the diffs between the c dorian and c ionion like the extra notes for structure? im getting so goddamn confused by this

Well thats not what you asked in the beginning. You were asking why it didnt start at D instead of C
Ballz On Parade
Ok lets start over, I think you're getting a little confused about the root of scales. I'm going to copy a post I made about modes, tell me what you don't understand, and we'll go from there. I'll edit in just a second.

Quote by musiclover2399
Now I'm sure you've heard a mode is a scale but starting on a different note, this is true-when you're trying to figure out what notes are in the scale. Like C major is CDEFGBAC, you move one over to D and it is D dorian, DEFGBACD. You continue this to figure out what E phrygian is and such. Another way to randomly figure one out is by intervals, like WWHWWWH.

See, WWHWWWH is for the major scale, or Ionian. For Dorian it's WHWWWHW. And Phrygian it's HWWWHWW and so on.

Now you're probably thinking one of two things or both. One, how do I use this? And/Or two, how can scales that have the same notes have different feels?! Well the answer is quite simple. The feel depends on the chords being played UNDER the solo/lick. Like if you're trying to play a A minor based lick over a C major chord, it's going to sound like C major instead. So the chords and grooves played with you is VERY important, you must practice practice practice, but with someone playing chords or a groove somehow.

Now let's say you're playing a song that's in D minor, you'll want to use either D dorian D phrygian or D aeolian, as they all share the tonic and a flat third, but of course some will sound better than others depending on the chords, but you have to figure out which on your own by jamming with a friend.

The Locrian is a oddball that's meant to be used mainly for diminished based music.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

So do you have a better grip? Anything still seem cloudy? Just ask.
Last edited by musiclover2399 at Jan 7, 2007,

There are no "extra notes"....a scale exists across the entire fretboard. The "extra" notes are just the continuation of the scale, using either the octave you finish on as the new root, or working back to the octave below.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There are no "extra notes"....a scale exists across the entire fretboard. The "extra" notes are just the continuation of the scale, using either the octave you finish on as the new root, or working back to the octave below.

oh so like im slow could you dive a little deeper into what your talking about? like a diagram showing how it repeats?
oh ok ****ing, ****ing i get it now......god thanks steven seagull kudos to you and same with musiclover oh my gosh this is like crazy ithis has bothered me forEVER!!!!! now it all makes sense to me...shit thanks dude!!!!!!!!!!!
so a C scale would go G A B C D E F G A B C D E F G??

Exactly....on a standard tuned guitar you could start from the open low E if you wanted, and play the C major scale all the way up to the last fret on the top E (if you REALLY wanted to !). The Dorian mode is the second mode of the major scale, meaning you start playing the scale from the second note of the scale. The second note in the C major scale is D, so it's D Dorian.

C itself is the second note in the Bb major scale, so to play C Dorian you need to play the notes of the Bb major scale, but starting from the second note.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You know a much easier way to figure out the notes in a mode is to just use intervals.

Ionian=WWHWWWH(major)
Dorian=WHWWWHW(minor)
Phrygian=HWWWHWW(minor)
Lydian=WWWHWWH(major)
Mixolydian=WWHWWHW(major/dominant)
Aeolian=WHWWHWW(minor)
Locrian=HWWHWWW(diminished.
Instead of confusing the hell out of yourself just use the intervals, all the "It comes from starting on a different note" is true and useful to know but not necessary.

Just figure out the key of the song, figure out which mode you want to use for your solo/lick, and use the intervals to figure out which notes you can use. Say you're playing in the key of F major and you want to use the Lydian, just use the intervals I listed.

Anything still cloudy?
Quote by xDie_Romanticx
so D dorian you would start on A?

D Dorian starts on D. That tab you have in your first post is unnecessarily complex. That is showing C Dorian starting on F. C Dorian should start on C. D Dorian is the notes D E F G A B C D. As long as you play those notes and resolve to D, you are playing in D Dorian.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.