I'm an American, and we are getting a Rugby team at my high school. I've played football for 4 years straight and I'm really excited about trying out this new sport. Since it is new to me though, I am just learning the rules and have a few questions -

can you kick for points at any time that you want to? or only for a penalty or after a try. i mean, say your at your end of the field and you run all the way down until you are about 20 meters away and you dont think you can make it all the way for the try. are you aloud to kick?

there are only 15 players on the field at a time. according to my schools rules (and could someone please tell me if this is common) you can only have 3 substituted players in a game. i think thats ridiculous. so is that to tell me if there are 30 people on my team (and that would be a low number compared to my football team which had about 70) that 12 players will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for the entire game? that seems ridiculous, since i have never played before i doubt i would be one of the top 15 players, and i dont go to practice and work my ass off just to watch the game.
My school has had a rugby team for a while ... so at the moment it feels like:
My school > Your school

That feels pretty good
Sent from my iPad.
1. yes, drop kicks for points (i think 3?) at any time, though, if you're that close, just go for the 5 point try, and let the kicker do the rest.

2. not in HS. i believe that in HS, like on my team for example, you are allowed to sub anyone at any time.

its a great game though. if you work at it, you can have tons of fun.

peace out
Rugby Union? or Rugby Leage?
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
uhm..i think mine is called something like the palmetto rugby association..i dont know, its just a few highschools in my area.

do dropkicks happen often? they seem like they would be impossible to pull off because as soon as you would drop the ball to kick it seems like you would get plowed to the ground.

and also, are the positions really relevant? i tried learning them but was left confused, seems more like the players just roam freely and dont have any set job since there are no plays
Quote by halo43
^^we americans cant distinguish between union and league. we're stupid.

union has lineouts. does your game have lineouts?
oh its two different games...haha like that guy said, im an american. rugby is completely new to me
Quote by MetalMan22
your allowed to drop kick at any time in football as well..... cool huh?

well..american football isnt quite as free as rugby..i guess you could say you can drop kick at any time you want..its called a field goal
well im not too sure about union its a bit gay. league is sort of the same, u can drop kick it through the goal posts for 1 point (often decides games and gets very intense) but if the other team are expecting it they will charge you and try stop the ball. u cant tackle someone if they dont have the ball, u cant stop a defending person from tackling the ball player... eh just look on the internet...... btw thats league

Quote by Rankles
Play real American sport, like lacrosse.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by E Daws
Play real American sport, like lacrosse.

i definatly would..if my school only had a lacrosse team.
football doesnt start till the summer and rugby starts next week until the end of spring, so im doin rugby
Quote by nine01n

do dropkicks happen often? they seem like they would be impossible to pull off because as soon as you would drop the ball to kick it seems like you would get plowed to the ground.

the dropkick is only really used by a designated kicker. when it is going to be used, the line passes the ball back to the kicker (usually 5-6 metres behind the line) so he isnt tackled. you never kick the ball if you have broken out and are running for a try. if you think you are going to be tackled, you either:

1. (if you have free tackles) allow yourself to be tackled and keep going
2. (if you have a mate coming up behind you/if you are on your 5th tackle) pass the ball back.

and also, are the positions really relevant? i tried learning them but was left confused, seems more like the players just roam freely and dont have any set job since there are no plays

um...yeah they are. the centres are the big bulky guys who try to charge through the opposition lines and make some ground. the full backs make the catches and run (fast and agile). the positions hold firm in the scrums especially. i THINK its the wingmen who make the huge runs and score trys (not sure, go to the melbourne storm site and its the position greg inglis plays).
i THINK its the wingmen who make the huge runs and score trys (not sure, go to the melbourne storm site and its the position greg inglis plays).

anyone can make huge runs and score tries. just the wingers are usually the fast people, and are the ones who usually score on the sides, or run in and catch bombs and chip kicks etc. the best way to learn is to watch a game.

btw u still havnt said whether ur playing Union or League

Quote by Rankles
Quote by Jakester
well im not too sure about union its a bit gay. league is sort of the same, u can drop kick it through the goal posts for 1 point (often decides games and gets very intense) but if the other team are expecting it they will charge you and try stop the ball. u cant tackle someone if they dont have the ball, u cant stop a defending person from tackling the ball player... eh just look on the internet...... btw thats league

theres really no point kicking field goals unless there are a few second left and its to shut the match down. otherwise you give it straight to them and they get a set of 6 down the ground. which could potentially end in 6 points their way
Quote by Jakester
Quote by rusticmetal
i THINK its the wingmen who make the huge runs and score trys (not sure, go to the melbourne storm site and its the position greg inglis plays).

anyone can make huge runs and score tries. just the wingers are usually the fast people, and are the ones who usually score on the sides, or run in and catch bombs and chip kicks etc. the best way to learn is to watch a game.

btw u still havnt said whether ur playing Union or League

yeah i meant generally. the same as anyone can try and break through the pack, not just the centres. my point is that the players are placed according to their strengths and dont switch your backmen and centres
Is it union or league that is pretty much just a fight?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Jakester

centres catch try-bombs and full backs catch restart bombs
i havent replied because i have no idea if i am union or league..does anyone know where i can watch a game of rugby online? ive tried youtube and cant find any full games