Page 1 of 2
I'm awar of the suckage that is the Marshall MG, but what about the AVT? How are vavles compared to SS and Tubes?

I found the AVT275 ($900) for about half-price, would $500 or less for an AVT good? I currently have a Vox AD30VT.
Valves and tubes are one and the same. Just different names.

The AVT series gets slammed on UG most of the time - I don't much like it myself, my opinion is that putting a tube or two into a solid state amp does not give it a tube sound. In fact, I think my friend's Vox Valvetronix amp has worse distortion than I can get with my pure solid state Fender and a kickass distortion pedal.
no
in my opinion, "preamps" are just gimmicks. my vox has one, it doesn't sound great or anything. and please don't buy and avt, if your planning on playing shows with it, then look for a new amp, because i played one of them at guitar center and when it went above half volume it cut out sooooo bad. horrible amps imo.
i wouldnt say the MG series suck as bad as everyone says they do.....and im about 90 % sure that tubes and valves arent the same man...that doesnt make sense....if they were the same thing then they wouldnt call them by 2 different names....even if the differece is small there still HAS to be a difference.....i believe its got something to do with negative feedback or something......
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
People bash them for being overpriced, but if im getting a $900 AVT for under $500, it doesnt seem that bad.
Quote by timmEH
i wouldnt say the MG series suck as bad as everyone says they do.....and im about 90 % sure that tubes and valves arent the same man...that doesnt make sense....if they were the same thing then they wouldnt call them by 2 different names....even if the differece is small there still HAS to be a difference.....i believe its got something to do with negative feedback or something......

I am pretty sure they are the same thing. theres more than one name for alot of things.
"Tubes" is the american slang for "valve"
thats why Vox calls it valve. they're British.
my grandpa in japan says valve too
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by timmEH

No, Valves and Tubes are the same thing. Tube is the more American name, while valve is mainly used in Europe.

The AVT's are all right amps, (Much better than the MG's) but I really can't recommend them even at that price. For $500 there's a decent amount of all-tube combos that you can find that will sound a lot better than the AVT.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Well I found the deal at musicgoround.com

If you guys can find me a better all-tube versitile amp on there for less, i'd appreciate it!
i played one yesterday and it didn't sound good for me, but that's me, i don't like the marshall tone
Quote by ECistheBest
"Tubes" is the american slang for "valve"
thats why Vox calls it valve. they're British.
my grandpa in japan says valve too

Marshall is british also.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by alienboy18241
Marshall is british also.

that's why they have the "Advanced Valvestate Technology" - AVT
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i got the b-52, its all tube and its supposed to be very versatile as well tho i wouldnt know becaues i just got it a couple days ago. heres the link if you want to check it out

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=485936

pretty good price considering i payed 750+ shipping for it
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by lanzaa
i got the b-52, its all tube and its supposed to be very versatile as well tho i wouldnt know becaues i just got it a couple days ago. heres the link if you want to check it out

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=485936

pretty good price considering i payed 750+ shipping for it

Nice man, looks solid. Im just getting ideas, I need to pay for my RG560 first, and pickups. I'll probably get a cheap tube amp in a few months.
Quote by paintITblack39
For the price of AVTs, you can get MUCH better tube combos.

Read my post before you bash it.

If they're so bad, find be a good all-tube amp for less than $400-500.
Quote by NinjaTrainer
in my opinion, "preamps" are just gimmicks. my vox has one, it doesn't sound great or anything. and please don't buy and avt, if your planning on playing shows with it, then look for a new amp, because i played one of them at guitar center and when it went above half volume it cut out sooooo bad. horrible amps imo.

I assume you mean that tubes in the preamp section of a modeling amp is a gimmick. All guitar amps have preamps.

Personally I would go for nearly any all-tube amp over an AVT, it's definitely worth the extra cash, an AVT isn't really any better than the Vox you currently have. If you didn't mind going used, maybe via Ebay, you could get something alot nicer for $550. Hell, you could pick up a 5150.

Also, valves and tubes are exactly the same thing, Americans call them tubes, Brits and Europeans call them valves.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by TJM2482

you already found one , and a peavey classic 30 for example goes there for like 300$ , there's also a Peavey 5150 there and fender tube amps , basicly there is no lack of options in general for tube amps in america for that price range , especially second hand.
Quote by NinjaTrainer
in my opinion, "preamps" are just gimmicks.

lol sigged, your vox has a valve in the power amp section not the preamp like the AVT by the way.
Threadstareter what type of music do you play?

And to find a nice tube amp for $400-500 jsut go to eBay
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^

oh and AVT's aren't good amps, maybe not as bad as MG, but so overpriced.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

the avt amps are ok, they have a decient sound but not a great sound. i had my avt for 4 days and it broke down on me so i returned it and got a dsl401 for the same money, there are lots of people on the net complaining about the avt's breaking down on them, a guy at the shop i got the dsl401 from said they had some avt's returned cause they were shite and kept breaking down, its your choice but id say get something else
Quote by TJM2482

Blues Jr.
Valveking
Epiphone Blues Custom
Fallen Angel
Peavey Windsor

Ta-Da?
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Chimaira
No, Valves and Tubes are the same thing. Tube is the more American name, while valve is mainly used in Europe.

The AVT's are all right amps, (Much better than the MG's) but I really can't recommend them even at that price. For $500 there's a decent amount of all-tube combos that you can find that will sound a lot better than the AVT.

+1.

avt's aren't good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here is basically what an AVT is:
+Cheaper than tube marshalls
+Less maitance than tubes (you do have to change the preamp every once in a while, but those are cheap)
+Sound fairly good
+Can be played quiet or loud and still have good tone, where as tube have to be loud
+SS has better overdrive with out pedals.
-Not nearly as loud
-Doesn't quite get that tube sound. Not get that classic marshall roar.
-Overdrive is muddier, less understandable, expeically when playing loud.
-Doesn't hold resale value for those who buy and sell a lot.
-The ones with the FX loops have crappy FX.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
I was at the studio today with my band and we were rehearsin and i was playing a marshall Valvestate which are like the old AVT's and i love it and want to own it too bad i cant...
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by alienboy18241
Here is basically what an AVT is:
A+Cheaper than tube marshalls
B+Less maitance than tubes (you do have to change the preamp every once in a while, but those are cheap)
C+Sound fairly good
D+Can be played quiet or loud and still have good tone, where as tube have to be loud
E+SS has better overdrive with out pedals.
F-Not nearly as loud
G-Doesn't quite get that tube sound. Not get that classic marshall roar.
H-Overdrive is muddier, less understandable, expeically when playing loud.
I-Doesn't hold resale value for those who buy and sell a lot.
J-The ones with the FX loops have crappy FX.

A not necessarily, the avt150 is a similar price to the dsl401.
B yep.
C Nope. Sounds crap.
D Virtually any tube amp I've tried sounded much better than the AVT, at ANY volume.
E Bullshit. The overdrive on the AVT is pants.
F True.
G Gets nowhere near the tube sound, IMO.
H true. At all volumes, IMO.
I True. Though the Marshall badge helps in that respect.
F True. The loop is pretty feeble too.

All in my opinion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well can someone help me find a better tube amp from musicgoround? I managed to find the AVT (usually $900) for almost half price, so im sure I can find other huge deals.

Im hoping for under $500, a little more or less wont hurt, and I want all tube.

I'm going to buy my RG560 sometimes this week, so I want to save up for something that will complement it well.
^ what music do you play?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play alot of things, I want versitility so I can play Classic Rock, Metal, Blues, all that stuff. i want somethign with good cleans as well.

Once again, check musicgoround.
i'd say either the peavey xxx, the laney vc50, or the mesa f30, all are around $600. the laney aor100 or 50 would be worth a look too, it was $350/$300, but you'd need a cab for that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Which would be the best? I know Mesa's are known as a great brand, but what about this cheap one?
Quote by alienboy18241
+SS has better overdrive with out pedals.

NO!

If i run my Plexi without any pedals at all i get better OD than an AVT is ever gonna get
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Im starting to favor the Peavey XXX over the Laney and Mesa after reading some reviews, especially with people saying the JSX is a modded XXX, and the JSX is the amp I want, but it's $1500.
Why do you have to buy from musicgoround?
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
I dont have to, but why wouldnt I if the prices are so much less? I mean cmon, with products going for almost half price, why not buy from there?
Page 1 of 2