Yep to both. YOU make your own decision and dont listen to the know-it-alls.
get ready for the MG bashers...they arent really as bad as they say they are...but you can do better
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
No.

What is your price range, the MG is crap. If you cant afford much, get a Peavey Valveking, it'll pwn the hell out the MG, and it'll be way louder too. If not, Laney make excellent tube amps at that price range too.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
many people are going to go nuts for the mere fact you mentioned this name. it is definately loud enough to play gigs however reliability is a big issue with the MG's but yes you can achieve rock/classic rock tones however there are many other amps better suited for this. Although possibly out of your price range the JCM 2000 Series (DSL, TSL) are very good tube amps. Check those out and those will still be very loud.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
what can the peavey valve king play i need one that can play mostly n e thing
Just a note here. You dont need a tube amp to play rock. You dont have to go out of your way to find a decent tone for rock, either.
Dude, go try the MG. When your sick of it or need a new tone, move onto the next amp. You'll know what you want after a while. The MG is fine.
wow... forget mg then lol buy like a Mesa Triple Recto or a KranK
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
you have 2500 hundred dollars canadian and you are looking at an MG100?

With that kind of cash guy buy a used JCM 800 and cab. Then you'll never have to buy another amp again. JCM800 = the amp for classic rock.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by demea
Just a note here. You dont need a tube amp to play rock. You dont have to go out of your way to find a decent tone for rock, either.
Dude, go try the MG. When your sick of it or need a new tone, move onto the next amp. You'll know what you want after a while. The MG is fine.

No the MG isn't fine. Its a scratchy piece of trash with terrible cleans and flat thin distortion and no resell value. It also has lots of reliablity issues also.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
To add more to this, the Mg isnt that bad of an amp, its just that there are much better things out there for the price, to have a better look at Marshall amps, look at this thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7838427#post7838427

As I said before, the Valveking/Winsor are better at achieving Classic Rock tones, and can be easily used for gigging.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=481331
http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?title=LC50-II
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
how much are the jcm800 or 900 the website for the store i buy at duznt have them listed .
2500$ canadian???? man you can do sooo much better then a marshall MG......
*shakes head in disbelief while walking away*
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
MG isn't as bad as everyone here says, but if you have $2500, you can get MUCH better. Look at a Marshall Jcm 800. That's my dream amp. Perfect for Classic/hard rock.
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
Quote by garrett7
can this amp play rock classic rock and clean? and is it good for gigs?

it can
Quote by garrett7
how much are the jcm800 or 900 the website for the store i buy at duznt have them listed .

a half stack would bee about $1400 US for the 800 and $1000 US for the 900, there is a JCM 800 reissue but it shouldnt be hard to find an original on eBay the 900s arent made anymore either,but theres almost always a couple on eBay.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
hughes and kettner triamp. my dream amp. look into it.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
garret7 is pissing me off. have you seen the other thread? wondering if a toneblaster is a good amp?

lets look at for a minute: you have 2500 canadian, yet you INSIST upon SS amps. i have nothing against decent SS amps, but the ones you pick are HORRIBLE, especially when you can do much better.

In short, instead of picking these amps based on how loud they are, go buy a decent tube amp. every single classic rock song was recorded on a tube amp
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by bonchie1
you have 2500 hundred dollars canadian and you are looking at an MG100?

With that kind of cash guy buy a used JCM 800 and cab. Then you'll never have to buy another amp again. JCM800 = the amp for classic rock.

fo sho.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
hm.. at one point i owned an AVT150H

as you can see, it's fairly similar in terms of features.
i did not like this amp at all. the effects are marginal and not very versatile. the cleans were bleh (but thats coming from someone with a great clean amp) and the OD was mediocre. if this mg100dfx is anything like it, i'd seriously reconsider.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by demea

if your going to a next step make a big one instead of 2 little ones wich cost more money alltogether
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jan 7, 2007,
Well stay away rom the MG if you want good tone. Check out a Traynor YCV50Blue and Peavey Windsor!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
MG's aren't as bad as peopel say. I've played through numerous MG's, and they've had a decent tone, and I own a MG30DFX and it is fine. When I go to my guitar store and play through the MG100DFX it is really good. You probably could do better for your price range, but it is a powerful amp with a decent sound. Cleans could be better, but the Overdriven chanel is great with the right settings dialed in.
^Well keep in mind tone is subjective, what sounds good to you sounds crap to me or the opposite.

Threadstarter: Id still nto reccomend an MG.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
At that price you can afford a valve amp, sure...the MG is ok for practice, but that's not what you're looking for, try out a load of decent valve amps and see what you think.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yes, It is good for gigs...but Im not sure about classic rock....Its better for pretty high gain metal and then metal with no to much gain
get a KranK Krankerstein. that'll pwn the hell outta you
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
Quote by blacklabelsdmf

those are just merely amplified farts. stay away.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by blacklabelsdmf

Are you serious?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky