Okay, sooo, I want to record. I want to be able to record an acoustic guitar, vocals, and a drum kit. I have two condenser mics. What do I get next? A PreAmp? A mixer? Something else?
You'll need a preamp or some other source of phantom power for the condenser mics. Better mixers have XLR inputs that supply phantom power. How do you want to record - direct to your PC, to a mixer with a built-in HDD or some other medium, etc? Also, do you want to be able to record all instruments at once?
Hi, I'm Peter
So mixers work as PreAmps? I was wondering that.

I'd want to record everything seperately.

I have no idea about what medium I'm going to record to... ideally it'd be the mixer with built-in HDD, but I've got like, no money. I'm considering getting one of those 4-track, 8-track, etc. recording things, but, umm, would that be a good idea? What exactly are they, anyways? A mixer with a cassette recorder attached to it?
^ Yeah, they're essentially a mixer and recording medium in one package. I have a Tascam Portastudio, which can do 6 tracks to tape. Tape ones are cheap and a good place to start. If you want to do everything at once, you'll need a few more dynamic mics, though, for the drum set.
Hi, I'm Peter
So if I were to use the Tascam Portawhatever I'd use it like a normal mixer and just plug the mics in and press "record"? I'm affraid I'd run into some problems when it comes to recording drums.

Would it be difficult to transfer it from the cassette tape to the computer once I'm done? Any specific good methods to do this?