I'm refinishing an old guitar and doing a custom-ish wiring job. I'm ditching the three singles and cutting a pickguard for only a bridge humbucker. I'm gonna have only one volume control, but I would like to install a killswitch. I know I need a mini toggle switch to do this, but what else do I need as far as extra wire, and how would I wire it?
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
you can use any switch you want, for an SPST switch (which I'd imagine is cheapest):

What you're basically doing is just grounding your output. When the switch is open, it'll just let the signal go from your volume/tone whatever knob to your output jack, when the switch closes, it'll ground your output.

The easiest way to go about it would be to solder the lead going to your output jack to either prong on the switch, then solder another lead going from the same prong to the output jack, then solder the other prong on the switch to ground.
Attachments:
killswitch.JPG
Last edited by greenbox at Jan 6, 2007,
same idea, you'll only use half of the switch though. or you can use use the same diagram as above, except ignoring half of the pins on the switch, and ignoring one of the end pins.

ignore the fact that is says SPST, it's for a DPDT (except i didn't draw the other row of pins)
Attachments:
killswitchdpdt.JPG
no, i'm sorry, your diagram is wrong, if you ground your pickups, you'll open your output jack, and that'll cause hum, you need to switch your output from the "hot" lead to ground, therefore the lead to the output jack must be on the middle prong.
i cant be wrong, i dit this to my bass, and it doesn't hum. If you look at your diagram, it just cuts the signal. If you do that, you get hum. If you send the signal to the ground, you wont get hum.
check out wldye_overdrive 's thread on his killswitch
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
well, explain this to me, how is it going to hum if the signal is grounded. in the on position, the lead from the pickups is sent to the output jack (which is in normal operation), in the "off" position, the pickups may be cut off, but the output (which your cord is connected to), is set to ground.

your diagram, on the other hand, does exactly what you're saying my diagram does. You're cutting off your output and grounding the pickups in the off position. If you did exactly as your own diagram, and you don't get hum, then you're just lucky.
Greenbox's diagram is correct according to the SD website for a master vol style guitar as the TS's guitar is going to be
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
Quote by lookie here
Greenbox's diagram is correct according to the SD website for a master vol style guitar as the TS's guitar is going to be

SD site isnt 100% right ... ive seen a few topics w/ people saying that and then giving the real kill diagram ...

i think that Sd just kills the pups & there is still feeback
but the other way eliminates the feedback
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
hmm is seems to work but i am yet to try it out. I saw this one site awhile back that had a cool killswitch wiring that worked out perfectly on every guitar/bass they tried it on. I'll try to find the link
Quote by rabidguitarist

Quote by daytripper75
The switch I was gonna get was the on/on one. Wouldn't this only have two positions? 1 for when the signal is going to the volume control and in turn the output and 1 for when the signal is being grounded....aka killed.

Also does this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/Basic_Wiring_Package.html
include all the wire I would need to wire the single/switch/pup?

And one last thing: Do I wire the pickup to the switch, and the switch to the volume, and the volume to the output? The pickup I'm using has 1 wire running from it, and inside the plastic casing there is another plastic cased wire, and a braided wire. Which is the ground wire?
Last edited by ledzep618 at Jan 7, 2007,
put the switch in the end of the chain, after the volume and tone. And for the wires, just go to a hardware store and buy wires, those seeme a bit to pricy.
What setup do you got? S/S/S with a 5way switch?
It's S/S/S and a five way right now...it will be 1 humbucker, one volume, killswitch
Quote by m_hedborg
i cant be wrong, i dit this to my bass, and it doesn't hum. If you look at your diagram, it just cuts the signal. If you do that, you get hum. If you send the signal to the ground, you wont get hum.

You are wrong.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Can somebody provide me with a complete wiring diagram, going from humbucker all the way to output including the volume pot and the killswitch?
Pink himself told me how to wire a killswitch, and I made a diagram of it.

That will work for a switch with 2 lugs, 3 lugs or 6 lugs.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club