Page 1 of 2
February 6th my family is hosting a big event to support our troops in iraq, I hate this war....We are hosting this because we have 3 very close relatives fighting over there and we are taping it for them to see...well my family asked me to play a patriotic song my guitar on stage...So i agreed but ive never really done a gig or played in front of alot of people, which i will soon and im nervous about it.. Ive been playing guitar for about a year but im not bad, and i was planning on playing jimi hendrix's version of the star spangled banner, Anyways

Do you guys have any tips so i wont choke on stage out of nervousness and mess up?
And as the walls come down, and as I look in your eyes
my fear begins to fade, recalling all of the times
I have died, and will die.
It's all right. I don't mind.
Just make sure you know the song good enough so you dont mess up. Other than that what ever happens happens. And hopefully it's for the best. Good luck.
SPACE FOR RENT
play that steve vai song... something and glory thats a kool one... i have this same problem after i get into the first minute or so i start to relax more and get into it but yeah i used to have like super stage fright
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Rock'N'Soul, thanks haha im going to learn the song the best i can, and C.C. ill check out that Vai song too
Hendrix's version of the Star Spangled Banner can't really be screwed, just lean in on the wammy bar for a while if you feel like your messing up, get your head together and move on.
the lesser known of the 4
I'd start practicing right NOW, if you want to do a great job, in a week to do well, in two weeks to do okay, and in three to at least make some noise that resembles "The Star Spangled Banner".

That's my tip, take it or leave it.
If you screw up too badly just douse your guitar in petrol and set it on fire and just pretend you meant to do it from the start
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
If you're feeling uncomfortable since you don't support the war, do it as a sign of support for the soldiers as opposed to a sign of support for the war itself.

Just to show a little repect, y'know?

-Jacques
Don't do Jimi's Star-Spangled Banner. If you're gonna do that just do it the normal way, maybe like Iced Earth's version, but I like the Vai suggestion, that song is nice. Jimi's (and Zack Wylde's just sound stupid with the dive-bombs (and those are actually sort of unpatriotic cause they're supposed to jade the song and sound like actual explosions and stuff.)
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
I have a month to practice and i plan too every night until then...And mr zakk i like your idea :p
Just practice the song as best as u can and if you stuggle on certain part the just practice that part of the song till u get it right, Then piece it all to gether and keep practicing till your fingers get raw. When you play the song for the croud just act like youve done it before and your like the king of the world.And for the song you should add your own style to it to make it more interesting.
GEAR:
*peavey valveking head and cab
*Jackson king v
*Shure wireless system
*dunlop crybaby from hell
*digi-tech bad monkey(boost)

RIP DIME
play the Hendrix version of the star spangled banner and say something like "this is for your damned war" (before) or "that was for this ****ing bloodbath" (after) and then smash your guitar (not neccesariy, but still a nice touch) and storm off...not only have you played a patriotic song, but you've succeded in voicing your opinon.

and +1 for the weed idea
how many people are going to be there?
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
its easy to play in front of people, harder to sing. you'll be fine.
Quote by esther_mouse
...bingo. signaturisation. like burnination, only even more flamey.

Worth listening to
my advise is don't do it if you don't want to, you shouldn't have to show surport for something you don't belive in.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
To tell the truth I was planning on skipping the dive bombs because i didnt think they were appropriate and I have been trying to kinda give it my own style haha
play holy wars....the punisment due.

Quote by eldanny
my advise is don't do it if you don't want to, you shouldn't have to show surport for something you don't belive in.

playing for troops isnt supporting a war.

its showing support for people who's lives are put in danger by the war.

so he's supporting people, not an idea.
i took a few shots of tequila and jager before i play infront of people. Ummmm... jimi is cool, but i think a simple acoustic version of wish you were here by pink floyd would be easy and prob might loosen your nerves too...
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Quote by Dimebag22
how many people are going to be there?

Anywhere from 100-350 maybe.
Quote by unplugtheradio

playing for troops isnt supporting a war.

its showing support for people who's lives are put in danger by the war.

so he's supporting people, not an idea.

I'm glad you understood my post
Quote by AndyNeeley
Anywhere from 100-350 maybe.

thats not too bad. i played for 500+ and its wasnt that scary. you get nurvous before a bit but once you start rockin' it gets fun (if your any good) if you make a mistake its no big deal tho. every one makes mistakes
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Quote by Dimebag22
thats not too bad. i played for 500+ and its wasnt that scary. you get nurvous before a bit but once you start rockin' it gets fun (if your any good) if you make a mistake its no big deal tho. every one makes mistakes

I'll take your word for it, thanks haha
Play "Let's Impeach The President" by Neil Young. Or that song "War" by whomever...
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
American Idiot by Green Day
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101

No.
Quote by AndyNeeley
No.

Yes.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
Yes.

I don't want to sing too dude its hard enough already not to be nervous lol
Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones

its about war....
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones

its about war....

K.. I'll look into that song thanks
First of all: Play Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix

Second: Playing in front of a large group of people is nothing. I do it every week. Just pretend there's no one there. They won't bite, they just cheer and sometimes shout Free Bird.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
Play some Anti-Flag. Preferably Die for You Government. Haha

Or you know, go with Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner, and don't get killed by your family.

Just don't worry about it. Don't think about it. Just pretend you're playing with your friends.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
Play some Anti-Flag. Preferably Die for You Government. Haha

Or you know, go with Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner, and don't get killed by your family.

Just don't worry about it. Don't think about it. Just pretend you're playing with your friends.

K...But why would my family kill me? lol
freebird? not really patriotic but it's kinda the right mood. you don't have to do the whole thing, but it'd be cooler with the ending solo thing.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Quote by myself101

he's trying to show respect for the troops, not start a full scale mutiny.

play star spangled banner and just pretend no one is there and you are just practicing in your room and you should be fine.

good luck
I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
get new friends. i dont associate with Fall Out Boy fans. they deserve cancer and humiliation. like ass cancer.
Quote by AndyNeeley
K...But why would my family kill me? lol

Listen to the song. Or look up the lyrics. I say they'd kill you because they are having a party to support the troops in Iraq. Yeah, just listen to the song.

EDIT: I guess you'd have to sing it too, to get the full effect.
Page 1 of 2