Lets say you use the G minor pentatonic scale. and i know that the notes are G, A#, C, D, and F (i think). So do i make a chord progression starting with a G chord, next is A# chord, C chord and so on? Im a begginer at this so...
No.

First, let me start off by saying G minor pentatonic is G, Bb, C, D, and F.

Second, where to begin? You can make a chord progression any way you like, but enough of that shit, you know that and you want to actually learn something instead of being left on your own. Let's explain the general chords "available" within a key.

You can find the chords that are "allowed" in a key by building chords from the notes of the key. The problem with a pentatonic scale is you don't really have enough notes to give you more than a couple of chords. So, let's use a scale that includes all the notes of the pentatonic minor; for instance, the natural minor.

G natural minor contains G A Bb C D Eb F. Your first chord would take the first, third, and fifth notes (G Bb D). This gives you a G minor chord. Your second chord would be built from the 2nd, 4th, and 6th scale degrees (A C Eb). This is an A diminished chord. Your third chord would be built from the 3rd, 5th, and 7th degrees.... and so on.

Since you are a beginner at this, I will now pause to ask if you are with me so far. If you are not familiar with your notes, and chord construction, I have probably lost you already, and I or someone else will need to explain further back.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he is talking about, for example, A# and Bb are the same note.
Quote by arms_cant_Reach
Don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he is talking about, for example, A# and Bb are the same note.

Sorcery!!
Quote by arms_cant_Reach

Just because A# and Bb are enharmonic does not make them the same. You don't build a G minor scale G A A# C D Eb F.

So, if you have nothing to contribute to the thread, **** off and don't pretend you understand something that you clearly don't.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by arms_cant_Reach

No, please do listen to psychodelia, the reason he corrected that is because he knows exactly what he's talking about.

A# and Bb are not the same note - within the G Minor pentatonic scale, the Bb functions as a minor third - writing it as A# implies it functions as an augmented ninth interval - which we know it doesn't.

If you write G - A# - C - D - F and call it the G minor pentatonic scale, regardless of the two notes (A# and Bb) being enharmonic, you are incorrect. It must be written as G - Bb - C - D - F.

Edit: sorry, lol. people not knowing their functions, pisses me off.
Oh, i see. its like A maj, were it goes A, B, C#. since the formula (triad?) for minor is 1, 3b, 5 , It would be A, Bb, and C# right? Because if you go to A#, its like saying minor is 1, 3#, 5.
Hmm... I deleted my advice accidentally. I sure hope you got that.
More or less. The pentatonic is popular because it offers a fair bit of freedom. When you actually work with the more complete scales, your options become a bit more limited.
^ so if im working with a more complicated scale, i would find all chords availabe in the scale, like what psychodelia said, mix em around and make a progreesion from it?
Well.. there is the chords scale.

In Cmajor for example (this can work with every scale)

I - C major
ii - D minor
iii - E minor
IV - F major
V - G major
vi - A minor
vii - B diminished

That's just a chord scale.
Quote by Maet
More or less. The pentatonic is popular because it offers a fair bit of freedom. When you actually work with the more complete scales, your options become a bit more limited.
You actually have more options when you use the full scale; there are more notes.

Anyway, the minor pentatonic scale is popular because it lacks "*avoid" tones. The notes in a minor pentatonic scale will sound fine over any chord in a blues or basic minor progression. It also gives that classic sound that we all love (or really loathe), but that's because back in the day, those guys liked to avoid the avoid tones.

*An avoid tone is a note that will sound awkward. technically, Eb over a G minor chord works, as Eb is in the G minor scale, but in general, you will not want to use Eb in that way. The avoid tones left out of the minor pentatonic are the 9th and 6th.

Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
Oh, i see. its like A maj, were it goes A, B, C#. since the formula (triad?) for minor is 1, 3b, 5 , It would be A, Bb, and C# right? Because if you go to A#, its like saying minor is 1, 3#, 5.
Major-1 3 5, A Major-A C# E, Minor-1 b3 5, A minor-A C E. You wouldn't write A minor as A B# (people will hate me for writing B# anyway) E, as that chord is technically A(no third) add#9, which is a ridiculous was of writing a minor chord.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jan 7, 2007,
Ok, i get it now. thanks guys.

Man, i feel so frstrated these days, so much to learn, i dont know where to start. I should really get a teacher, but im afraid my dad might say no.
Quote by arms_cant_Reach

No they aren't. Which you use depends of the function of the note. They may be enharmonic but they are completely different.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by arms_cant_Reach

50 bucks says he doesnt come back to this thread
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1