I have a book that teaches guitar music theory, and I am in the beginning learning Ledger Lines. I was wondering, how do you count these things? It doesn't really explain how you'd count the little lines and whatnot, and I'd really really appreciate a good thorough explenation of the basics. Thanks a lot friends!!!
they just go above or below the staff, which allows you to play higher or lower notes
Guitar Ledgers Lines....

--e-- <---- high E string, 12 fret
    d
  --c--
    b
  --a--
    g
 |--f--
    e <---- high open E string
 |--d--
 |--b--
 |--g--
 |--e--
    d
  --c--
    b
  --a--
    g
  --f--
    e <---- low open E string
Last edited by Maet at Jan 7, 2007,
i don't there's a real secret to it, it's just the more time you spend practicing sightreading ledger lines the better you would get at doing so.

i mean, i played clarinet for 5 years and because of that i can recognise notes up to around 8 ledger lines both above and below.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Some ledger lines have like 3 lines under it and one line through the dot, others have less/more, some have no lines through the dot, etc. So what is the diff???
Quote by CousticStrangla
Some ledger lines have like 3 lines under it and one line through the dot, others have less/more, some have no lines through the dot, etc. So what is the diff???

The "diff" is that they're not the same notes. If you know the notes on the staff, just keep keep going up/down chromatically to find the ledger note.
The note is completely different...?

Every "dot" is a note. If the note is through the third ledger line beneath the staff, it's an F (assuming there's a natural sign or no accidental) If it's through the fourth beneath, it a D, etc, etc.
treble clef

heres your staff:

---------------------------------------------------F------------------
...........................................................E (spaces)
-------------------------------------------D--------------------------
..................................................C (spaces)
------------------------------------B----------------------------------
.........................................A (spaces)
-----------------------------G------------------------------------------
................................. F (spaces)
------------------------E------------------------------------------------
ledger lines.....D
--------------------C--
------------------B--
etc...

basically, its going through the alphabet backwards when going down, when going up, just continue on the alphabet

someone correct me if im wrong. ps, excuse my lame staff
if you have multiple ledger lines, they are a third apart, just like the lines on the actual staff...the first ledger line below the treble clef is C, the line below that would be A, etc. the first line above the treble clef would be A, the next C, so on & so forth. note that those examples are notes in which the ledger line goes through the notehead. if you were to have one ledger line below the treble clef with the notehead placed directly under the line, that would be B.

hope that helps you.
let's get some f uckin' freeeench toooast!