yeah, ive been playing guitar for like 4 or 5 years...and can pretty mutch play any song with the help of tabs and get through it and memorized in a day or less without any problems, but lately ive been getting sorta fed up playing other peoples songs and really want to start making my own songs and understand why certain stuff sounds good together.

with that said, i was wondering what should i be seraching for on the internet to try and learn to help me know enough of the guitar to start making songs. i know some of you are probally gonna say a good guitarist can make songs and doesnt worry about stuff like, and its not good to follow formulas and stuff..but the thing is when im listening to a band, sometimes i can picture in my head and know what there playing...but i want to know WHY those chords and notes being played over it sounds good.

like what should i look for on here or google? is that sorta stuff called guitar theory? if anyone can help a little or alot, please do, thanks...and ask any sorta question if you dont understand ill try and answer it fully, sorry about the long post...

P.S. a kid i know was saying for me to learn melodies? or something im not sure..but i think he was talking about like single notes being played over like rythym

thanks
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

1. Read the article in that link.

2. Think about posting a question.

3. Read it again.

4. Think hard about it.

5. Ask away.
Ok, I will do that. And look at that link.

- - -

But if there is still someone that can help, please
Yes it is guitar theory you are looking for. Try to learn intervals, scales, how to build chords, keys, and the circle of fifths. It takes a while to really get a grasp of this stuff if you teach yourself with online lessons so dont lose hope.

Some good sites:

www.ultimate-guitar.com (of course)
www.cyberfret.com
www.wholenote.com
www.musictheory.net
www.guitarlessonworld.com
www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/index.html
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by brandenetc
...but i want to know WHY those chords and notes being played over it sounds good.

search for chord progressions, seek and you will find your answer.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

This is a fantastic theory lesson. Any thing you dont understand in it, search for in this forum and if you still dont get it, ask. The theory lords of MT are really helpful.

Dont let anyone discourage you from learning anything about music ("but Hendrix didn't know theory") as it can only help you improve as a musician.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
thanks alot metal4all, aswell...i wil read those links, thanks again,
i just bought the guitar grimoire for scales and modes, and chords and voicings, what do you think about those books too?
Quote by brandenetc
i just bought the guitar grimoire for scales and modes, and chords and voicings, what do you think about those books too?

No problem. I have never picked up any of the guitar grimoire books in my life but by reading their comments on amazon.com it seems like the chords and voicings one might not be good for the "How To" purpose of reading rather a reference. The comments on the scales and modes book seemed pretty good.

I haven't read the books so i dont know what exactly they say but if they dont teach you about intervals, i would recommend learning those before anything else. The link posted by Ænimus Prime can help you with that if they dont.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by brandenetc

I am not a big fan of the Guitar Grimoire books. They all seem like nice big thick
books just chock full of information, diagrams and charts. But, they all seem to
follow the same pattern: Give a little bit of information and examples in a single
key and then exhaustively expand it into each and every other key. Essentially
repeating the same information over and over and over...

So, in effect, if your Grimoire book is like 300 pages long, at BEST you're only getting
like 25 pages of useful information.
So, in effect, if your Grimoire book is like 300 pages long, at BEST you're only getting
like 25 pages of useful information.

true i hear what you are saying, i was talking to the guitar center dude about this, but he was prolly just trying to sell a idiot a book, wich he did 2 of them ahaha for 40$ so it wasnt too bad i guess...

i mean i know alot of people prolly dont like these bandson this forum

but like

Underoath
www.myspace.com/underoath

and

Paramore
www.myspace.com/paramore

- -

like what makes up there songs? like are they just basicly playing the same things, just diff frets? stuff like that...cause i dont want to be another kid in a band that spends hours and hours just trying to find a octaves that match with some notes, like alot of bandsi know do, they just make up a song screwing around, but then when they try adding more to it, they sit there for hours just really not knowing what there doing ahah, does this tuff make sense?
Their songs are made up of scales and chords and harmonizing and many other things that are made a lot easier by knowing theory.

Learn some of their songs and figure out what they are doing, what key it is in, what chords and intervals are used etc.

If you learn theory you will know what you are doing, why something sounds the way it does and how to recreate these sounds.

You should also have a decent knowledge of the fretboard, how it works and how to move around it and learn the names of the notes.

Now go and read the link and LEARN it, it is your new creed.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
The best Guitar theory you will come across. It covers everything you will need to know.

www.learnandmasterguitar.com
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Quote by brandenetc
"harmonizing" ?
how is this done?
You play a note and another musician plays another note.

Quote by brandenetc
a interval is the distance between two steps right?
A step is an interval. It is equivelent to two frets. An interval is simply the distance between two notes.
Hey guy's thank's for all this help, but do those CD/DVD guitar lessons really help? cause i dont really have the time this month or money for actual lessons from a instructor. Any thoughts?
Is there a good book available for theory? I want a book that goes from basic to advanced. I just can't always sit in front of my computer reading from a screen... I get a headache, so I would like something I could take with me... even read on the crapper:p
just read and it will all come
Keepa Cooli Baby at the shrine

PM HeartBreaker To Join Zeppelinism

Steey Dan Founding father

Bodhisattva wont you take me by the Hand?

Pm Caseguitar To Join the Steely Dan Club

Fender Armada #2 member Pm Arlabester to join
thanks again everyone, i think for now i have all the answers from what you given me, if i need anything else ill just repost in this, thanks again
www.myspace.com/wearemonsterrs