So today I picked up my first guitar. I got an acoustic. So far I learned to play Sweet Home Alabama, it sounds ok I guess, it still needs practice.

I wanted to learn American Pie but its so hard! I learned lotsa chords from it though, but Im so slow at switching them. Should I continue with this song, or should I try something easier?

Could you list some easy songs that sound good on an acoustic? Im really into classic rock, so something like that would be good. Any classic song is perfect.

Also, could I get some tips on how to approach learning a song?

Thank you
-Wish you were here by Pink Floyd
-The Wizard by Uriah Heep (not as easy as Wish you were here but easier than Sweet Home Alabama)

As for approaching songs, I usually play a little bit of the song on my computer (a few seconds) and go to the tab and kind of get that part. Then I go to the next lick and learn it. And so on.
New Rush album in 2007! Can't wait!
Quote by greekorican5
but Im so slow at switching them. Should I continue with this song, or should I try something easier?

Keep going, you will get it.

Remember this: Strive for accuracy, NOT speed. The speed will come once your brain is able to tell the hands what to do. And the only way to do that, is by repetition.

Years ago when I first learned Barre Chords, it would take me 10 seconds or more to configure my fingers for the next chord, the next day it took 8 seconds, the day after that 6 seconds and so on.

Stuff that is too easy will bore you, but at the same time, don't play something that is way beyond you.

If you know all the chords to American Pie, but are just having trouble when it comes time to change chords, this is good, you WILL eventually get it down nice a smooth.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Thanks for these comments so quickly!

I havent got though the full song yet, but Il work on it.

Right now im learning Wish You Were Here, but after I get that, i will do American Pie.

Thanks for the help so far
i want my life-Smile Empty Soul
This Is War-Smile Empty Soul
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Ok yeah I'm in the same position.. But currently at the moment I can barely do chords, my dad taught me a few, but I dont think I can do any songs involving chords at the moment, so you guys got any 1 noted songs?

So far I can only play
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Come As You Are - Nirvana
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground - The White Stripes
Truckdrivin' Neighbors Downstairs - Beck
Strutter - Kiss
Stand By Me - Whoever :/
Hair of the Dog - Nazareth
Hard to Explain - The Strokes
12:51 - The Strokes

Pretty weak, I know.. But maybe you guys can give me a few easy 1 note acoustic songs? I'm just in the process of getting that damn Barre chord working.. My finger is also bending to the side for some retarded reason.
i don't know if your into james blunt or anything like that, but his songs are pretty easy. well i guess it depends on which ones you pick. also, i just recently started and i like playing cat and mouse by the red jumpsuit apparatues, its sweet! and easy!
If every simple song i wrote
would take your breath away
i'd write it all
Quote by chubbychunks
Wow, you can do Sweet Home Alabama after a day!?
I can't do it after 6 months

It sounds good until you get to the part with all the hammer ons. Its really easy, just the last part of the riff is tough.

IM having trouble with Wish You were here. Can someone tell me what the strumming pattern is?
Ok, So I am getting pretty good at the intro of Wish You Were Here. Having a good time.

Eventually I want to learn Stairway to Heaven, one of my favorite songs. How long do I have to wait to attempt something of this sort?
i had a samilar question and had wonderwall-oasis and good riddance-green day recommended to me
Wow, I just found a great song to learn!

I got bored with those other 2, so I decided to try Whats the Frequency Kenneth? by Rem. Its pretty easy so far. It sounds really good too.
smoke on the water by deep purple is incrediably easy and sounds good on elec and accoustic.
Quote by greekorican5

Eventually I want to learn Stairway to Heaven, one of my favorite songs. How long do I have to wait to attempt something of this sort?

you need to learn how to finger - pick. ha, theres no wait time if you get too anxious at learning songs, you may become frustrated, so learn at your own comfortable pace. dont let anything piss you off.
Ok, Im getting bored with beginner ish stuff. I can play the intro to Stairway to Heaven, its surprisingly not that hard of a song, just so many ****ing parts.

Can I get some recomendations for some harder songs to learn? I really like 70s and 80s metal, like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, as well as stuff like hendrix and Pink Floyd. Anything like that would be great.
Look at your local music store for a book on three chord songs. I recently gave mine away to a friend of mine. Had some good songs in it. If you like Skynyrd, try Simple Man. You can play it with three chords. Am, C, G and repeat.
I'd like to add my 2 cents worth if you don't mind, oh and laugh if you will, but Operator by Jim Croce is an decent song, and if you know the chords you can fudge it until you get down pat.