I want a 50 watt mesa head. I have found two, the F-50 and the Single Rectifier. I know the sound of the rect pretty well, but not the F-50. How would you compare/contrast them? Is one of them better than the other in all areas, and an overall better choice, or would it really depend on my style?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jan 7, 2007,
Well, the Dual Rectifier is 100watts. IMO, the overall better choice would be the Dual Recto solo head. But youd have to get a speaker cab as well. If you want a combo, go for the F-50. Wattage doesnt matter all that much.
A dual rectifier is 100 watts.. and a little out of the league of the F-50 I'd assume.. You mean a single rectifier?
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
He might be planning on having two tubes pulled all the time... And the F-50 doesn't come as a head, does it?
^yes, it comes as a head, according to the website.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
whoops, I said dual rectifier int eh post, but meant single rectifier like I said in the title. silly me.

The F-50 comes as a head, I found some on ebay. The dual rectifier is a bit too much, 100 watts is way too loud for me. 50 watts is easier to get better tones at lower volumes. I already have a marshall head/cab but I don't like the head and want a mesa instead.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by De Amazing Blob
He might be planning on having two tubes pulled all the time...

That is strange as hell...

"Yeah, I'm going to buy that amp, and never run it with a full set of tubes."

>_>

<_<
Quote by Mascot
That is strange as hell...

"Yeah, I'm going to buy that amp, and never run it with a full set of tubes."

though that makes no sense in this context, I actually considered that once while thinking of ways to make a blues jr dorm-friendly.

back on topic: I fixed my question, so now it might make more sense. I didn't mean dual rect.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Just trying to make sense of it, seeing as he said he wanted a 50w head and the Dual Rec is 100
now that things are straight, any ideas?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
i'd go with the recto. the f doesn't have much gain at all, to me anyway.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
well, you love gains and mids, so I'm gonna have to side with you on this one. That's the sound I want. Is the recto really tight? Did that question make sense? and How are the cleans?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
^Rectifier cleans actually sound pretty good, to me. It's no fender but I like the cleans a lot to be honest.

EDIT: I don't know about single rectifiers though, the cleans on a 2 channel amp may not be as good, especially since you have less headroom. So I guess I actually don't know cause I've never played a single.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
Last edited by WayToSuck at Jan 7, 2007,
That's what I've heard. I'm not expecting a fender or anything. I know that Tomas Kalnoky uses one in Streetlight Manifesto (ska), and plays lots of clean barres with it and it sounds fine to me. Will the cleans at least be as good as or better than my AVT?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Hm like I said, I havn't played a 2 channel dual or a single, but I know that the cleans on a regular dual (to me) could probably destroy an AVT.. but even though an AVT is (pretty much) SS it's still no Jazz Chorus or anything...
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
Quote by Sid McCall
well, you love gains and mids, so I'm gonna have to side with you on this one. That's the sound I want. Is the recto really tight? Did that question make sense? and How are the cleans?

the single recto was actually rather tight. i really liked it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by WayToSuck
^Rectifier cleans actually sound pretty good, to me. It's no fender but I like the cleans a lot to be honest.

You have a Road King tho
Is the road king much better? Does it come in 50 watts? I've heard a bit about it, and was wondering how it compares.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by El Codyo
You have a Road King tho

I do have a Road King, but 1) it's a Series 1, not the Series 2 (the ones that have the Lone Star clean channel) and 2) I played regular Dual Rectifiers MANY times before I actually would up with my Road King because I intended to get a Dual Rectifier Solo head.

EDIT: To sid...

The Road King is really an amazing amp, but expensive... It has 4 6L6's and 2 EL34's with the ability to assign a combination of tubes to each channel, and this makes it switchable to 50, 100, or 120 (I think) watts. It would be 50 watts in the 2xEL34 or 2x6L6 modes, AFAIK.

Channel 1 on a new Road King (2006 or later I think) is the clean channel off the Lone Star amplifier, and is amazing from what I hear. I was pretty impressed with the clean channel on mine, so I can't imagine how good the Lone Star cleans must be.

Channel 2 is pretty much the same as Channel 1, I just use mine for a little bit more gain for classic rock-esque tones.

The 2 distortion channels (3 and 4) are basically a dual rectifier, but you have the option of choosing the power tubes for each channel and each channel has it's own control for tube/solid state rectification.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
Last edited by WayToSuck at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by Sid McCall
Is the road king much better? Does it come in 50 watts? I've heard a bit about it, and was wondering how it compares.

The new Road Kings are the king of all Mesa amps..IMO. Theyre basically every amp Mesa put out all in one package.

Personally dude, and dont take offense to this, it might be a bit much for you to handle. Not to mention theyre like 2,500USD...
Yeh its too much for me to handle :\ also, for the record... the difference between the volume of 50 and 100 tube watts isn't really that noticable... if you have it cranked enough to push the power tubes, it's loud either way.

The difference... isn't that much.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
lol I wasn't being sarcastic... I was actually agreeing with you. It's a lot to take in. It already seems to take an enormous amount of toying to really learn mesa amplifiers. When you add in the options of the Road King... there's a lot to take in.. too many possibilities. It's going to take me a LOOOONG time to really know the amp.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
^

Which makes me think that a simpler amp would be better for the TS..

Maybe a Marshall DSL?
simple amp? 5150.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I've heard a lot of people complaining about the road kind because when transporting it, a couple of knobs get bumped and it takes them half an hour to get it back to normal...
that's why you gotta get a flight case for it.

which only adds to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I definitley need a simple amp. I know nothing about the road king, so I aksed. I thought the single recto would be pretty simple. I really love mesa distortion, so I'm kind of avoiding marshall.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
^not for cleans though, at least not from the little experience I have.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
Im kinda in the same boat as the OP. Ive played a bunch of marshalls and some peavys but the rectifier modern distortion channel rubs me just the right way

I dont think i need the 100 watts of headroom and the 2nd od channel isnt that big a deal so im probably going to get the single head. Other than the watts and the 3rd channel youre just loosing a few tweaking bells and whistles on the back (no solid state rectification and not as many output options as far as i can tell). If i can scrape together the money im pretty sure ill drop it on the single unless i find a persuasive arguement to go for the dual.
ENGL powerball/ blackmore/ screamer?
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
^ he said simple.

in that case the single recto would be great for you. you want a simple recto, the solo 50 single recto for you.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565