i forgot to order guitar stringretainers are these needed?
Last edited by carousel182 at Jan 7, 2007,
oh those. You only need them if your headstock isn't angled. if its like an lp then you odn't need em, if its like a strat headstock then you do.

And I like to call them string trees, or string ts. Never heard em called retainers before
needed for a guitar to work sorry i was extemely unspecific in that question i just got worried and started typing lol
No, you don't need them at all. Most guitars don't even have them. They only make your strings look nicer around the tuning head by keeping each new wrap under the previous one. None of my guitars have them.
they add sustain just a bit
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
Quote by jthm_guitarist
No, you don't need them at all. Most guitars don't even have them. They only make your strings look nicer around the tuning head by keeping each new wrap under the previous one. None of my guitars have them.

Wrong. They increase the angle over the nut, which increases tuning stability. So they aren't needed, but help.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
theyre not mandatory, you can play without them. but they give you a few advantages. they stabilize your tuning, they bring the strings closer to the wood = more sustain. what i did on my project was place two string retainer, one for E and B and the other for G and D, and I also used a floyd rose string retaining bar (even though the project wasnt a floyd, and it didnt have a lock nut either)... adds greatly to the advantage (but some people tell me its an exaggerated move), you can get one at stewmac for like 12 bucks or something.

you have to place the string trees properly, you dont just put them anywhere. that depends on your headstock. look for a spot midway between the nut and the farther of the two tuning keys. move it about 1/2 an inch closer to the tuning key, screw it right there. if you used a floyd retaining bar like i did, measure it from the retaining bar to the farther of the two tuning keys.
Quote by deathmetalshred
theyre not mandatory, you can play without them. but they give you a few advantages. they stabilize your tuning, they bring the strings closer to the wood = more sustain.

It isn't to do with being closer to the wood, it's too do with the angle of the strings at the nut.