I'm having trouble keeping rhythm with the guitar while singing vocals. I can do songs that only require simple straight-eighth patterns and the like, but I suffer a breakdown on more involved rhythms, particularly when the strum pattern differs in rhythm from the vocals (for example, playing Oasis' "Wonderwall"). Any tips for a novice on how to seperate the two lines and keep them both going without becoming a mangled cacophony?
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
I had that problem too. What I did is learn each part separately and then once I had each part down I worked at putting them together. Eventually it worked.
(It helps if you really know the song too)
Does anyone remember laughter?
Fender Telecaster
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
practice....MASTER the guitar part to the point where you don't even think about it....then try singing with it.

Exactly, be able to do it while sleeping! Well not really but you know. Also kickass avatar, the pumpkins own.
i found the verse to wonderwall pretty easy its the chorus that got me. just keep on practicing, play along with the record you are learning and sooner or later it will all fall into place, and once you can do a couple it will get easier and easier with every new song.
I dont sing and play usually but i do some backing occasionally and with a complicated bass riff to play its not that easy. I cant exactly remember what i did but I think i started off counting out the beat i was playing out loud so saying like "1, 2, 3, 4" and so on, then i changed the rhythm i was counting out loud, while still playing the same rhythm and eventually you should be able to count in a really obscure rhythm while still playing the right thing. Sorry i havent explained it very well but thats how i did it
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
There really isn't an easy way to do it.
Some singers/guitarists say to just not think about it and you can do it, but you should master the guitar part and progress from an extremely slow speed.

-Alex.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean