So after giving up bass about 3 years ago and taking up guitar, my current situation is making me switch back to bass.

I had only played for about a year when I did play bass, so I have no idea where to start.

I have about $400 to spend on a bass and amp, and I would like to get some quality stuff with which I could gig with.

I know it isn't much but any information and recomendations on what to get would be helpful.

I will be playing in a metal band, and I would like to be heard if possible =]

I have no problem going used so any help would be great.

Thanks.
Duck my Sick
Last edited by GoddamnElectric at Jan 7, 2007,
$400 isn't much if you want giggable gear. Unless you have a PA, then you can skimp on the amp a bit.
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
why would you want to switch anyways..

id say, stick with guitar

but of course, its your choice
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
How much wattage do I want for small gigs, since I might not be able to use a PA.

And I don't really want to switch, but I'm the only one out of 3 guitarists with prior bass experiance. So I got stuck with it sorta. I don't mind it that much though.

I'm not giving up guitar, I'm just going to play both.
Duck my Sick
Last edited by GoddamnElectric at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by fli.pansy
why would you want to switch anyways..

id say, stick with guitar

go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

If youre going to play gigs at established venues they should mic your amp so you could get away with 200-300 watts in a combo.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Any recommendations for which combo I should look into?

My freind's brother has a bass from his Ibanez starter kit, would this be decent enough to use until I got my own bass?
Duck my Sick
with $400 ur kind of limited
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
His bass might be fine for now, but what you want to do is get yourself an amp with at least 250 watts ( better to have 300 or more ) and to get at least a 2X10 or 1X15 cabinet
Quote by Leper Affinity
His bass might be fine for now, but what you want to do is get yourself an amp with at least 250 watts ( better to have 300 or more ) and to get at least a 2X10 or 1X15 cabinet

Agreed, but I believe you mean speakers not cabinet. Get a used bass that's decent and feels nice and Get a good combo as suggested. Perhaps Gallien Krueger?
Yamaha make good starter basses and they arent expensive
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
+1 on the Peavey. I own the TNT 115 (make sure you get the TNT rather than the TKO, because the TNT has a horn). Its a decent gigging bass amp (150 watts), and it should do alright, depending on how loud everyone else is.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
The Ibanez will be fine for now. Then just go out and try different combo's out. Test them in a sound proof room or something too so you can see exactly how loud it'll get.
Do you have a bass from when you played previously? If so just keep that one and spend the $400 on a new amp its more important. I can reccomend the rumble 100 but you might be better off with something thats louder but might sound worse it depends on what smore important to you.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Do you have a bass from when you played previously? If so just keep that one and spend the $400 on a new amp its more important. I can reccomend the rumble 100 but you might be better off with something thats louder but might sound worse it depends on what smore important to you.

your post makes it sound like the louder you are able to get the worse your sound is, when with many amps i have played through you dont even get the full effect of your tone ( all of the sub harmonics and textures ) until you turn it up to at least baout 1/3 to 50 % of its maximum volume, and only when you are playing through a horrible rig, have horrible technique, or are turning the amplifier way past its limitations will it sound bad.
Alright, I will see if I can get a hold of the Ibanez... that was my bass before I sold it to him.

So far you guys have told me to try out..

Gallien Krueger
Peavey TNT 115
Rumble 100

Any others?.... you guys have said that I need 200-300 watts... but the TNT is only 150 so I'm kinda confused about that.

Thanks for the help guys.
Duck my Sick