Page 1 of 2
I have asked many professionals how to get the sound im looking for. I was wondering what type of effects pedal and pickups that would give me that saosin, silvertein, emery type sound out of my guitar?
step 1. take a shit
step 2. rub shit onto the pickups of your guitar
step 3. play some powerchords
step 4. whine into a mic
step 5. welcome to your brand new record deal
step 6. decide what to do with all the pre-teen girls attempting to rip your clothes off!

lol just kidding man i have nothing against emo and all that im just really bored, no hard feelings eh? as for tips on how to sound like what your looking for, try alot of chorus on clean riffs and a brighter sounding mid gain distortion. thats all i can really think of
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
So, i dont know a lot about this style, but by the band that you name, you need a nice overdrive, like a Ibanez TubeScreamer, or something like that, some EMG 81/85 pickups, or Evolution Humbucker by Seymour Duncan (or by DiMarzio?) a marshall, or mesa amps, no tube, its too rich pr this sound, and maybe a Gibson Sg, i know that there's a lot of emo how het it and sound pretty good! So my general idea is:

- Ibanez Tubescreamer, or Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, or Boss Mega Distortion
- A Chorus?! Like a Boss Super Chorus, something simple like that
- Emg's Actives Pickups
- And If you have a cheap guitar, buy this pedal : Seymour Duncan Pickups Booster, it can give you a nice boost!
Axes
- Fender Telecaster Standard Sunburst
- Fender Telecaster Thinline

Amp
- Peavey Delta Blues '72

Pedals
- EHX Memory Boy, Big Muff US, Micro Muff
- Marshall Reverb
- Crybaby
- Boss Super Overdrive
- Danelectro Wasabi
i'm a fan of the boss mt-2 for screamo stuff whenever my band (..ska band) takes a break while jamming to joke around. a good solid chorus pedal (check the boss line, its what i'm most familiar with) would do for the cleans, maybe reverb/delay pedals.
=deportivo=

"so this guy woke up with 6 different girls on 6 days of the week?"
"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
"...and on the seventh day he rested"
Quote by Esteban911
So, i dont know a lot about this style, but by the band that you name, you need a nice overdrive, like a Ibanez TubeScreamer, or something like that, some EMG 81/85 pickups, or Evolution Humbucker by Seymour Duncan (or by DiMarzio?) a marshall, or mesa amps, no tube, its too rich pr this sound, and maybe a Gibson Sg, i know that there's a lot of emo how het it and sound pretty good! So my general idea is:

- Ibanez Tubescreamer, or Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, or Boss Mega Distortion
- A Chorus?! Like a Boss Super Chorus, something simple like that
- Emg's Actives Pickups
- And If you have a cheap guitar, buy this pedal : Seymour Duncan Pickups Booster, it can give you a nice boost!

Wow, you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about do you? Because I don't think I've ran across too many Mesa SS products. All you did was list random stuff, Evo's and EMG's share absolutely no tonal characteristics, so I'm really curious as to why you choose those two.

A license or permit or something should be required to give advice.
Quote by Uberguitarist
I have asked many professionals how to get the sound im looking for.

Professionals in which field, exactly?
I dont know El Dude, cause I saw a lot of emo with that, just dont care! I say no tube, like, no Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or not something like this, if you cant figure it out, simply keep your finger away from the keyboard !
Axes

Amp
- Peavey Delta Blues '72

Pedals
- Marshall Reverb
- Crybaby
- Boss Super Overdrive
- Danelectro Wasabi
hmm. most emo/screamo bands use Mesa Dual Rectos and JCM800's in stereo, both of which are tube, so i believe you are dus pwnt.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Esteban911
I dont know El Dude, cause I saw a lot of emo with that, just dont care! I say no tube, like, no Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or not something like this, if you cant figure it out, simply keep your finger away from the keyboard !

Well it's not a far cry to think that you mean no tube amps when you say no tube.
But if he ask some help, i dont think that Uberguitarist knows a lot, and have a lot to spend on Tube Amp:O!!! So, i know that i say mesa and no tube, but, i dont think hes gonna buy somme mesa stuff:P!
Axes

Amp
- Peavey Delta Blues '72

Pedals
- Marshall Reverb
- Crybaby
- Boss Super Overdrive
- Danelectro Wasabi
For screamo, Ive seen a lot use Marshall DSLs and Mesa Dual Rectos, so Id start there.

What kind of emo do you listen to?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I see a lot of Gibson SGs into Orange halfstacks. You might want some delay or chorus for fun.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I've never seen an emo guitarist use EMG's (and I mean emo, not -whatever-core).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Well, I really like Saosin...and it sounds like they use some form of Randall or Soldano. You could get their heavier sound with something like a Dual Recto or a DSL100. A lot of those kinds of bands use:

Marshall JCM900s
Marshall DSL/TSL100s
Mesa Dual/Triple Rectos
Orange Rockerverbs
Orange AD30s
Soldano SLOs
Soldano Decatones

..etc..

As for guitars:

Gibson SGs,
Gibson LPs
Fender Telecaster
ESP/LTDs of different kinds

And thats pretty much all I see most of those bands playing with...
Quote by aznrockerdude
I've never seen an emo guitarist use EMG's (and I mean emo, not -whatever-core).

Agreed. Too bad thats probably not the kind of music hes talking about >_>
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
To me the definition of emo = Matchbook Romance lol.

Thats what I think of when I hear emo.
As for screamo I think of the Used. Basically because they were the pioneers of the genre.
Quote by kurdtkobaign

You need to get yourself some Sunny Day Real Esate or Rights Of Spring cds. Definitly worth the time
Board:
The is because Matchbook Romance isnt emo.
Board:
!? They are the apitomy (sp?) of emo! Have you ever heard their lyrics!?

In any case...emo sucks.

Ok Im done lol I dont feel like getting warned for going off topic!
ok, i'll do it for you.emo sucks :P
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp

You need to get yourself some Sunny Day Real Esate or Rights Of Spring cds. Definitly worth the time

psst... its Rites of Spring, and they're alright( if for no other reason than Guy plays a Ric)
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
psst... its Rites of Spring, and they're alright( if for no other reason than Guy plays a Ric)

Haha damn I should have caught that.
Board:
all of you bickering bastards shut the **** up

and threadstarter it depends how much money and whatnot you have and how far youre willing to go to get that sound. Most of those bands use medium wattage tube combos like a fender twin or an orange quarter stack, using mainly just normal overdrive. If you want some heavier shit, go with a mesa or something.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Quote by batman123
all of you bickering bastards shut the **** up

Do NOT try and tell ME what to do bitchface.

Hago lo que quiero
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Do NOT try and tell ME what to do bitchface.

Hago lo que quiero

tough shit, I am
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
bro's before ho's

Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ HEY. Dont misuse that. Its in the brotherhood of bros bible me and my friends wrote. We take that stuff very seriously and do not take it in vein! lol

OK SERIOUSLY IM OUT OF THIS THREAD! NO MORE SPAM!
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Stfu nubz.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Pfft. christian is teh suck
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
For a nice clear distortion sound:
Fender Tele => Maxon 808 (as a booster for the amp) => A delay pedal => A reverb pedal (might not be your style, but i like a lot of reverb. it makes people believe you use more gain when keeping your sound defined) => orange or marshall amp (with gain set pretty low, because it's boosted with the OD)

overall, just keep your gain low everywhere. Experiment with the amount of it 'till you have a clear sound with harmonics coming through. And push your mids to 7 or 8. it will get you there.

just my 2 cents; J.
It took me two years to find that I've wasted five years of my life

Proud Laney VH100R owner!
I would say if you\'re looking for emo/screamo sound, it\'s all about the type of music that you play. If you want to sound emo/screamo, play emo/screamo music. The singing makes a big difference too. As far as your guitar... i don\'t think Emg\'s are the right sound for emo/screamo.. They\'re muddier than most other pickups. YOu would probably wnat something with more of a bright sound. I would suggest a JB in the bridge and SD jazz in the neck... always a good combination.
Quote by kurdtkobaign

Thats what I think of when I hear emo.
As for screamo I think of the Used. Basically because they were the pioneers of the genre.

First of all 'screamo' is a silly genre name, but that's not the point. 'Screamo' is a strain of hardcore including bands like Jerome's Dream, Orchid and Saetia, 'screamo' is far more aggressive then whine-core like the Used.

Bands like The Used represent a poppy, watered down version of bands like Planes Mistaken For Stars and Four Hundred Years, these bands are what the term 'emo' describes.

Semantics aside, it sounds like he wants to play kinda heavy pop-punk, a JCM-800 and an SG ought to work nicely.
JB in the bridge is probaly the best if you're looking for a mix of emo/screamo/w/ecore. fosho. and to clarify saosin guitarists use a HnK triamp mk II through marshall 1960BVs fosho.
" The Bullet Special Edition has about 22 medium frets. Squier keeps it simple with the single coil humbucker...... Unfortunately it doesn't have switchable distortion."

Found on a UG REVIEW
This is the sound i go for too. All those bands plus all my other favorites in the genre i see using those ebony sg standards with the stock pickups. But theyre expensive, at least for me, at $1300. And then you'll see them playing through the dual rectos, and i find that cutting out most of my mids on my amp give me the right sound, along with not putting to much gain on, and staying away from that "buzzy" distortion.
If the minimum wasn't acceptable, then it wouldn't be called the minimum.
-George Muncaster(whoever the hell that is)
Page 1 of 2