I am looking for a nice distortion sound at low volumes for indoor practice. Right now the cube 30 is still a bit too loud even at its lowest volume. The JC clean's volume is perfect but once i switch over to the metal or lead settings, i don't hear anything until i hit the 3rd volume line, which is a bit too loud (my family can still hear it clearly outside the door).

I am wondering if getting a distortion pedal like the MT-2 will be able to solve this since I tested some pedals on a mesa boogie rectifier and it has nice distortion even at the lowest volumes, but i'm not sure if it's the same for the cube 30. Any help is appreciated.
Well the cube is a solid state so it will actually sound worse the more you turn it up. So its perfect for low volumes.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
K. Well, if its too loud for your parentals even at its lowest volume...tell em to kiss your ass. Cause it sounds good at ANY level. Dude the Cube's distortion is better than any distortion pedal under a lot of money, trust me. Get headphones or something!

And you didnt try an MT-2 on a Rectifier did you?
well i'm also looking for a variety of distortions, so i was thinking of a distortion pedal, but i heard some multi effect pedals like Digitech RP's have nice distortions as well.

Anyone know if these pedals work well for the cube? Since i've seen some people here use pedals with Vox AD series.
The Cube 20X has the power squeezer option for low volume, and a variety of distortion modeling (overdrive/distortion/metal/metal stack/tubedrive).
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Jan 7, 2007,
Pedals don't work well with modeling amps.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
The point of the Cube series is to give you a wide veriety of sounds that sound good even at the lowest volumes....

Quote by That_Pink_Queen

That's not always true.

My muff works great with my Cube. Especially used as a boost.

EDIT: If it's too loud for you, get headphones. A pedal won't really help.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

I disagree, I have a muff and it works fine with my cube, as does my wah, and synth, and delay, and looper.....
Quote by Robb987123Bass
How do I quote someone in my sig? If you look at mine, you'll see that I've failed

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
My Boss DS-1 works fine with the JC Clean setting, so I don't see why the MT-2 wouldn't.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
What is it about modelling amps that makes people say pedals dont work well with them?..what to pedals do to them?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Quote by TGM
That's not always true.

My muff works great with my Cube. Especially used as a boost.

EDIT: If it's too loud for you, get headphones. A pedal won't really help.

Do you have the 30 or 60 cube? Also, does the muff give a nice warm sound, or is the cube always too trebly with pedals?

Thanks for the help guys
Last edited by rexdime at Jan 8, 2007,
Ditto on the headphones. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up. Its not like it gets any better when you move out into an apartment. Now I have strangers who, instead of a polite "could you turn it down?", wait until they go nuts and tell the mgmt. Thats one reason I got the Pandora, now I can practice anytime/anywhere with minimal noise. You think a Cube is hard to pull the reins in on (I had one), I almost crapped myself when the Hot Rod came home its first day!
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
What is it about modelling amps that makes people say pedals dont work well with them?

Pedals work fine with them. I haven't had any issues with my Cube. I only have a distortion and an overdrive pedal. Both work fine with it and give the effect you'd expect.

I think some are just into promoting tube amps instead as if pedals are only meant to work with them, but that is just a big myth that doesn't hold true. Of course tube amps sound better but the are usually expensive to buy and maintain and they are too loud for us that only need a good sounding practice amp at home.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return