So I've been having problems as I try to play more technical things with my picking hand not being as "tight" and good as I want it to be. My question is, what are some good exercises for speeding up my picking hand and making it more consistent?

Some background info - I am nothing close to a totally noob. I'm just trying to get a lot faster.
Tightening of the pick hand is common, I think you will find your teeth are clenched too when trying stuff that is a bit faster than what you are comfortable with.

The only way you will get faster is by use of a metronome. Start off moderately, and gradually increase your speed.

Practice without the use of a metronome is like a Nascar driver without a speedometer, they know they are "going fast" but have no real " accuarate reference" to go by, and they can not establish exactly how much faster each lap was.

The guitar is no different.

The only other tip is practice, practice, practice. The more air time you clock up, the sooner you will improve.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by IlIk2plygUItAr
So I've been having problems as I try to play more technical things with my picking hand not being as "tight" and good as I want it to be. My question is, what are some good exercises for speeding up my picking hand and making it more consistent?

Some background info - I am nothing close to a totally noob. I'm just trying to get a lot faster.

you want the sound to be tight, but you do NOT want the muscles in your hand to be tight. honestly the best way to do this is practice practice practice. exercise your pick hand constantly, it took me years to get to where i am (i think around 12 - 15 nps and i got there after around 10 years) and all i ever did was practice and push myself to go faster, once the muscles in your hands are strong enough consistently and if you're nothing close to a total noob as you say then all it is becomes realizing that you just have to move your hand faster. if there is tension or pain then you may be unneccesarily tensing up your hand. tension will keep you from being able to go as fast as you possibly can. your hand and muscles should feel loose, they may fatigue (cuz its a hell of a workout to move your hand that fast) but they should NOT get sore. if they get tired then take a break and go back after they are rested a bit and work up stamina.
If you're working on consistency and fluidity of your picking, here's a few things that help me lots.

One thing is, aside from the usual 'start slow, gradually increase the speed' kind of practices, it's very good to practice in short bursts. Ie, take a short note pattern or whatever scale, play around 8-16 notes or so - basically one or two clicks of the metronome, maybe a full bar if you're confident with that, but play it at full speed. If you have some speed playing experience already, doing a short burst of 16th notes shouldn't be too hard, then you repeat this pattern several times. As you continue playing it, gradually start adding more notes to the pattern, staying at same speed - and play it without stopping for a while. It does take some time to get used to this practice method, and depending on your experience you might want to start with as few as 4 or 6 notes, but it's a great way of building endurance and consistant picking technique.

Another thing to develop a fluid, consistent sound is, play something at a very slow speed - something like 8th notes at 40-50 bpm, but work on making the transition between notes as swift as possible. I'm not too sure how to explain this better, but I think you should be able to figure it out.

And one more thing to develop endurance and consistency; take a fairly simple 2-3 bar pattern of straight 16th, or maybe 8th triplets, with a group or two of 16th triplets or 32th notes in it, then repeat the pattern for about a minute. Did wonders for me in just a few weeks.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!