cos im seriously considering buying one soon and i would like to ask a 6 stringer a few questions first. ill delete this thread once people reply.
i need to get a better signature.
buy a 15 string bass

or a 2 string bass...

Last edited by muSico at Jan 7, 2007,
no thanx.

basically ive been playing a 4 string for about 18 months. its pretty poor, second hand, got it free, but it serves me well. ive found a gorgeous looking and sounding 6 string bass in a music shop near me, and im considering getting it. im wondering if the transition from 4 string to 6 string is a really weird one. i just would like more notes at my disposal, as a musician, as well as having a new, decent bass anyway, but i dunno, is it more difficult? besides learning where more notes are of course. for example, the neck width might be awkward. what im trying to say is, i dont want to buy an instrument such as a 6 string and regret it because im not very used to it.
i own a six string and i didnt find the transition that hard. But that could be just because i have big hands

I dont really use it tht much and im actually looking to sell it just because i dont really use it in my music and i'm to poor to have 7 basses right now
I play a six string, takes a little while to get used to at first, but having the extra 2 strings is great once you get used to it.
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
11th chords are for fags.
6 string fretless here. Transition isn't really that bad, but they're fun as hell to play once you're used to em.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
I also play a six-string. I use it primarily for my band (because we're only three guys) and its almost neccessary for me to help replace another melodic element in our music, so the six-string helps. Great for melodic fills and even solos, if you know how to mess around with notes. The low B helps cut through the mix also.

What questions do you have about six-strings? Fire away. I'm sure between all of us you'll find a plethora of answers and advice.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
i have a 6 string guitar, but not bass...
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
I have a 6 string bass. I didn't find the transition hard at all and I love all the new stuff I can do with it.
Bass is my life.
I'm thinkin really seriously of getting a SR506, but i heard slappong was a bitch because of the string spacing, which I dunno, haven't managed to get around to the store for a bit to test this out. And also, canadian prices for a SR506?

Oh, just so this isn't spam, yea, I loved the 6's i played in the store. Having the highest string tuned to a 4th (G-C) makes it really fun for the chordy Primus-y type stuff, it's just combfortable.
The Space Farmer and Co-Founding Bastardo of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Quote by automatedshovel
I'm thinkin really seriously of getting a SR506, but i heard slappong was a bitch because of the string spacing, which I dunno, haven't managed to get around to the store for a bit to test this out. And also, canadian prices for a SR506?

Oh, just so this isn't spam, yea, I loved the 6's i played in the store. Having the highest string tuned to a 4th (G-C) makes it really fun for the chordy Primus-y type stuff, it's just combfortable.

I actually think the transition from my 4 string p bass to my new SR506 was easy. Slap and pop isn't that hard to do, but sometimes I still mess up by popping the wrong string.
Bass is my life.
I got a new SR506 in august. I didn't find the transition too hard actually. The only thing I find difficult is sight reading, since the muscle memory isn't there anymore.

The whole Slap/Pop thing isn't that bad, I mean you get used to the string spacing quickly enough.

The price for a SR506 new is about 700$ +Tax. That's the lowest price i've seen.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
I'm hopefully buying a SR506 in a few months. we'll see.

then i'll just have the niggly basses (fretless 5/6/8/935823 strings, paired 8 string etc etc) basses to get, before i have a nice range to choose from
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
i didnt really have any particular questions as such. the only one that springs to mind is: how has a 6 string helped and shaped ur bass playing? obviously, theres more notes, but im thinking in terms of techniques and different things to apply to the music. basically, im still pondering whether i should get it or whether my 4 string is fine as it is. but come to think of it, my 4 string is kinda sucky, in terms of quality.

also, is there anything about a 6 string that is more of a hinderence to playing than with 4 string? e.g. the size/weight
Last edited by MATTTHEMOP at Jan 7, 2007,
I find that the C string is great for chords and arpeggios, and of coarse the B string is great for those heavy low notes.

With that said. My 6 string has shaped my bass playing to use more chords, arpeggios, and play heavier stuff(because I HATE dentuning).
Bass is my life.
one more thing: are there any professional 6 string bass players i should look for on youtube or something, to 'convince me' that 6 strings are awesome? steve bailey is one i know, i have some of his stuff.
John Myung definitely.

And the youtube user Fingersmoran, his videos are pretty cool.
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
one more thing: are there any professional 6 string bass players i should look for on youtube or something, to 'convince me' that 6 strings are awesome? steve bailey is one i know, i have some of his stuff.

Tyr from Borknagar / session live for Emperor
Kristoffer Gildenlow, ex-Pain of Salvation
John Patitucci

There's plenty in jazz that use 6 strings.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
no thanx.

basically ive been playing a 4 string for about 18 months. its pretty poor, second hand, got it free, but it serves me well. ive found a gorgeous looking and sounding 6 string bass in a music shop near me, and im considering getting it. im wondering if the transition from 4 string to 6 string is a really weird one. i just would like more notes at my disposal, as a musician, as well as having a new, decent bass anyway, but i dunno, is it more difficult? besides learning where more notes are of course. for example, the neck width might be awkward. what im trying to say is, i dont want to buy an instrument such as a 6 string and regret it because im not very used to it.

Well, for me, it was an awkward transition. My biggest problem was I'd fret a string and play a different one with my right hand. But it just takes a little bit of time to get used to. Yes, the neck width is going to be much different, and techniques such as slapping and popping will seem difficult at first. But with practice it'll all feel much better. Another thing that takes awhile to get used to is the added weight, but with a nice, thick strap it won't be too bad.

Basically, I'd say if you've played the one at the music store and you love the sound and looks of it, go for it.
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
one more thing: are there any professional 6 string bass players i should look for on youtube or something, to 'convince me' that 6 strings are awesome?

Stefan Fimmers from Necrophagist plays a left handed 6-string. He plays it incredibly well at that.
Quote by vashts80
There's plenty in jazz that use 6 strings.

X wrong!

Most jazz players use a 4 string. Mostly because the play Upright. And for those who don't play upright try to get as close as the can (usually). I can't name a jazz bassist who uses a 6 string off the top of my head. Now if you can tell me 10 (or more) jazz bassists that use 6 strings I will apologize and admit that you are right.

(Sorry for being so rude about it. I just really, really hate that misconception that jazz bassists use 6 strings. I don't know how many people I've told I play jazz bass, and have heard the response "So you play a 6 string?" It's the one thing that makes me really mad about people pertaining to bass.)
Quote by elemenohpee
X wrong!

Most jazz players use a 4 string. Mostly because the play Upright. And for those who don't play upright try to get as close as the can (usually). I can't name a jazz bassist who uses a 6 string off the top of my head. Now if you can tell me 10 (or more) jazz bassists that use 6 strings I will apologize and admit that you are right.

(Sorry for being so rude about it. I just really, really hate that misconception that jazz bassists use 6 strings. I don't know how many people I've told I play jazz bass, and have heard the response "So you play a 6 string?" It's the one thing that makes me really mad about people pertaining to bass.)

Off the top of my head: John Patitucci

Not a 6 string user, but definitely an extended range player, Michael Manring
haha
I dunno, for jazz if your mainly walking you don't really need more than a 4 string.

In fact, you don't ever really need more than a 4 string unless you play in a band that tunes down.

But music isn't all about basic needs.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by Angry_Penguin
Stefan Fimmers from Necrophagist plays a left handed 6-string. He plays it incredibly well at that.

+1
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.