Page 1 of 2
I think homework should be an optional thing. If you don't understand the material that you're studying in class, then you should work on the suggested assignment at home. If you find it to be easy, don't ****ing worry about it. Instead school has to be this mechanical thing where if you don't do you're homework then you FAIL. Why's it have to be like that? If they made it optional then students would be challenged to make good decisions, WITHOUT SOMEONE FORCING THEM TO, otherwise they fail the test at the end of the unit. Done. Anyone agree? Disagree?
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Jan 7, 2007,
Member #1,267,859 of the I'd die for Dethklok club. PM Vigilantius to join.

Infanterist of the First Reich of the Grammar Nazis.

Quote by MusicMan00
I noticed the avatar before I read what you said. Then I read it. Then I laughed.
haha, we dont fail we just get in trouble. and i go to a private school too. i hardly ever do maths homework cos i hate maths but i get away with it. im the king of excuses!
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
School=Blackmail
I asked my teacher, "Why do we have to do homework?"
Teacher, "You dont Have to do homework, no one is forcing you".
BUT, if you dont, then you fall behind, lose points for that day, and it could snowball into low test scores equaling failing classes equaling parents taking away instrument*!* equaling homeless!!! See, homework is blackmail. I also make no sense whatsoever
Quote by Draken
that 0/10 was for gonzo slash, i despise him.
N.W.A Is Fucking Up The Program
Co-Leader Of The League Of Toxicity33, Kankuro And Dr. Gonzo Slash
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Gonzo, you're a cool dude.
Quote by musiclover2399
Yeah homework sucks but we're forced to do it because if it was a choice lets face it, people would take advantage of it.

That's the beauty of it being optional. If you don't do it when you don't understand it, then you're going to fail any tests you take.
i hate how when we are learning useless things like "surds" or some shit like that. and we say "teacher.... have you EVER had to use surds in your life? besides teaching it?" and shes like "...........................well..........no"
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
we get heaps of science but i never do it because he doesn't check it though, have to do the others though because they check it
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by Jakester
i hate how when we are learning useless things like "surds" or some shit like that. and we say "teacher.... have you EVER had to use surds in your life? besides teaching it?" and shes like "...........................well..........no"

surds?
wth is surds?
man HW sucks..
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
Quote by myself101
we get heaps of science but i never do it because he doesn't check it though, have to do the others though because they check it

HAHA THATS EXACTLY LIKE MY OTHER TEACHERS!
Science is crap..
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
If you are familiar with IB? Theres a shit load of homework! And if you don't do every single one, u fail. It's gay
u forget that people are stupid. if they werent, ur idea would be a wonderful system. if something is optional, only 2 of 30 students do this assignment (one who does it anyway, and one who realised he had to practice this kind of assignment), although at least 20 more could need the exercise. but they would all go like "this stuff is optional, then it cant be that important" and do nothing the rest of the day. in my opinion, its a very good thing that students are forced to do stuff at school.
Ibanez K7
JCM 800
Yer i dont mind homework unless its for pointless things. Like last year (its my summer break now) we had some crappy thing on some angles formulas or something. So im like "sir when will we use this in real life" and his like "if you become a builder" and i replyed "well besides that?" and his response was "moving on now...". But yer homework isnt so bad unless i already know it all.
Quote by Sir Garfield
u forget that people are stupid. if they werent, ur idea would be a wonderful system. if something is optional, only 2 of 30 students do this assignment (one who does it anyway, and one who realised he had to practice this kind of assignment), although at least 20 more could need the exercise. but they would all go like "this stuff is optional, then it cant be that important" and do nothing the rest of the day. in my opinion, its a very good thing that students are forced to do stuff at school.

Brainwashed. You poor, poor soul.
Quote by Arthur Curry
That's the beauty of it being optional. If you don't do it when you don't understand it, then you're going to fail any tests you take.

Yeah and not only schools but also parents realize that and they don't want you to face any downfalls at all. While we do learn from our mistakes, our parents want to keep us from getting hurt by mistakes at all.

Since they're in charge and it's way easier to not have to worry whether or not we've learned are lesson, things will keep going in the sake of an efficient society.
lol you should come to my school then.

we have a really rigorous grading system. your grade depends pretty much completely on tests, quizzes, major assignments, projects, etc. your hw is only worth 10% of your total grade and most of the time the hw are checked for completion only or not at all. however, the downside is that you have to do well on every test and quiz. even one screw up on a test can ruin your whole grade. that's why i still do my hw every day.

Yeah my teachers often tell me: 'Look if you don't want to be here, then leave! It's all for your own will!' 'But if I leave I have to repeat this hour after schooltime..' and they go try a start a new subject or just make a mad frown and walk away
The majority of Maths in everyday life is pointless. I stopped doing Maths when I joined 6th form. Since last June, I have never used trig, or any of the other useless nonsense. The basic stuff you need though.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
I'm in this new system in holland, you get work for a whole week, and you have to make it at school.... So... I don't make my homework at all
They dont even take the time to check it
TBH, i hated homework.

BUT... when i told my boss i wasn't planning on doing university, he told me i should reconsider it.

He told me that Homework/School/University/College are good for learning stuff (the majority of it useless) but it also makes you think. If people learn to think when they are younger, then the lives they lead are going to be more purposeful. I'm really ashamed of how the in Western countries students have this thing about hating to study. When i spent time among students in Africa, they lived for studying, they absolutely loved it, because without an education, they were pretty much shunned and sent to live in the slums. One thing we don't realize is that we're better off than most of the world's population, because we have an inherent right to an education, whether we want it or not.

So go ahead, don't do your homework, drop out of school at 16, and spend your life working at a Kwik-E Mart. But i encourage you to put in the 30 minutes a day, or 2 hours a day, or whatever, because in the long run, it'll be worth it.
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
Quote by rich_sg
The majority of Maths in everyday life is pointless. I stopped doing Maths when I joined 6th form. Since last June, I have never used trig, or any of the other useless nonsense. The basic stuff you need though.

Math rocks. And the whole point to learning math is to use and develop your logical thinking.
I just sit at the back of class and do the homework there, that way it's not technically homework.

Edit: God, I just read that, man I'm a loser.
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

You should get a head start on your homework while you're at school, so you can have time to do more important things at home, like nothing. And nothing is more important than homework.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
What is school for if we have homework?
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
What is school for if we have homework?

for the giving of homework duh
Quote by SuperRitsu
HAHA THATS EXACTLY LIKE MY OTHER TEACHERS!
Science is crap..

mine too, cept my chem teacher doesn't give homework. it's the only thing i like about her class, she's a very bad teacher, crazy canuk
I boycotted homework homework for half a term. My grade then proceeded to go down the shitter.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
i think we do enough work in school, we should be able to go home and relax
myspace.com/thecarlandbenextravaganza1

my band ^
All the homework except maths is optional in my school. Our grade comes from the exams and how you behave on classes.
Quote by Scarlatti
I'm in this new system in holland, you get work for a whole week, and you have to make it at school.... So... I don't make my homework at all
They dont even take the time to check it

Haha ja dat doe ik ook, alleen krijg ik ook vet veel werkstukken en boekverslagen op om te maken, dus dat is een stuk minder...
Quote by Arthur Curry
I think homework should be an optional thing. If you don't understand the material that you're studying in class, then you should work on the suggested assignment at home. If you find it to be easy, don't ****ing worry about it. Instead school has to be this mechanical thing where if you don't do you're homework then you FAIL. Why's it have to be like that? If they made it optional then students would be challenged to make good decisions, WITHOUT SOMEONE FORCING THEM TO, otherwise they fail the test at the end of the unit. Done. Anyone agree? Disagree?

I agree with you... Maybe if I got payed I would do it.. cos well its work... And the thing is alot of people know the answers but cant write them down...
Homework helps you get through the curriculum. Unless you want to spend more time in school, suck it up.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
90% of the shit you learn in school will never be used again in your life. But it is not about how handy the material you are learning is. Its about challenging your brain, exercising it in terms. By teaching you pointless shit, it makes your brain think more and by thinking more you can function better in the bullshit society that has already been made for you. HOW ABOUT THAT!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org
Quote by Arthur Curry

That's because they're building the habit on you and despite what you may think, it's a good thing.

You're going to have homework in the future which you'll probably understand completely but you're still gonna have to do it, it's called a ****ing job.

Once you get into university you won't be forced to do any more homwork, so wipe your emo bitch tears off your face and put on some clean underwear.
Quote by jazkel24
But i encourage you to put in the 30 minutes a day, or 2 hours a day, or whatever, because in the long run, it'll be worth it.

Guitar takes up all my homework time. =P
Quote by Jakester

Just because something you learn doesn't have a practical application, doesn't mean it's useless. Learning things in maths increases your mental proficiency.
Personally, i think that idea is bollocks. As much as i hate doing homework (i'm actually supposed to be remembering a 5 minute long monologue that i'm performing tomorrow right this second), i think they're forced to make it compulsory, otherwise, results with drop dramatically. Some of us may be responsible enough to use our better judgement, but let's face it, the majority are not.

So yeah, sometimes being an anarchist to education works, but not in this case i'm afraid.
Quote by Arthur Curry

im with you

i listen in class
i ace all the tests

but i have bad grades cuz i dont so my homework
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Page 1 of 2