I swear, I screwed myself over. For the past couple months i've been working on speed, and just now I discovered that I double pick each note to make it sound fast. This is terrible, how hard do you think it will be to get my technique in check?
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
i believe he means alternate picking

anyway try out Steva Vai's 10 hour workout i do that stuff and ive noticed my speed and accuracy go up!
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Quote by CowboyUp
What do you mean double pick? Like you pick it twice or what?

Yeah, I think I pick it twice.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
WOah wtf. Thats a SERIOUS issue there. Uh.Take it really slow, and only pick each note once -_- and eventually youll forget about the two picking thing. Do it slow enough that you process each action before you do it, so you can stop yourself from picking it twice.
Yeah, I have this problem too. It's more like he's tremolo picking while playing, so it seems like he's doing more than he actually is. Just practice really really slowly(well, as long as it's played perfectly) at the beginning, then work your way up.
When you guys mean play it slowly, does it still have to be in time ? Or just as long as it takes to perfectly nail the next chord or so ? Then work on the timing right?
Quote by Reez
When you guys mean play it slowly, does it still have to be in time ? Or just as long as it takes to perfectly nail the next chord or so ? Then work on the timing right?

Timing is essential. I suggest practicing chromatic excersises etc to make sure you seperate the notes. Search Google for "Online Metrinome" and use that to help you practice. 16th notes at 60 BPM is a good place to start if you're having that problem. (4 notes per beat)
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
Quote by Anarchy_Ant
Timing is essential. I suggest practicing chromatic excersises etc to make sure you seperate the notes. Search Google for "Online Metrinome" and use that to help you practice. 16th notes at 60 BPM is a good place to start if you're having that problem. (4 notes per beat)

It would be a lot easier (and produce the same results) to start at eighth notes at 120BPM. Playing at extremely slow tempos (and staying in time) is arguably harder than playing fast. Because his focus is technique, he'd get the same benefit without all the hardship from playing at 120BPM.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
This is something that you can fix! The bottom line when you learn anything is to take it as painfully slow as possible.

Practice slowly until you can play it subconsiously (without thinking about it)

Then at that point you can pick up speed!
Yep, speed comes later after you get technique right. do it at a walking pace and you'll get faster as you go.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
SLOW DOWN!!! best advice i can give you is to slow down and play with a metronome and get it PERFECT and GRADUALLY speed up. Trust me it works man

pepsi
Start slow with 70bpm 8th notes, and then build it up. Allways play as fast as you can without making errors.

But what is fast, really? I have no idea if i'm slow or fast... I think i can play 16th notes 140-145 + bpm good and maybe a little faster. ALTERNATEPICKING! Not legato. Been playing for 3,5 year. Bad okey or good? :S
3,5 year? Lol there's a bit of a differance between 3 and 5 years. But yeah, 16ths at that speed is pretty good, especially if each note is clean. Can you play that fast up and down the neck on clean channel? If so, good on you and keep up what you're doing.
--Stephen Roberts
Sorry, I meant three and a half year. Yeah i think I can play that pretty clean, maybe not 145 but absolutely 135+.