Just how important is alternate picking? When im playing fast notes i can play faster just downpicking then when im alternate picking. Will it help me in the long run if i get used to alternate picking now? and if it will could somneone give me some tips on it? because when i do alternate pick it feel very uncomfortable. Cheers.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
when i first started alternate picking i was just like you, everything felt uncomfortable but i knew it would improve my playing vastly if i kept at it. Now i automaticly play almost every thing using alternate picking and it is so much easier, i strongly recommend you keep at it. good luck.

Jammin.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

Try downpicking some Dick Dale, ouch!

Alternate picking, as said by Jammin, improves playing a lot. Keep practicing.
Yamaha 503TVL
Yamaha Pacifica
Squier Tele Custom II
Crafter bass
Cube 60
Kustom 2x12
ok thanks for that

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
On top of that, if you master alternate picking, you can keep a much tighter rythm. Alternate picking gives both greater speed and greater rythm control.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Quote by нαиd of вlood
Just how important is alternate picking? When im playing fast notes i can play faster just downpicking then when im alternate picking. Will it help me in the long run if i get used to alternate picking now? and if it will could somneone give me some tips on it? because when i do alternate pick it feel very uncomfortable. Cheers.

Heh. Just take a look at the movements you're making when you do all downpicking.
You're going to have to cover SO much more distance with the pick bringing it back
over a string to pick it again...

For the most part our hands don't come out of the box ready to play guitar. Lots
of stuff is uncomfortable at first until you work on it.
hey just a tip...
just keep your picking hand relaxed...
so not much tension is applied to it...
(don't take the picking hand into mere exhilerating speed where you come out
of the picking with you hand numb)
I had the same problem, It's just to spend some time with it. When you have learnd it will go 100% faster. Try to allways be relaxed, that's a key-thing.. have some friends who have big problems with upstrokes couse they are so tense.
Quote by нαиd of вlood

I think it comes with time tbh. Me myself, I can't even remember how I did it. I was SO used to downpicking only too, but then I started playing some licks using alternate picking and without noticing, I eventually found myself alt picking everything.
Alt picking enables you to play much faster and more comfortably (when you can do it). It is easier to play most licks alt as you dont have to keep raising your wrist to play a down stroke on the string.
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
What kind of stuff do you alternate pick? How do you know if you should alternate pick or keep downstroking?
i now usually alternate pick, but i downpick for hand of blood (or at least the intro), i cant get that down alternating, lol. And 'enjoy the silence' by it dies today downpick. I find it hard to actually downpick in that song, its just too natural to me to alternate. but i saw them live and i noticed the rhythm guitarist downpicked the entire song.
Last edited by Schmidt1989 at Jan 9, 2007,
Oh yeah and downpicking isnt all that bad, metallica downpicked whenever they could... and i dunno about you but i thaught they were pretty good musicians.
Quote by Molarmite
What kind of stuff do you alternate pick? How do you know if you should alternate pick or keep downstroking?

When you play something you can tell whether or not to economy pick or alt pick. Once you start to play the riff if alt picking is a strain try economy to see if it is easier to play.
So just play around with the picking untill you find a way to play the riff comfortably.
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
just practice practice practice! im not great at it... but im starting to get better, it feels awkward at first but after a while it becomes second nature
i would say just palmmuted downstrokes is very mutch metal-riffs. if you want to be abel to play other stuff to, ju may have to learn alternate. a fast solo like master of puppets is impossible otherwise.. good luck!

Every time you pick down you have to bring the pick back up past the string to pick it again - if you instead use that motion to pick the string again (alternate picking) hey presto, you've just doubled your maximum picking speed...it's a no-brainer really.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com