Basically, my situation is in two years I'm out of school and going to Uni in America/Canada (I'm in the UK now). I originally wanted to purchase a better amp (I was thinking tube) in the not so far future (during the summer) and basically I've changed my mind for the following reasons:

1. Won't be able to bring it to the US.
2. Too loud for a dorm (I want one I could Jam with and do small gigs with)
3. Would have to carry it outside to and fro everytime I wanted to jam in the music building
4. Too fragile to do the above ^^^^ on a regular basis.

So basically I thought I might as well go digital. The only thing is I'm affraid it's going to sound really bad and synthesized. I've been told by many that with today's technology that wouldnt be a problem but I simply wanted to hear your thoughts. Bear in mind I was looking to spend around 250£ (just under 500U$D)

Thanks.

(Yes I know I kind of answered my question by providing an argument for it but I am still not sure what to do.)

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Why wouldn't you be able to take it to America? Of course you can.

Digital is alright, but I don't think it's as good as the actual things it's modelling/trying to sound like.

What're your playing styles? There's a whole bunch of low wattage amps you can get.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well yeah I know I could bring it over but I'd rather wait till I'm there and get it in the U.S, that's another thing I forgot to mention!

My playing style? Very little indie, RHCP, classic rock, rock, hard rock, metal but nothing much harder than that. Basically I think I'm heading for a Queens of the Stone Age/Clutch sound: righ, big with decent amounts of gain.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
you know they aren't that fragile, if they can make it through a whole international tour without breaking down (usually) then i think they can make it through whatever you throw at them. just get something reliable like the new marshall jvm (that actually has midi in and out for using digital pro pedalboards) or actually you could go half way and get a JMP Preamp with a marshall power amp (with a choice of 3 different wattage levels 20 50 and 100 so you can pick as loud as you need) as then you can much easier take them around on your travels (you put them in a small rack case) and you don't need speakers or mics as they can be fed straight into the p.a. at gigs or d.i. for recording (although i prefer using speakers and mics d.i-ing is much simpler in the long run if you move about a lot.

lastly i'll just say that the jmp preamp can honestly do any sound you want it to its designed to do a good (valve powered) emulation of pretty much every marshall in existence.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Don't go digital. Digital modelling is still in it's early stages, and while I don't think that it'll ever be able to mimic amps, it certainly doesn't now. I wouldn't put any money into digital stuff unless it was a POD, as they aren't too expensive, but you'll need a PA to run it through. If that's not possible, I'd say get either a Fender blues junior or an epiphone valve junior.

EDIT: I've seen Blues juniors on ebay for $300 (AUD), and I'd expect Epiphone valve juniors to be less. I'd actually suggest the Blues jr, as it's louder, and you can just run a dist pedal through it if needed.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Last edited by xifr at Jan 7, 2007,
I was orignally gonna' suggest the Blues Jr.

And if you want to buy in America, that's probably gonna' be cheaper.

If I were you (and I play most of that stuff you play, and I've got a Blues Jr) I'd get one and buy an OD pedal or 2 along with it, then you're set.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Except blues jr in the UK costs over 600$, no exageration:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-blues-junior/341
(thats 627$)

That's also why I was thinking of going digital...

edit: to Archer:
What you suggested sounds amazing but....insanely pricy for a 16 year old.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Last edited by philjay at Jan 7, 2007,
i recently played those new spider models and i think modeling amps are getting pretty good compared to previous models. The spider 2 sucked big time and the spider 3... also, but less . If you're gonna use is to play on campus, i suggest buying a second hand pod or a small practice amp and then save up for a good tube amp. That's the way i would do it
It took me two years to find that I've wasted five years of my life

Proud Laney VH100R owner!
I was looking at the AM4 Pod. Within my budget (by a lot) which would leave me enough money to get a power amp at a later stage.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Quote by philjay

(thats 627$)

But you also said...

I'd rather wait till I'm there and get it in the U.S, that's another thing I forgot to mention!

Blues Jr lists here for $400, you can haggle it down or find a good one used for $300.

Great amp. Don't go digital. You'll be glad you didn't.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by philjay

(thats 627$)

edit: to Archer:
What you suggested sounds amazing but....insanely pricy for a 16 year old.

MF have the blues jr for $300 US new. You can get it for cheaper off ebay.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
BUt how much would it cost to get it shipped here after customs, tax, etc etc?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Quote by slatsmania
But you also said...

Blues Jr lists here for $400, you can haggle it down or find a good one used for $300.

Great amp. Don't go digital. You'll be glad you didn't.

So...what?

What I'm saying is that I'd get a POD and use it till Im in the US and then get a tube amp there. By that time I'd have saved up enough cash to get a reaaaal nice setup.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
It'll be much cheaper in most cases to buy your amp in America. Especially now with the dollar being so weak.
Quote by philjay
So...what?

What I'm saying is that I'd get a POD and use it till Im in the US and then get a tube amp there. By that time I'd have saved up enough cash to get a reaaaal nice setup.

Ah, I see now, I didn't read your original post properly.

What's your current setup?

The thing is, I have a guitarport, and these days it's main use is as a way of plugging into the computer without having to go around the back to plug into the line in. The best clean tone I get on guitarport is with the 'no amp' and 'no cabinet' selection (aka direct). In terms of distortion, it's only real use is recording, as it's far more convenient and easier to get a studio tone out of the L6 than miking an amp (though I'd take amp tone anyday). I would never even consider using a L6 product live. A large number of the distortion tones are unusable due to the extreme compression (such as the mesa boogie and soldano ones). I'll admit that the effects are good, but you want a replacement for an amp, and this ain't it. The POD/guitarport has it's uses for jamming(with backing tracks)/practice and recording, but nothing more.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
MY current setup is a microcube + RG321.
As you can see, anything is an upgrade here. Also, the advantage of having a Pod would be I could have decent enough amp models to Jam with while plugging it into one of the shitty 60W Marshalls or something. Although this is a replacement for an amp, its a replacement that I'll be adding to an amp at a later stage. If you see what I mean?
So what I'm thinking right now is getting a POD now, then when I can better afford a good amp I'll get one once I'm in the US where I won't get ripped off. Think about it, I won't be able to use the full potential of a tube amp in a dorm room and leaving it in the music building is out of the question.

Keep your oppinions coming though, I'm still not decided!

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Bump?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
I'd strongly reccomend a used Vox ad60vt. Compact, light, sounds good at all levels and gig worthy. Fantastic amp.

Good luck

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by philjay
MY current setup is a microcube + RG321.
As you can see, anything is an upgrade here. Also, the advantage of having a Pod would be I could have decent enough amp models to Jam with while plugging it into one of the shitty 60W Marshalls or something. Although this is a replacement for an amp, its a replacement that I'll be adding to an amp at a later stage. If you see what I mean?
So what I'm thinking right now is getting a POD now, then when I can better afford a good amp I'll get one once I'm in the US where I won't get ripped off. Think about it, I won't be able to use the full potential of a tube amp in a dorm room and leaving it in the music building is out of the question.

Keep your oppinions coming though, I'm still not decided!

Do your Marshalls have an effects loop?
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
i use digital and it good enough for me and cheaper
i dont care what others think either its the sound your happy with
Gear

Axe : Washburn A 20v with floyd rose trem and seymor duncan pickup

Amp: shittie Peavy rage

Bass: Hack one

Acoustic : Yamaha fg 300 a

coming around xmas digitech rp 250