When i try out amps (im looking for a new valve combo/half stack) i never think to try it with a pedal. Instead of forking out a load of moolah for an amp with good dist and cleans, is there a good option for dist/overdrive pedal into a good amp which will sound mighty good? I play a lot of foo fighters/muse/satriani/dreamtheater stuff but i dont really need the huge gains that petrucci does although it would be cool. I'm really into the radiohead overdrive tone in creep, and i know a marshall shredmaster is used for that set up, will that be a good pedal to use with what sort of amp?
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
Hmm, maybe a Marshall JCM900 (good all rounder amp especially mid gain) and boost it with an overdrive of your choice, should be a good setup.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
What's a good overdrive to use then? plus where's good place to buy JCM900's in the uk?
funny you say jcm900 because i never thought about looking into one until now.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
i use a Laney VH100R and i boost it with an EHX Russian Big Muff. It really grinds and it's my main post-rock distortion sound. You could a similar sound out of a JCM 900 too, if that's what you want. If you're liking the Radiohead tone, test the ProCo Turbo Rat, that's what they use. Or try a Vintage Rat, if you can find them. I recently bought one from a friend and I'll have it tomorrow.

- J.
It took me two years to find that I've wasted five years of my life

Proud Laney VH100R owner!
Either that or a DSL

Unless I'm being moronic and they're the same model -_-

I don't look at Marshalls much leave me alone!
i tryed out the DSL, sounded ok but the first time i tryed it was through 2x12 v30's cab which made it sound bloody good tbh. DSL with ProCo Turbo Rat sound good you think?
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah