hi can anyone give me tips on how to gallop pick like on metallica's battery and slayers raning blood?
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
relax while doing it, putting too much effort and straining with make it sound terrible, you want it nice and smooth, just takes practice
The same answer for everything. Practise it. Use a metrenome play it slow then build som speed.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Start very slowly, andd gradually build up your speed, and work with different rythms.
Switch from Galloping to straight 16th notes, ect.

-Alex.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
someone up there already gave the best advice, be relaxed, its amazing how fast u can move ur hand and not even feel like ur straining, the more u practice the more relaxed u can become and still do it
I got it down atomaticly without praticing its just essential for metal.
Just do as someone here said.
Play in kindnof 3 note bursts and maker a short pause (as needed) after every each of them.
Not hard once you got it down
Does anyone feel the need to tighten the strap so the guitar is like almost by your neck when you stand and do this? I have been trying to do it the way Hetfield does, and he's able to play battery so cleanly when the guitar is so low. His arm is at a 90 degree angle to the strings - I don't know how the hell he does that.
Try choking up on the pick a little. Also try changing the angle of attack between the pick and the string. When I started to learn them, I would angle my pick so it wasn't parallel with the strings. Once I got the feeling down, i flattened the pick out to clean my tone up a little.
Ibanez Xiphos 7 String
Carvin V3 Head
Randall RH300G3
Randall 2x12-1x15 Straight Cab
Randall 4x12 V30's Angles Cab
A Friend of mine totally changes his arm position when he does galloping riffs, probably not a good idea, but it helped him. I would suggest starting slowly and speeding it up over a period of time, don't try and play with the track straight away.
just run triplets along with a metronome, there should be 3 alternate pick strokes between each beat.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by 68_SG
just run triplets along with a metronome, there should be 3 alternate pick strokes between each beat.

Triplets and galloping are not the same thing. Triplets are three evenly spaced notes per beat whereas a galloped part (generally) has two 16th and one 8th.

TS: A big part of playing these is having the stamina to keep it going for a long time so it certainly won't come quickly, as long as your technique is relaxed and your movements aren't too big you should be fine in a few months if you practice for a while every day.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Triplets and galloping are not the same thing. Triplets are three evenly spaced notes per beat whereas a galloped part (generally) has two 16th and one 8th.

TS: A big part of playing these is having the stamina to keep it going for a long time so it certainly won't come quickly, as long as your technique is relaxed and your movements aren't too big you should be fine in a few months if you practice for a while every day.

I know, but he running triplets will get him on the right track of having notes spaced differently than on the beat and off beats. and from then move on to gallops. also i find running triplets as a fast pace gives you a better sense of rhythm.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
I've said this many times, but this is a vital concept to understand:

The "Gallop" is 8th 16th 16th and should be played D D U.
The "Reverse Gallop" is 16th 16th 8th and should be played D U D.
Triplets are three notes of equal time. Two consecutive triplets should be played D U D U D U, not D U D D U D. If you can play those consecutive downstrokes, man-up and downpick the whole thing.
i have a question about gallpoing, lets say you using down up down,do you have to only use down up down
My forward gallop (like Battery) is played D D U D D U D and it sounds pretty damn good if I do say so myself.... I can't do the reverse gallop (Reign in Blood) yet. lol
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Last edited by d4man at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by Suttam
Slayer - Chemical Warfare

prepare tooooo bleeeeeedddd

Oh please, if you really want a challenge you should really look into Iced Earth. Jon Schaffer is a beast.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Soooo galloping is D D U D D U D D U D right? And reverse galloping is D U D D U D D U D?

So the ONLY difference is the the first stroke? People never seem to explain the difference between the two adequately.

I mean, yeah, they say galloping is an 8th then two 16ths, and a reverse is two 16ths and then an 8th, but dont the two sound identical once you get into it?

I don't understand when people say they are good at galloping, but not reverse galloping. The motion of the wrist is identical... you just start the two differently. Am I crazy?
Last edited by Concat at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by Concat
Soooo galloping is D D U D D U D D U D right? And reverse galloping is D U D D U D D U D?

So the ONLY difference is the the first stroke? People never seem to explain the difference between the two adequately.

It doesn't matter what picking you use. The difference between galloping and reverse galloping is that galloping is an 8th note followed by 2 16th notes, reverse galloping is 2 16th notes followed by an 8th note.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
reread...nevermind, sorry!
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
I'm new and having trouble at galloping. Should I hold the pick? Angled or straight? Because I keep holding it on an angle, and it works better than straight. And being relaxed doesn't really work, and when I rape the string it works a bit better, but I keep missing the string or play it too many times. Any advice for good form?
Quote by KMBFA
I'm new and having trouble at galloping. Should I hold the pick? Angled or straight? Because I keep holding it on an angle, and it works better than straight. And being relaxed doesn't really work, and when I rape the string it works a bit better, but I keep missing the string or play it too many times. Any advice for good form?

Its really about how you can do it comfortably, and accurately.
Everyones different.
It's funny how far I've come since I posted in this thread . . . I can do it while standing now, with the guitar low. In fact, I don't even remember how I used to do it sitting down.

I just changed my angle of attack with the pick and it takes a little looseness in the fingers to get it as clean as I can. It's as close to perfect as it's gonna be, but I did it on stage yesterday and all was well.
Quote by KMBFA

Grab a metronome, put it as slow as you can. Begin galloping, practice this. Voila, you can gallop. Now master it.
Quote by Hudson12
Grab a metronome, put it as slow as you can. Begin galloping, practice this. Voila, you can gallop. Now master it.

Why did you resurrect a dead thread?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.