Whats the first thing i should know in theory?? every lesson i look at it says 'i presume you already know (something i dont know)', and always get confused. whats the first thing i should know and can someone give me an order i should learn the theory by?
can you give ma link? i tried some lesson on the UG. it just confused me even more.
Learning the major scale is important because more or less, it is the basis of all music theory. Every chord, every scale or mode, everything, is somehow derived or taken from the Major scale.

if you look at the second diagram on that, its a C major scale. if i would move it one fret lower, would it make a B major?

another question...are there many positions where i could play the C major, for example the upper diagram (any more apart from those two)?
hi zwound. yes, there are many other positions you can play the C major scale from, (and all the other scales). one thing to remember regarding the major scale is that they ALL follow the same pattern of note spacing: WHOLE STEP, WHOLE STEP, HALF STEP, WHOLE STEP, WHOLE STEP, WHOLE STEP, HALF STEP. The way it works out with the C scale is all whole notes and no accidentals (no sharps or flats). When you apply the same pattern to the other scales you end up with different notes (same pattern just different positions on the fret board where the sharps or flats are). So for instance with the G scale you end up with an F# (F sharp) because you start with G and follow that W-W-H-W-W-W-H pattern. With this consistent pattern you can construct all the other major scales and determine where there boxes are also. The one thing that is a little goofy about it is that the patterns are the same but they don't start in the same place on the fret board for when you change the key of the scale from C to G for instance. In other words, the pattern used in the 2nd position for the C scale is used in the 9th position for the G scale. Confusing when described but play it on your guitar and note that it works

my instructor has shown me the 2nd and 7th per the diagrams you provided and also the 5th, 9th and 12 positions, (after that they just repeat). what you do is position your index finger on the position location and then play the box from the root note (C in this case) and then move down the strings and back up again ending up back on the root note. one thing to be aware of is for some positions, the root note starts on the A string and note the E string. this is the case with the 2nd and the 12th position for the C scale. i will see if i can put together the patterns for you and post them

also - to answer one of your questions - yes you are correct about moving that pattern down one fret to play B. the relationships and locations are different. specific to the C and the B major scales here are the relationships for where the positions are played from:

C major 2nd positon - played in 13th position for B major
C major 5th position - played in 4th position for B major
C major 7th position - played in 6th position for B major
C major 9th position - played in 8th position for B major
C major 12th position - played in 11th position for B major
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Ibanez RG5ERX1
Fender MIM Telecaster
Fender Acoustic
Fender Supersonic Combo
Boss TU-2 / CS-3 / DD-20 / Vox Satchurator / Hardwire CR-7 / Vox Big Bad Wah / ISP Decimator G-String
Last edited by Tiarella Jones at Jan 7, 2007,
Yes, the C Major scale can be played anywhere when you follow the structure written about above ^. Also look into the A Blues scale, also known as the A minor Pentatonic. Learn the different positions of that and you can begin to improvise and start making stuff of your own. That's what I learned after the C Major scale.
Signatures are too mainstream
Quote by xDie_Romanticx
ok question so to make a d dorian who would flatten the 3rd and 7th intervals of D major or C major?

Take the D major scale and flatten the 3rd and 7th.