Page 1 of 2
I've been playing my Firebird through my fender amp for about six months now, and I think it sounds pretty ****ing amazing.

What I don't understand is why every time I tell someone my set up, they make fun of me, and say that a Gibson through a fender will sound like shit (even fully grown men, guitar techs, have done this to me, including making squawking impersonations of how it would sound)

I've played through a marshall stack, several in fact, at stores and rehearsals. It doesn't make me want one, I like my amp a lot more.

So what's the deal? Why to people hate on this? And why do you hardly see any professionals playing with this type of set up? (I haven't seen any anyway)
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
i play a les paul through a fender amp.. brings out the cleans, IMO. though mine is solid state, so if i had a fender tube it would probly be even better. i have no problem with that setup at all.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
well, iv played through a couple of marshalls and to be honest i dont really like it (they were solid state i think) but the sound of a fender amp is great. so dont worry wat people say because its wat u want not wat everyone else wants, plus it makes u pretty unique which is a good thing
that's cool man, thanks for the validation xD

I also forgot to mention that I play my les paul too, which has full humbuckers (as opposed to mini's)

and I don't really play a ton of blues, I play mostly hard rock, alternative, and classic rock, I run directly into my amp usually (or with a wah) put my guitar on ten and the drive on 9, it gets a great crunch...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

does the fender amp have overdrive ? because if it doesnt u may want to pick up a tube overdrive pedal
Quote by Cardboard
gibson sucks, i think thats why they laugh with you

gibson dont suck they are one of the best guitar brands around
I played a Gibson LP Junior through a Fender Blues Junior and it was the most amazing thing I've ever heard.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
lol, to clarify my question, why are marshalls seen as THE rock amps, and fenders as only for cleans?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by striker327
gibson dont suck they are one of the best guitar brands around

Yeh if you're into overpriced & overrated guitars they are.
Quote by Cardboard
Yeh if you're into overpriced & overrated guitars they are.

look dude, stop being an asshole, if you don't like gibsons thats fine, but stop spamming my thread.

and out of curiosity, what type of guitar do you play?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Ive played Gary through a Blues Jr. and a Silver Face Bassman and that were some awesome tones!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hamish5178
lol, to clarify my question, why are marshalls seen as THE rock amps, and fenders as only for cleans?

Thats a pretty old fashioned view point IMO. I think your set-ups class, people who laugh at it must be close minded fools. Brain Molko uses Gibson through a Fender Twin, and seeing as you have a Velvet Underground avatar Im sure Lou Reed was using some kind of Gibson Hollowbody through a Fender Bassman at the Bennicassim festival.
The obligatory gear list: Gibson SG standard,Maverick F-1,Epiphone Sheraton,'68 reissuse Jap Strat, Orange Rocker 30 and various pedals.
Electro Harmonix Users Guild #30
Quote by hamish5178
look dude, stop being an asshole, if you don't like gibsons thats fine, but stop spamming my thread.

and out of curiosity, what type of guitar do you play?

Ibanez RG 350 (No the bridge doesnt suck it sounds great)
Dean ML Noir XT ( <3 )

All played through a Little Marshall Valvestate
It's just a coincidence that all of them people that said that are complete idiots.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Cardboard
Dean ML Noir XT ( <3 )

my point is made...

thanks for the feedback you guys, but keep it coming, it's cool to see other gibson->fender players
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by Cardboard
Dean ML Noir XT ( <3 )

My bridge sounds great too, i get an excellent crunch out of it.

New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
My bridge sounds great too, i get an excellent crunch out of it.

pwnd?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by Cardboard
Dean ML Noir XT ( <3 )

Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
TS, what fender amp do u have, btw?

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
I'll assume your talking to me?

It's a fender blues deville 4 10, made in america back in 96

it has two channels (the new ones have four or something)
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

yes, TS = threadstarter = you

im assuming one channel is drive? kuz if you think the built in drive sounds good, then plug in an overdrive pedal and youll definitely be impressed

Quote by richwatkinson
lol ok,

i'm just used to being called hamish

i've been thinking of buying a fuzz face for awhile now, the boss pedal I currently have sounds so digital and shitty...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by Jonny02
Thats a pretty old fashioned view point IMO. I think your set-ups class, people who laugh at it must be close minded fools. Brain Molko uses Gibson through a Fender Twin, and seeing as you have a Velvet Underground avatar Im sure Lou Reed was using some kind of Gibson Hollowbody through a Fender Bassman at the Bennicassim festival.

I've seen brain, in concert videos, promos, and the few live shows I've been lucky enough to see, use a fender jag much more often then any gibson.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by hamish5178
pwnd?

hows that ? Whatever crunch he gets out of it, it willl always suck more than mine. Cause he has a Gibson
Quote by Cardboard
hows that ? Whatever crunch he gets out of it, it willl always suck more than mine. Cause he has a Gibson

dude, just give up
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by Cardboard
Dean ML Noir XT ( <3 )

Ahaha, that's great. You are trying to tell us what is a good guitar, when you play a Dean ML. Hahaa

Sorry, this thread is for musicians, that means people who play music.
Just let the good times roll.
Quote by Cardboard
Why would the leading hand give up ?
Ugh, what are you on about?

I know what you mean by Gibson being overpriced and not good enough for the price - and I agree with that. But they're not sh1t. Just overpriced. If you can afford one, and you like the way it plays, that's fine. But you can't slag good things off when you've got a fairly low-end Ibanez and most likely haven't ever played a Gibson before.

Anyway, back on topic, who cares if you're playing a Gibson through a Fender amp? You like the tone of your firebird, and the tone of the amp, right? 'Cause that's all that matters. The people who laugh are probably all wannabe shredders with crap Ibanez (Not saying Ibanez are crap, I love them. I just mean the low end ones).

By the way, can you even get crunch out of a SS amp?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Ugh, what are you on about?

I know what you mean by Gibson being overpriced and not good enough for the price - and I agree with that. But they're not sh1t. Just overpriced. If you can afford one, and you like the way it plays, that's fine. But you can't slag good things off when you've got a fairly low-end Ibanez and most likely haven't ever played a Gibson before.

Anyway, back on topic, who cares if you're playing a Gibson through a Fender amp? You like the tone of your firebird, and the tone of the amp, right? 'Cause that's all that matters. The people who laugh are probably all wannabe shredders with crap Ibanez (Not saying Ibanez are crap, I love them. I just mean the low end ones).

By the way, can you even get crunch out of a SS amp?

thanks, I was just really surprised when this 40 year old luthier started ranking on my set up, I figured there must be some secret that I didn't know

and yeah, cardboard probably doesn't realize he has a SS amp...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by hamish5178
thanks, I was just really surprised when this 40 year old luthier started ranking on my set up, I figured there must be some secret that I didn't know

and yeah, cardboard probably doesn't realize he has a SS amp...
What was this Luthier saying then?

Remember a lot of people can be brand purists - like it'd be fine if you had a Marshall with your guitar. But Fender and Gibson are opposing companies like and people think it's sacrilegious.

But like I said, if you like it, that's fine
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
What was this Luthier saying then?

Remember a lot of people can be brand purists - like it'd be fine if you had a Marshall with your guitar. But Fender and Gibson are opposing companies like and people think it's sacrilegious.

But like I said, if you like it, that's fine

we were talking, and I told him I had just bought a firebird (he had done work on my old strat before)

and he asked what sort of amp I had, and I told him, and he just laughed, and said that it would sound like shit, and then he began to make weird awful noises pretending to be my amp.

and another time, a salesperson at the same place said "the deville is just a bassman with a fuzzbox attached" and I was like the bassman is one of the most legendary amps of all time
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by Cardboard

ok so your comparing a low end Ibanez to a Gibson ? :F
wait..

does pete townshend use a fender stack now?

I could've sworn thats what he used at the show in September

although he also plays a strat now...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by Cardboard

Ok, just to clarify (incase you didnt realise)

I was being SARCASTIC.

Allow me to explain. There is no possible sound you can get out of just a bridge, so i said that to mock you.

Have a nice day!
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by hamish5178

because marshall is better for rock and overdriven sounds rather than fender and fender amps are better for clean than overdriven sounds
Dallas Green plays Gibson ES 335s and 333's threw some sort of Fender amps for his cleans when hes doing City adn Color, and his tone is amazing
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic