Alright, so i want to take the paint off of my p-bass and sand the body into a slightly new shape. The shaping wont be hard, i can just use and electric sander, and the re-painting will be fine aswell. My question is, is it ok to manually remove large chips from the guitar (paint)? THere are already some good-sized chunks out of it and it seems as though i could just pry them off with ruler or screwdriver.
Member of the SOAD Fan club.

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
"Noob can't even kill level 2 boars."
Originally Posted by clincher09
just might be testicular cancer, but I bet you'd give your left nut not to have cancer
Last edited by GreenPhantom at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by GreenPhantom
Alright, so i want to take the paint off of my p-bass and sand the body into a slightly new shape. The shaping wont be hard, i can just use and electric sander, and the re-painting will be fine aswell. My question is, is it ok to manually remove large chips from the guitar (paint)? THere are already some good-sized chunks out of it and it seems as though i could just pry them off with ruler or screwdriver.

If you chip the paint you won't get the sealer off as well; which will be missing from the parts which you shaped. I'm not sure if it'll matter, but you will end up applying sealer on top of sealer.

Oh, and don't use the term 'pimp' or 'pimpin', it makes me think you are a 12 year old girl who watches too much MTV.
I wouldn't try prying of the finish as you may accidently chip/dent the wood in doing so, giving you more work in the long run.
Quote by mr_hankey

Oh, and don't use the term 'pimp' or 'pimpin', it makes me think you are a 12 year old girl who watches too much MTV.

customizing sound better?
Member of the SOAD Fan club.

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
"Noob can't even kill level 2 boars."
Originally Posted by clincher09
just might be testicular cancer, but I bet you'd give your left nut not to have cancer
Quote by GreenPhantom
customizing sound better?

Definitely. 'Modding' works too.
i dont understand your cuestion TBH
How do you pry out a lack of paint??
or am i missing a tirck?
Leaders Of Men
IndieStore

-Gig Rig-
Fender MIM Strat (arctic white)
Boss ME-50
HH Performer 150.

-Practice Rig-
Squire Master Series Deluxe Thinline Telecaster. w/ Bill lawrence XL-500
Boss ME-50
Marshall MG15CDR
you can chip the paint off flake by flake, but you'd be better off sanding, as you'd have to sand after the chipping to get a level surface anyway, and paint has a nasty habit of getting under your fingernails and making them bleed when you chip it.. its a right pain in the @rse...

northy, he wants to pry at the edges of the chips to take more paint off

"You're a MESS!"
yeah...dont reshape it. it will lose its value, and may ruin it. just....repaint it, or relic it...but burn it if its an encore bass.
aaah i see.
yeah deffo just sand it.
Leaders Of Men
IndieStore

-Gig Rig-
Fender MIM Strat (arctic white)
Boss ME-50
HH Performer 150.

-Practice Rig-
Squire Master Series Deluxe Thinline Telecaster. w/ Bill lawrence XL-500
Boss ME-50
Marshall MG15CDR