Hi there,

Anything that could extend the life of my strings? I use nickel wound daddarios mostly 10-46.. After 30 mins or so of playing the strings start to turn yellowish allready on the parts that I hit the most. I think it has to do with my sweaty hands.. even if I wipe them with a cloth after a while of playing.. doesn't help much. I tried higher gauge strings & different brands (still nickel wound).. Nada.

Basically after 2-3 days of playing casually my G, B & E strings are going from shiny silver to a mucky brown colour.. I'd have to replace my strings twice a week almost to keep the sound good..

Any advice? Different strings? Something to dehydrate my hands?

Any help is welcome.
I have the same problem. I have to use Elixir strings.They cost twice as much, and aren't quite as nice, but last for ages, where normal strings only last me a week or so.
sweaty hands? fashion some elaborate pumping system to pump the sweat to a big container. and then you can drink it and not lose any body fluids
Put talcom powder on your hands, and wipe your guitar, especially strings down after playing....thats what it said in Total Guitar magazine
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
I had the same problem with d'addario 10s. Even cleaning my fretboard and wiping the strings down after playing didn't work. It had to something to do with the chemical components of my sweat and the humidity of my room. I switched to elixer strings and they last a lot longer. And they sound pretty good, not noticeablly different from other strings.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Also, use Finger Ease. I spray it on the strings and on the back of the neck, it makes things smooth. Its not a total solution, but certainly helps. The stuff comes in little spray cans and is like $3-4
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Thanks for the replies, I'll try the talk powder & if that doesn't help I'll guess I'll buy elixir strings.. I just hope that the sound isn't too drastically different, I really like the classic nickel wound string sound.

It had to something to do with the chemical components of my sweat and the humidity of my room.

Can you elaborate? What's wrong with the components of your sweat & what's up with your room's humidity?
As far as I know some people have a higher consentration of certain chemicals in their sweat. I don't know which chemcials exactly and how common it is but you can probably find more information about it on google. I remeber more people on UG also have the problem of their strings rusting very fast because of their sweat so I guess it's quite a common problem.

The humidity in my room can get pretty high because a washdryer is right next to my room, and when it's on it creates a lot of very humid air. When I leave my window closed it even get a lot of condensation on it.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Do you keep your guitar in a case? If so, don't worry about powder and sprays, just get some ghs fast fret to wipe off your strings when you're done playing, and make sure you have some of the silica gel packets that come in shipping boxes. It pretty much absorbs all the humidity in the case that causes the strings to rust. My roomate doesn't even clean his strings, and just by having it in his case they go at least 4 weeks without showing any discoloration.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Do you keep your guitar in a case? If so, don't worry about powder and sprays, just get some ghs fast fret to wipe off your strings when you're done playing, and make sure you have some of the silica gel packets that come in shipping boxes. It pretty much absorbs all the humidity in the case that causes the strings to rust. My roomate doesn't even clean his strings, and just by having it in his case they go at least 4 weeks without showing any discoloration.

Well.. that wouldn't even work for me as they start discolouring 10 minutes after I start playing on them.. haha
Dude just wash your hands before you play. Takes 30 seconds. Wipe off your strings afterwards too. Also, an after-play string conditioner (I use Dr. Stringfellow) helps a ton too. Just by washing my hands thuroughly before I play my strings have stayed alive 3-4 times longer.

If anything. Use Elixers.

Whoever said 'theyre not as good'...Elixers are really nice.
Also look into DR Black Beauties. Apparently they're just as good as Elixirs but have a much better tone.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
D'addarios do lose their color really fast, but it doesn't affect the tone for a while. I use a single set for around 20 days and I never experience any tone loss at the end of that period. They do turn blackish-brown in just a couple days, though.

Oh and, it's not just D'addarios btw. Any nickel-wound strings will suffer from this to some extent.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Hehe ... my mate has the same problem . Satanic acid sweat .

Strings get the corroded toe jam look Man he goes through so many strings .

All you can do is wash your hands before you play . Wear sweatbands ... and keep a little sweat towl around . Whipe down your guitar after you play it .

Remember him snapping a string during a gig once and my other mate loaned him his ax . Hehe had to change the strings the next day . All rusted

You are a mutant not much can be done
Quote by ar73m
D'addarios do lose their color really fast, but it doesn't affect the tone for a while. I use a single set for around 20 days and I never experience any tone loss at the end of that period. They do turn blackish-brown in just a couple days, though.

Oh and, it's not just D'addarios btw. Any nickel-wound strings will suffer from this to some extent.
They do? My Fender nickel wound 9's have been on my LP for just over a month now and they've lasted really well. Barely any discolouration on the treble strings, and the bass strings look the same as they always did to me.
Just use fast fret. I've been using it for over 10 years and it works wonders.
I used fast fret, which is good but I also suffer the same problem. I've got the Rory Gallagher thing, I've had my Thunderbird repainted 3 times in 2 years because of it. So strings are an absolute nightmare, so I'd also like to thank everyone for the advice.
Quote by MrCarrot
They do? My Fender nickel wound 9's have been on my LP for just over a month now and they've lasted really well. Barely any discolouration on the treble strings, and the bass strings look the same as they always did to me.

Maybe I'm wrong, then Pretty sure nickel loses it's shine fairly quickly, though.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by ar73m
Maybe I'm wrong, then Pretty sure nickel loses it's shine fairly quickly, though.
Well they aren't particularly shiny, but they ain't yellow
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

As for washing my hands, that doesn't work do much, but the talk powder certainly helps out a bit. I'm gonna get myself the Elixirs tomorrow & perhaps a couple of other non-nickel strings to try out & see which tone I like.

Easier would be just to use the products you recommend, but they don't carry them here & I don't feel like spending €20 shipping on a $5 product ;(