Hi im looking for a new guitar amp, i own a spider II and dont like it at all not very nice tones, i play classic rock like guns n roses, led zepplin, the beatles, deep purple ac/dc, i really like the tone that Slash has so something like that. Ive looked at the Vox AD-30vt and 50 they seem really good and lots of good tones, any other suggestions?
Best thing to do is just run by the local shop and plug yourself in, try out as many as you can. I would definitely look at a few Marshalls while you're there, pick out the right one and you'll love it forever (I don't personally have one but my buddy brought his tiny little Marshall over and that thing has some amazing sounds that come out of it...don't remember the model though).
If you dont like the Spider, then the AD-30vt won't be much better becuase it's also a modeling amp. Like the Spider it sounds really digital and cold, and if it means anything to you they do not get loud.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
NO MG!!!! im saying this not because everybody else says it. but i have an AVT 100x and its much better than the MG, has 3 different channels, 16 effects built into it including delay,reverb,decay and flange. another cool thing about this amp is its footswitch, has LED lights to tell you what channel your using unlike the MG. im not sure on VOX although alot of people on here say theyre good. i also hear the fender reverb is a nice amp.
Get some sort of small tube combo, only about 15-20 watts, and then crank it to get the best sounding overdrive.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
Quote by mattvl
Best thing to do is just run by the local shop and plug yourself in, try out as many as you can. I would definitely look at a few Marshalls while you're there, pick out the right one and you'll love it forever (I don't personally have one but my buddy brought his tiny little Marshall over and that thing has some amazing sounds that come out of it...don't remember the model though).

yes, marshall indeed. my favorite brand ^_^ . i had this one guy tell me on here "people only like marshall because they think its the best and only amp company. there IS other brands out you know." yeah there is other amp brands, but if you dont want a totally shit amp like the line 6 spider then stick with marshall. they make really good tube amps and have been the leading amp company for the past 30 years. so when you compare mesa,VOX, and crate to it, then which amp really is the best you know?
For tube combos I think the Fender ones are better than some of the marshalls, but for stacks Marshall is never a bad thing. It also depends on your price range.
The Set-Up

The Vox AD30VT is a pretty amazing amp for the price. My friend has one, and it's a pretty versatile beast. It can do metal at a push but it's an excellent amp at classic rock and cleans.
...stick with marshall. they make really good tube amps and have been the leading amp company for the past 30 years. so when you compare mesa,VOX, and crate to it, then which amp really is the best you know?

Unfortunately they also make crap like the MG series and over-priced stuff like the AVT's...

If the threadstarter has around £400 then a DSL 401 would be worth a look, if you're looking to spend less then maybe a Laney VC15 or even the ubiquitous Valve Jr.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ +1.

though I suspect even a dsl is too modern for those tones. maybe laney vc30?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
Unfortunately they also make crap like the MG series and over-priced stuff like the AVT's...

If the threadstarter has around £400 then a DSL 401 would be worth a look, if you're looking to spend less then maybe a Laney VC15 or even the ubiquitous Valve Jr.

if the guy lived in the same country as you its even better lmao take into consideration that not everybody is from britian or europe.

about the MG yes, they arent terribly good, but what do you expect from a solid state? also everybody makes mistakes, not every amp has to be good, theres always gotta be that one amp made by a good company thats not good. im not saying it completely sucks like everybody else does. it could be better.
Everybody makes mistakes - lol. When you're an amp manufacturer, arguably one of the best, that's a shoddy excuse. The MG series cost more than they should over here. I'm not sure about in the US, but they certainly don't perform on par with amps that are cheaper.
Quote by jincasa
about the MG yes, they arent terribly good, but what do you expect from a solid state? also everybody makes mistakes, not every amp has to be good, theres always gotta be that one amp made by a good company thats not good. im not saying it completely sucks like everybody else does. it could be better.

I agree, though it does annoy me because i foolishly bought an mg100dfx head with a cab a few weeks ago.....and well i dont think i need to say how much i dont like it....gonna buy a distortion pedal today or tomorrow to hopefully improve the sound, but im not getting my hopes up (before anyone says take it back to the store, i already tried and they wont have it back, the conning bastards) i just need to find someone even more of a sucker than me to buy it off me i think
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Roland 60, i just got mine and yea it is awesome i thought it was not goina be that great but it blew me away. The Roland can get pretty much any sound u want. if not the 60 get the 30x i would suggest the 30 but i hear its discontinued