So, my best friend really wants to learn how to play guitar, and her mom got her a Yamaha acoustic at Costco. Classy, right?
Anyway, half the strings are broken and she has a pitch pipe instead of a real tuner. Oh yeah, and she lost her picks.

We're going out to Guitar Center today and I was wondering what the best tuner and strings would be for a beginner that are really friggin cheap. I figure that, on the string thing, by the time she gets good enough to do anything besides play in her bedroom, she'll need new strings. As far as the tuner goes, I need one that you don't need to plug into to use, because she doesn't have an electric/acoustic.

Also, what's the best book/DVD/program for beginning guitar for people who don't have time for lessons?

By the way, I'm new here. So hi.
If she is playing an acoustic, see if you can buy Peter Finlay's Acoustic Guitar DVD series 1 (Beginner). I have his rock guitar DVD from when I was started, so I'm guessing his acoustic DVD should be good.

As for a tuner, I use a QwikTune tuner. It has a pitch pipe in built, and it works for acoustics (unplugged).

And strings, well, just get whatever suits best really, there is no matter too much of different string brands. I use RotoSound strings, and I have RotoSound .10's on my acoustic, and they are good.
Seiko makes good semi-cheap tuners, and D'Addarios are fine strings for a beginner
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
Quote by fueledbyredbull
So, my best friend really wants to learn how to play guitar, and her mom got her a Yamaha acoustic at Costco. Classy, right?
Anyway, half the strings are broken and she has a pitch pipe instead of a real tuner. Oh yeah, and she lost her picks.

We're going out to Guitar Center today and I was wondering what the best tuner and strings would be for a beginner that are really friggin cheap. I figure that, on the string thing, by the time she gets good enough to do anything besides play in her bedroom, she'll need new strings. As far as the tuner goes, I need one that you don't need to plug into to use, because she doesn't have an electric/acoustic.

Also, what's the best book/DVD/program for beginning guitar for people who don't have time for lessons?

By the way, I'm new here. So hi.

What the hell are you talking about? Dude, eddie van halen still plays alone in his room. It's not like the only time famous musicians play their instruments is in front of half a million people. And new strings are always needed. You should get her two packs of strings. D'darrios. One for backup. And ask a guy at the store to either put them on the guitar for you, or give you an instructional manual on how to di it because it will be impossible for anyone to instruct you over message boards
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
D'addario strings, Martin strings are both good.
I would suggest getting a korg tuner, they're the best out there.
And just try to find a simple book for acoustic guitar, a nice beginners book, and maybe a simple chord songbook.

-Alex.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
good intonation means ur guitar is in tune all along the fretboard, if intonation is bad u might find its only in tune for open strings, but when u play its all out of tune. its a good idea to set it up right
strings: Martins SP
Tuner: Korg Chromatic Tuner
Book: Hal Lenord vol1 (if you can find it)
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
i would say strings come as ur preference, as long as they're the same size the guitar is set up for.

the most important thing is a tuner. a good one can run for around $40 and have a setting to play tones and have a metronome. Personally i like the Sabine Metrotune MT9000

as for learning, you could buy a dvd but another good way is to chose simple songs that u know and get the music to them, then play to it.