In one of the books I have it says that a major pentatonic (just this form) has the roots here

e|R|-|-|-|O|
B|O|-|-|-|O|
G|O|-|-|O|-|
D|O|-|-|R|-|
A|O|-|-|O|-|
E|R|-|-|-|O|

But I was just on Cyberfret and it was saying that it's minor

However, I always thought this is minor

E|O|-|-|R|
B|O|-|-|O|
G|R|-|O|-|
D|O|-|O|-|
A|O|-|O|-|
E|O|-|-|R|

If I can figure out which is which, I know the four other basic pentatonic shapes major and minor.. Just don't know which one up there^ is..

EDIT: ifixed the last one
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

Last edited by IriShDroPkick at Jan 7, 2007,
That top diagram is the first position of the minor pentatonic scale, whereas the bottom one is the 4th (i think) position of the major pentatonic scale.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
The first scale is a minor pentatonic, with the roots in the correct places.

The second is the same shape as the minor pentatonic, but it's tonality changes to a major pentatonic assuming you work mostly with the root notes indicated and put the emphasis mostly around them.

Edit -- My bad. I didn't see the lowered note on the B-string in the fourth diagram. I posted assuming nothing had changed. You should probably disregard what I said.
Major

E-|--|R-|--|X-|
B-|--|X-|--|X-|
G-|X-|--|X-|--|
D-|X-|--|--|R-|
A-|X-|--|--|X-|
E-|--|R-|--|X-|

Minor

E-|R-|--|--|X-|
B-|X-|--|--|X-|
G-|X-|--|X-|--|
D-|X-|--|R-|--|
A-|X-|--|X-|--|
E-|R-|--|--|X-|
This is something a lot of people have trouble with...the first one is the 2nd position minor pentatonic, and the second one is the 6th position minor pentatonic
The minor pentatonic is a mode of the major pentatonic.
It shares the same notes and the same "pattern" with it's relative major, but it's in a different key and is played over different chords.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.