Page 1 of 2
Quote by dustinp
i think it was hendrix's strat. as far as available to anyone, probrably a 1958 les paul custom. you can probrably pick those up for like 500 grand if you can find one, but somebody's probrably got one and they probrably want to sell it.

WTF? 500k? I can get 500 really(1x10^infinity) descent guitars for that single thing! Who would want to spend that much on one guitar. It's not going to make you play better. You can buy a $10 octillion guitar and if you dont know how to play it, it wont sound any better than a $200.00 guitar.
Most expensive guitar sold to a non-celebrity should be Eric Clapton's "Blackie", which was bought for 950 000$ by a guitar archeologist.
But if you don't count Qatar’s royal family as celebrities then the most expensive guitar is a Strat which was signed by several rock musicians. That guitar technically generated $3.7 million USD.

Info: http://most-expensive.net/guitar-in-world
Quote by pinoyplaya
WTF? 500k? I can get 500 really(1x10^infinity) descent guitars for that single thing! Who would want to spend that much on one guitar. It's not going to make you play better. You can buy a $10 octillion guitar and if you dont know how to play it, it wont sound any better than a $200.00 guitar.

noob lol
DUH ofcourse more expensive guitars will sound better, because they have better quality parts in them!!!
gear:
Gibson Sg special faded
esp/ltd v-250
some dodgy russian acoustic (accord or something)
marshall valvestate 8080 w/foot switch
marshall mg 10cd
boss ds-2
behringer eq700
morley bad horsie 2
Quote by pinoyplaya

You're a player, not a collector. You wouldn't understand speding 100k + on a guitar unless you're a collector. I had a hard enough time justifying $5,000 for my Taylor, one that I would play! It's not about spending $500,000 on a guitar to play, it's about investing that money and in 20+ years getting almost double for it. In about 5 years i'd estimate my '58 Les Paul custom will be worth well over $50,000.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by Motu
Most expensive guitar sold to a non-celebrity should be Eric Clapton's "Blackie", which was bought for 950 000$ by a guitar archeologist.
But if you don't count Qatar’s royal family as celebrities then the most expensive guitar is a Strat which was signed by several rock musicians. That guitar technically generated $3.7 million USD.

Info: http://most-expensive.net/guitar-in-world

I read about that signed strat in some magazine, but I don't get why Blackie is still considered the most expensive guitar in the world. It makes no sense!
3.7 million > 950 000, last time I checked
that hand painted gibson custom shop hendrix V.
my local shop has it for somereason.
$13,000.
it has a sign on it thats reads: "if you touch this guitar, you will be asked to leave the store."

like wtf? why did they waste their budget on that shit, its gonna be there for 100 years.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by sashki
I read about that signed strat in some magazine, but I don't get why Blackie is still considered the most expensive guitar in the world. It makes no sense!
3.7 million > 950 000, last time I checked

I guess people refuse to accept a guitar which has basically never been played as "most expensive"

And danzig-_-, after 100 years it will be worth 13 million.
AlGeeEator how can u afford a '58 les paul custona and a 5.000 quid taylor if tour profile says your are 18
who are you following me .wheres my venn diagram this is a histogram god damit man god damit
Quote by ledcaveman
noob lol
DUH ofcourse more expensive guitars will sound better, because they have better quality parts in them!!!

Lol, your a joke. Guitar parts can not cost that much. Even the highest quality in the world. The reason why they go up soo high is because its either limited in quantity or signed by some famous person or some shit.
AlGeeEator how can u afford a '58 les paul custom and a 5.000 quid taylor if tour profile says your are 18?
who are you following me .wheres my venn diagram this is a histogram god damit man god damit
It would be more useful if this topic was 'not sold by a celebrity' as well as bought by one. Which would make and custom guitars and things like PRSs the winners.

and some guy was like 'omfg jo0 ****in n00b' at the guy that said a lot of money wouldnt buy a decent guitar. But hes right, Jimis strat wasnt necessarily filled with the best parts money can by for a guitar. Technology has progressed since that was built.
Quote by dangdnag
AlGeeEator how can u afford a '58 les paul custom and a 5.000 quid taylor if tour profile says your are 18?

By working my ass off?

The Taylor is only about 2,800 quid, or $5,500 USD. I got the '58 LP custom for a steal at a garage sale. I posted the story a while ago, find it and read it. I've spent over $20,000 on my gear, guitar building tools and guitars. It's not really that much though, I got most of the money back.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by Motu
danzig-_-, after 100 years it will be worth 13 million.

yeah, but this is just a little downtown shop.
i really dont think anyone is gonna buy it from there, but you never know.
some rich guy might walk in, see the pricetag and say "i must have this guitar!"
then he sits and eats a crumpet.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by danzig-_-
$13,000.
it has a sign on it thats reads: "if you touch this guitar, you will be asked to leave the store."

like wtf? why did they waste their budget on that shit, its gonna be there for 100 years.

That's because they know it will sit a few years before a collector comes into the store. Once he does, he'll jump on it and they can probaly sell it for close to $20,000. It's not meant to be played.

Chris
i never would have expected that shop to be that smart...
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
The most expensive shop sold in private acutuine was a fender standard strat sold to some ruler in the middle east for 2.8 million dollors for a tutsume acution.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
i think it was eric claptons "blackie" strat sold to guitar center for i think $950,000. correct me if im wrong
dunno if this counts, but the most valuable guitar in the world is the jimi hendrix flying v that he played at the 1970 isle of wight festival. it's worth £3 million and it's owned by the hard rock cafe in london (i don't know if they paid that much for it). i think it was the last guitar he was ever seen playing
Gear:
Epiphone SG-G400
Yamaha APX-500
Marshall MG50DFX

Aerosmith @ Hyde Park Calling 24/06/07
The Who @ Wembley Arena 26/06/07

Quote by ClassicRock4Eva
dunno if this counts, but the most valuable guitar in the world is the jimi hendrix flying v that he played at the 1970 isle of wight festival. it's worth £3 million and it's owned by the hard rock cafe in london (i don't know if they paid that much for it). i think it was the last guitar he was ever seen playing

He played that one there but he went back to his black strat for the last couple songs, so the strat is the last one he played in concert. His last song was In From The Storm.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by danzig-_-
$13,000.

every long mcquade has that lmao ...
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
expensive guitars are probably used only for collection. I dont know why someone would use a 50 year old guitar, they dont sound as good as new guitars especially with the technology today being advanced than it was 50 years ago.
Quote by pinoyplaya
expensive guitars are probably used only for collection. I dont know why someone would use a 50 year old guitar, they dont sound as good as new guitars especially with the technology today being advanced than it was 50 years ago.

that's arguable...but I'm not going to
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

guitars made 50 years ago by hand will totally buy, sell, trade, eat, shit out and do other things to modern guitars now. they can do this because they OWN them.

are you Nuts? try playing a 50's strat next to a new strat standard, and tell me which is better. the processes back then allowed for better sound, and the people working at the company actually put guitars together.

you lose
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
This thread is borderline flame bait.

Chris
Quote by woodenbandman
guitars made 50 years ago by hand will totally buy, sell, trade, eat, shit out and do other things to modern guitars now. they can do this because they OWN them.

are you Nuts? try playing a 50's strat next to a new strat standard, and tell me which is better. the processes back then allowed for better sound, and the people working at the company actually put guitars together.

you lose

compare prices , a 200,000$ old strat , compared to let's say a 20,000$ completely hand made custom guitar with all the improvements you can think of . there is nothing they did 50 years ago we can't do now ,and do it better.
then why don't guitar manufacturers manufacture guitars that sound better than old guitars? I mean, they know how to make it.

What you wrote is like saying Computers made 15 years ago are better than newer computers today. They will will totally buy, sell, trade, eat, shit out and do other things to modern... computers now.

It only makes sense that new guitars are better than old ones.
Quote by soldar
compare prices , a 200,000$ old strat , compared to let's say a 20,000$ completely hand made custom guitar with all the improvements you can think of . there is nothing they did 50 years ago we can't do now ,and do it better.

My point exactly!
Actually, what you're failing to realize in your post (which is obviously baiting) is that 50 years ago guitars were ALL pretty much handmade, compared to guitars being built today. Guitars made 40 and 50 years ago were not built on such a large scale production line like the guitars today. There was so much more attention to detail then there is on guitars today.

Even guitars these days aren't any more modern than guitars produced 50 years. ALL of the electronics are still exactly the same. They all used the same wood species we use today. They all use the same pearl, frets, finishes (well...), and machines to produce them. There's nothing really new on modern guitars that make them any better than ones back then. The only downside is modern guitars being produced by 100s each day.

Chris
But they won't make guitars like they did back then because it's not good financially. Save for Fender's NOS line.

Old guitars OWN new ones because they are old, they have a different sound, a better one. And they win so many points just because they are old. You don't get it mate.

^ to pinoy or something
no one fails to see that they made less guitars in the 50s and that they were built mainly by hand . the difference is the price . for the same price a les paul standard 06' isn't even close to a proper 59' les paul standard . but for 200,000$ a les paul standard 59' isn't any better then a much less expensive hand made custom guitar .
Quote by AlGeeEater
You're a player, not a collector. You wouldn't understand speding 100k + on a guitar unless you're a collector. I had a hard enough time justifying $5,000 for my Taylor, one that I would play! It's not about spending $500,000 on a guitar to play, it's about investing that money and in 20+ years getting almost double for it. In about 5 years i'd estimate my '58 Les Paul custom will be worth well over $50,000.

Chris

Hey AlGee, if its not too much trouble, can you show me the thread about your 58 Les Paul? I did a search for it, and didn't see anything written about it. Either that, or do you have some pictures of it?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414922

I posted the 'story' in that thread. There's no pictures however because when I bought the guitar, my camera was broken. By the time I got it fixed I had already locked the guitar up in storage, and it's not coming out for a while.

Chris
Quote by AlGeeEater
That's because they know it will sit a few years before a collector comes into the store. Once he does, he'll jump on it and they can probaly sell it for close to $20,000. It's not meant to be played.

Chris

that would be retarted of the collector to buy it there when he could get it for about $8000 anywhere else
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
that would be retarted of the collector to buy it there when he could get it for about $8000 anywhere else

No, he wouldn't be retarded because in 5 years the value of the guitar would have increased by that much.

Chris
What about that diamond encrusted Martin Acoustic?
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Page 1 of 2