i can alternate pick but im pretty lousy at getting the same sort of effect as downpicking only, and the notes are clearer if i down pick

for example, a riff i was mucking about with

d--------------------------------------------------------- 5 6 8
a--------------------5-6--------------------------5 6 9---------
d--000-000-000---0-0-000-000-000-000-----------------

i can play that and it sounds alot better if its all down picked

so my question is, do metal/hardcore bands down pick to get that "heavier" sound, or are the guitarists just good at alternate picking wheras i suck?

also, i can play those triplets correctly with alternate picking but they arnt supposed to be triplets i just tabbed it wrong,. they are 3 notes played fastish but not triplets. the problem is my fastish alternate triplets are a bit sucky
For the open notes, downpick, but when you do the little ascending part, alternate pick. Most of the sound though comes from their amp.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
just learn to down pick faster?

try learning MOP all downpicking, that should get your downpicks pretty decent
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by twistedmaggot

Some of the best advice I've heard on here in a while!
you're thinking of 3 16th notes and a 16th rest. triplets are 3 even timing in 1 beat.

DUN du du DUN du du DUN du du DUN du du etc
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Quote by Crimson_tornado
Some of the best advice I've heard on here in a while!

Yay E-Praise
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
downpicking isnt to get a heavier song, just some tabs sound cleaner with all downpicks
A lot of those "core" bands rely on that open string and I find it much easier to alternate pick.
uh...i think unless your playing chords youll get just about the same effect picking up, as picking down, if your doing it right.
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
Quote by twistedmaggot

i can. and i can down pick that riff soundly, ( ascending parts and tremlo/triplet thingys alternate picks)

but im talking about whether or not i should alternate pick the bits that sound better down picked

ill try and get a power tab of that riff , it should help explain wat i mean