Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. Today I started my first real guitar project. I have this old telecaster body that I bought on ebay a while back for $40. The body is made of alder and I've never really put it together. Last week I had the idea to cut into the horn of the body and make it a doubel-cut telecaster. I had a few concerns about the strength of the neck pocket and just how it would look. But today I went ahead and went through with it anyway.

So I traced the bottom horn of the guitar.

Then traced the outline onto the body.

After I had it traced I went ahead and used a band saw to cut out the design.

And then I went ahead and sanded the edges.

That's as far as I am right now. I think I'll be using a cream color to finish the guitar and possibly make a custom black or tortoise shell pickguard. I ordered a maple mighty-might neck, some $20 tuners, and electronics from a MIM Fender Tele.

I'll keep you all updated with any progress. Tell me what you think.
Last edited by Slavik at Jan 17, 2007,
I think thats quite a good job, looking forward to seeing it finished

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
that's pretty awesome..

I put my tobacco under my upper lip, just like anyone would do.

Yamaha RGX A2, Fender FM 212R.
^ didn't sound like it was being used anyway :P

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
With the neck pocket going up about a quarter of the way, it should have decent neck stability. Most bolt on necks like that have about the same amount of sides on them, so it should be ok.

I really like the idea. Its very different and almost had an ES335 kind of vibe to it. Im really looking forward to seeing this one done.
Hey pretty sweet, a kind of Strat meets SG look to it.
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

more like dc Lp.

what will the layout be, and will there be a trem?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
what will the layout be, and will there be a trem?

It's going to be a pretty traditional telecaster as far as controls and pickups. I've cancelled the order on the neck because I'm pondering what would look best. I was thinking about a rosewood fretboard with a 70's headstock but I think that might look a little out-of-place, so I think I'm going to go with a rosewood fretboard and a standard strat style headstock. I'm open to suggestions though.
Why not rout out the pups for Humbuckers? You don't need to use humbuckers, but it would mean you could swap over easily.

What kind of bridge are you thinking about? Telecaster bridge?
What about a p90 in the neck?
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
+1 ^^

Humbuckers in teles are awesome... A P90 in the neck and humbucker in the bridge would be sexy.
I vote for a p-90 in the neck, bucker in the bridge with a tune-o and gibson like headstock in wine red. Yeah.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by StaggHound
Why not rout out the pups for Humbuckers? What about a p90 in the neck?
I'm not sure if there is going to be a pickguard on this guitar or not, that's why I wouldnt rout it out for humbuckers. But the p90 idea was actually floating around in my head while I was doing this. The bridge is deffinately going to be a telecaster bridge, I don't know enough to **** with that. And I've been looking around for a bolt-on rosewood 3+3 neck, anyone find one, let me know.
I like the look. I'd be tempted to set the neck rather than just bolt - it doesn't look too secure to me and without all that wood around the joint there may be a lot less resonance. Not sure.

Let's see some finished pics soon!
sweet man great job! i agree with the guys that posted way above, put a P90 in it
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
h/s/h configuration? or wat about h/s/ p-90? endless combinations
Fender uses a set neck on the TC-90 instead of a bolt-on to help stability.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
im just curious..... but i thought that the bolts in the bolt on neck hold the neck and give it stability?
SMALL UPDATE:

Leave it to me to drop a guitar, right? So the body slipped out of my hands while walking down the stairs and the upper horn got a decent ding in it. The wood even chipped a little, but that was the extent of the damage. I drove down to ACE hardware and bought some poly-based poxy.

and I repaired the ding as best I could. It's not great but it wont be noticeable under the paint.

I also ordered some new pickups for the rig. I stole a pair of wilkinson p90s off ebay for around $30 bucks.

So I think I'll be putting one of those in the neck and saving the other for a rainy day.

I plan to route the pickup cavity and paint sometime next week. I'll keep you updated with any new progress.
sucks man... pretty much same thing happened to me yesterday, bringin in the guitar body from letting the paint dry, and dropped it while opening the door... but looks like you fixed it at least
wow man i love that body shape!
its looks amazing, cant wait to see it finished
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
u should smooth out the edge of the guitar
thats the only part i hate about telecasters
my right arm starts hurting so much
cuz the edgy-edge(?) lol
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yeah it is nice, i thought at first that it would look too strat-like. but no, it looks more classy than that. more like a prs double cut. very sweet.
i like the p90 in the neck. i would keep the tele bridge/pup design. i would also use a tele style headstock, mainly because if you use the strat one, its basically a strat with different pups, visually anyway. the whole idea behind this is a DC tele, and i think you should run with that. or the 3/3 gibsons tyle head would work too. i also like the cream/tortoise scheme. it would also look good in TV yellow/black pickguard, and if it had the tele head it would be the absolute perfect union between the DC LP and the tele, two of my favorite guitars. very nice work.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
and WHATEVER you do... PLEASE use a pickguard. it will be way easier and look 10x better
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
it wont look strat like becuase both horns are the same length and height, i agree that TV yellow with a black pickguard and chrome hardware would be great on this guitar. but use a tele headstock, i know its not the best looking or most practical headstock, but at least it'll work with the guitar. With a gibson style headstock its in danger of becoming a mess of guitars, its a DC tele, not a tele crossed with a DC LP

"You're a MESS!"
I vote for the traditional blackguard look (butterscotch blonde + black pickguard), and maple fretboard (rosewood never looks right on any telecaster), and a strat or tele headstock. Just use a normal Tele bridge pup, and make sure you get a good one with a proper baseplate (not the shitty plastic ones that cheaper pickups often have).
Quote by mr_hankey
I vote for the traditional blackguard look (butterscotch blonde + black pickguard), and maple fretboard ... and tele headstock. Just use a normal Tele bridge pup, and make sure you get a good one with a proper baseplate ....

FTW
don't use a tele headstock. use maybe something that looks like two tele headstocks together.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
There's not really any kind of compromise.

The "strat" headstock (at least, the 70's style) would look out of place on essentially a Telecaster body.

The Tele headstock, to me, would be better for this, because it is still essentially a telecaster.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Looks good bro
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Page 1 of 2