Page 1 of 5
Hey what are some metal bands that use 7-strings? Not like the Deftones and Lacuna Coil but bands that actually have solos and stuff. I can think of Morbid Angel, Nevermore, Dream Theater(if you consider them metal) and Empyrean Sky(if you guys have heard of them). Any else?
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Fear Factory? Awesome industrial metal...
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
Last edited by dreamtheater91 at Jan 7, 2007,
Down
Korn
Trivium
Dream theatre
not metal but Muse a couple of times
Deftones
Messhugah
once Metallica
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
Quote by METSOAD
Down
Korn
Trivium
Dream theatre
Deftones
Messhugah
once Metallica

when the hell did metallica use one???
Quote by Captain_Kickass

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

Quote by METSOAD
Down
Korn
Trivium
Dream theatre
Deftones
Messhugah
once Metallica

Korn isnt metal. Trivium isnt metal, OR use 7 strings.

Necrophagist will soon use 7 strings. Nekrogoblikon uses 7 strings, as do Cannibal Corpse.
Quote by insideac
Korn isnt metal. Trivium isnt metal, OR use 7 strings.

Necrophagist will soon use 7 strings. Nekrogoblikon uses 7 strings, as do Cannibal Corpse.

wtf? Trivium and Korn are metal, what do you think they are? And listen to "And Sadness Will Sear", "The Crusade", "Becoming the Dragon", or "Contempt breeds Contamination". Definately 7-strings...
Quote by Captain_Kickass

Quote by dreamtheater91
wtf? Trivium and Korn are metal, what do you think they are? And listen to "And Sadness Will Sear", "The Crusade", "Becoming the Dragon", or "Contempt breeds Contamination". Definately 7-strings...

Korn is Nu metal, Trivium is metalcore/fake thrash
Quote by insideac
Korn is Nu metal, Trivium is metalcore/fake thrash

Nu metal and Metalcore...both sound like metal music to me...
Quote by Captain_Kickass

metallica never used 7 strings,korn covered metallica,and they use 7 strings,and trivium did this thing called overdubbing,which they use to make guitar prts sounds cooler,fuller,and have more of a kick when people listen to it,trivium use dean dime models nows,and they arnt 7 string.....-to dreamthearter91-...answer that and stay fashionable is a great afi album...im supprised to see someone in a metal thread besides me who listens to afi..
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
Quote by dreamtheater91
Nu metal and Metalcore...both sound like metal music to me...

Its not the same as the metal that belongs in this forum. Nu Metal is like crap..er I mean rap mixed with rock alot of times, with stupidly downtuned guitars and simple crunching riffs, and fast rapping vocals. I dont care what you say, or your argument. Korn is guilty of that, therefore it is Nu metal. Metalcore is also different. Sigh. Here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338207
^^^Read the sticky and refreain from going there. And FYI Metallica used a 7-string on Some Kind of Monster. Drop G.

Edge of Sanity hasn't yet been mentioned. Arjen Lucassen uses a 7-string in Ayreon too.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
This perfectly good thread has been infected by idiots

When the hell did Metallica EVER use 7 stings?! The lowest they went was a G standard 6 string I think on some St Anger song

Trivium aren't even allowed in here and I'm pretty damn sure they don't use 7's either

"OMG I havnt got a clue about metal so I'll just name all the bands I know and hope that no one notices they don't use 7 strings and I'm bullshitting"

LOL
some kind of monster was in drop c or sumpthan,they dont use 7 strings,neither do they live,no songs on st. anger are 7 string...they are either baritone guitars or dropped tunning on a normal guitar..
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
Quote by unfathomable_bo
This perfectly good thread has been infected by idiots

When the hell did Metallica EVER use 7 stings?! The lowest they went was a G standard 6 string I think on some St Anger song

Trivium aren't even allowed in here and I'm pretty damn sure they don't use 7's either

"OMG I havnt got a clue about metal so I'll just name all the bands I know and hope that no one notices they don't use 7 strings and I'm bullshitting"

LOL

Trivium uses 7 strings on a few songs on their new crappy metallica soundalike CD, but thats besides the point. They just dont belong here
Quote by punkMETALskater
metallica never used 7 strings,korn covered metallica,and they use 7 strings,and trivium did this thing called overdubbing,which they use to make guitar prts sounds cooler,fuller,and have more of a kick when people listen to it,trivium use dean dime models nows,and they arnt 7 string.....-to dreamthearter91-...answer that and stay fashionable is a great afi album...im supprised to see someone in a metal thread besides me who listens to afi..

Thank you, Afi does kick rectum. And Trivium do use 7-strings, they just haven't played any 7-string songs live, thus you don't see them using them.
Quote by Captain_Kickass

Nocutrnal Rites is a band that pops to mind.

You could also play songs that are in B standard, either with or without tuning the G-string down. Such bands would be Carcass and Early Arch Enemy (I think they tune C Standard now)
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Quote by dreamtheater91
Thank you, Afi does kick rectum. And Trivium do use 7-strings, they just haven't played any 7-string songs live, thus you don't see them using them.

AFI? 40 lashings with a wet noodle for ye!
Since we're on teh topic of 7 strings. Does anybody play one or have had experience playing one? I was thinking about getting one, but then I daid to myself, "why?" So, anybody care to tell me the pro's and cons of them?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
I own a seven string guitar. The Pros are obvious, an extra string allows for heavier (if you add a heavy B) or higher (if you add a High A) experimentation and jamming. The extended fretboard allows some sweet chord and scale options. The only major cons I have experienced is finding resources. And whenever you buy strings you gotta ask for an extra 52 gauge or whatever.

Overall I think it's a good investment. What kind of model are you looking at?
Don't be derivative. Explore...
I used to have a 7 back in the day

Pros:

More variety/wider chord voicings
Bigger range (obvious) so you can chug away and not lose the ability to solo
More choice in scale shapes when sweeping/doing runs etc

Cons:

Some can be a bit heavy and bad on the old back
Wider neck sometimes makes playing more of a challenge
The low B can be difficult to fret at first due the the wider neck and the heavy string gauge (u'l get past that tho)

That's about all I can think of for now haha
What they said.

The neck on my 7-string Nez is wonderful to play on. Admittedly, it takes a bit of adjustment when it comes to the size of the neck, but you'll get over it. But if you transfer back to 6, it'll feel like a toy, haha.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
What they said.

The neck on my 7-string Nez is wonderful to play on. Admittedly, it takes a bit of adjustment when it comes to the size of the neck, but you'll get over it. But if you transfer back to 6, it'll feel like a toy, haha.

I play a 5 string bass. About the same deal there too, not that anyone cared I just felt like adding.
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
Quote by bsoates
Dream Theater(if you consider them metal)

I'm just curious why you think they wouldn't be considered metal? Because of Octavarium's more overall poppy sound, or because of Falling into Infinity? :/
I've found Jesus
Quote by insideac
Its not the same as the metal that belongs in this forum. Nu Metal is like crap..er I mean rap mixed with rock alot of times, with stupidly downtuned guitars and simple crunching riffs, and fast rapping vocals. I dont care what you say, or your argument. Korn is guilty of that, therefore it is Nu metal. Metalcore is also different. Sigh. Here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338207

Meh, not all nu-metal is rap influenced, lots of it could be called alternate metal, like Disturbed, or Godsmack, because they hardly use rap elements.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
pros

same as everybody else

cons

may be somewhat of a novelty and you won't end up using it that much
Read my post. Not this.
yeah, I have no problem with the extra weight or wider neck. I just have no real clue on what to get. I just want to upgrade. And I need it bad to. But first I need a new amp(Line 6 50watt =( But once thats bought I want a new guitar. I've had mine since I was lik 11 or 12 (Rx70 Ibanez) and it was bought from a pawn shop and is in a bit of shoddy conditions.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I say get an Ibanez. Most pro players use Ibanez 7 strings, even some of the really advanced ones *cough*steve vai*cough*. They're also fairly priced, so I'd check into them.

I have a BC Rich Mockingbord 7 string, and if the lower frets didn't buzz, it would be a great guitar. I know it's BC Rich, but it's a good guitar. Nice pickups, nice neck, it's all good.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Yeah I was either thinking the Mockingbird or an Ibanez. Of what I've played at guitar stores I like the way Ibanez guitars feel. And the higher end B.C. Riches are great I think. I personally don't see why people don't like them. But the low end ones I do know they are cheaply made, but hey, their low end guitars
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

yeah

my friend was going to get a jeff loomis sig seven string
i believe he also has his own sig set of strings for a seven string as well
Quote by Bmm386
"I cut my own penis off and ate it"

pinkowitz.net - another /b/ forum (help it grow)
Schecters are very fair guitars to buy. Good 7 strings especially.

Black Machine 7 and 8s look sexy as well, not to mention the KXK 7 string V. Ibanez makes nice ones, too, but I'm no big Ibanez fan. I'm with Petrucci on the Musicman 7 string.

-Mike
Page 1 of 5