Does anyone know if there are Pickups made from Neodymium Magnets? I mean, they are the strongest magnets in the world. Would they make a great sound? I was wondering, cuz I have lots of Neodymium Magnets and thinking about trying to make a guitar using that magnets on a pickup. Not so sure if it works, hehe, otherwise guitar manufacturers would have used it already.

Does anyone know?
it sounds like if theyre too strong theyll suck all the sustain out of the string, i dont know of any specific pickups with neodrlyiarmium magnets tho
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
Sounds like you are right. They, are way too strong. But I guess you can like lower magnet so the distance between the string and magnet is far away then that way, you still have good sustain and yet the magnet is able pickup sounds more sensitive compared to other pickups. You can always lower the magnetic flux by increasing the distance.
yeah but im curious as to what the ratio? if you will, will be, taking distance:magnet power because it seems like unless you lower that pup beyond good tone its still gonna stick, but i dont know maybe it will be magnanimously beautiful sounding
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
Tom Anderson uses neodymium magnest on his pickups. *shrugs* This isn't really a ground breaking idea, neodymium magnets have been tested and experimented with for years. They're really common in acoustic and sustainer pickups, for obvious reasons.

It's possible, but you'll need to figure out the magnet strength, coil shape, windings and how it affects tone. They're most useful in acoustic pickups though, because they're so powerful you only need a really thin pickup.

The reason pickup manufacturers don't use it is because neodymium is expensive and is not suited towards a high production enviroment.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Jan 7, 2007,
I just googled for neodymium pickups and got 133.000 search results. Plenty of info out there.
Actually, wouldn't you get a lot of noise if you used strong magnets moved further away from the strings? Like, it'd pick up vibrations from more than one string and whatnot. That'd probably make chords super-muddy...
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Nah, they get a warm, almost smooth tone from them. They're really nice if they're done right.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'