Ok, I'm stuck in a rut. Every time I pick up my guitar my mind goes blank and all I seem to do is noodle. I have tons of gear, books, videos and all things guitar, but suck at practicing. I have a guitar teacher, bit thats only for 30 mins a week. I know I could be so much better if I had a regimen.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
first of all set a specific goal. maybe a hard song you really like.then work towards it.

if you really want to get better. set aside time and make a schedule and stick with it. ex. 15 min for scales, 15 min. for chords, 15 min for songs, and 15 min. for practice with techniches.

i think we have a few collumns/lessons on this.
I normally do 15 minutes of scales, 20 minutes on improv, 25 on theory, and 30 minutes on songs...I call it the stairway method(lol)...

It's an easy way to pass an hour or two(double all times...)
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
All good suggestions. Maybe I have a discipline issue. The store I shop at and take lessons from (Rons Guitars in Groton CT) has a "Student/Teacher showcase" in the late spring that is put on DVD and my teacher and I both agree I need to learn at least one song from soup to nuts. I have been working on Blue Jean Blues (ZZ Top) with him lately and its a great song.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
i normally set a limit to waht i'm going to learn for that day. like i'll say something like " i'm going to learn this part of the song".
Most of the time when I try to learn something if I don't get it very quickly I get frustrated and just go on UG or something. I have never enjoyed the gift of patience. But I love guitar so I guess its all good.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
i generally practice alot of noodling. but recently for college ive been required to do a practice log. i set myself a taarget for the week and i usually learn like a scale, a song and then practice ALOT of improvisation.. this week is "highwater everywhere" by joe bonamassa.. what a shame :P
i said "come on lets dance, we've gotta take our chance" u whispered in my ear "you wanna get outa here?"