Can someone please tell me what Ska is? And Emo while we are at it?

Thanks
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Ska is like upbeat reggae with brass added, Emo is god knows what now - it's a bastard term that refers to a fashion as far as I'm concerned.
Ska is a type of Jamaican music combining elements of traditional mento and calypso with an American jazz and rhythm and blues sound. It is notable for its shuffling, scratchlike tempo and jazz-like horn riffs on the offbeat.

Originating in Jamaica, possibly in the 1950s, it was a precursor to rocksteady and later reggae. It was the predominant form of music listened to by rude boys, although many ska artists condemned the violent subculture. It is also popular with mods and skinheads, with artists such as Symarip, Laurel Aitken, Desmond Dekker and The Pioneers aiming songs at these groups as early as the 1960s.

Musical historians typically divide the history of ska into three waves. There was revival of note in the United Kingdom in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and another wave of popularity in the 1990s, mostly based in the United States.
^no... reggae is like slowed down ska, which still often featured horns, but often had more prominent organ and pianos. ska began in the late 50's, and later influenced reggae, and rocksteady. the history of ska is divided up into three waves:

first wave ska: true jamaican ska, originating in the late 50's. check out the skatalites, or desmond dekker.

second wave ska, AKA 2tone:british ska in the seventies and eighties. notable bands: madness, the specials.

third wave ska: America's take on the genre, often mixing it with other various styles such as punk. bands range from streetlight manifesto, to operation ivy, to reel big fish, to westbound train. by far the most diverse of the three waves, but many of the bnads are just plain boring.

there is a very brief breakdown of the best genre ever.

EDIT: damn PhantomZero beat me to it. his is much better written by the way, so props to you man. mine was just off the top of my head, but most of the bands are worth checking out.
Last edited by freedumb at Jan 7, 2007,
think of emo as a cheap imitation to goths ok and the music is lighter like coke= goth diet pepsi=emo get it its like hawthorn heights and stuff like that light music used to alter the mood and is usually heard y the emotional kids that are weak of faith
well in my opinion, Ska is skate rock...with a reggae influence it is punk with trombones, trumpet, and saxaphone...and emo is basicly the whiny screaming bands singing about how they hate life and want to die
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

some guy today was all like, " ahah dude likez OMG you wanna see ma HUGE SAUSAGGE??? likez ZOMG its tEH biggest EVER! " And i was all like, no dude show me your DICK
^wrong, well... the emo part is right, but the ska part is far off. check phantom zero, or my post.
Quote by stubby2010
well in my opinion, Ska is skate rock...with a reggae influence it is punk with trombones, trumpet, and saxaphone...and emo is basicly the whiny screaming bands singing about how they hate life and want to die

What the hell? Go listen to the Skatalites and call that rock.

Emo started with bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace, and people like Ian Mackaye, but you could say he's responsable for the whole thing. Now it's just ****ed up and no one who listens to new emo knows about the old bands.
emo (in my opinion):
1st wave: emotionally driven hardcore punk
2nd wave: emotionally driven pop rock
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
in my opinion the 3rd wave (emotionally driven pop-rock) is not emo, it's just another genre-stealing scheme from the record labels

it started out as slowed-down, more "emotional" (meaning depressing, since anger is an emotion and hardcore is generally angry)
bands include the ones glue man said, and some stuff like shudder to think and all those other crappy dc bands

second wave was emo combined with 'indie rock', and includes bands like sunny day real estate

third wave doesn't truly exist.

don't listen to the guy that said emo is lighter goth music. he's just seen one guy with a sidefringe wearing black clothes and decided they must be romantically unstable goths
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
There's still some genuinely hardcore/punk emo out there, it just isn't popular. It's overlooked because of what's being called emo today. Lol nobody wants to be an emo band today because of the bands that are now associated with emo (Hawthorne Heights, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance).
third wave ska: America's take on the genre, often mixing it with other various styles such as punk. bands range from streetlight manifesto, to operation ivy, to reel big fish, to westbound train. by far the most diverse of the three waves, but many of the bands are just plain boring.

Everyone has their own opinion but... Operation Ivy Boring? Since when?

The other stuff seems about right though.
emo is like the music that the band black flag played before they sold out and became hardcore, it was like totally rad. um, teh ska is short 4 teh sk@t3 punk like teh clash and reggae bruv is like tupac dawg