Page 1 of 6
I built my first guitar in the fall. The whole time I was working on it I was thinking "I will never do this again". But not 3 weeks after finishing it I started thinking of all the things i could do better, then my wife got me a router for christmas...and then I found a guy that had some mahogany for sale - enough for two bodies and two necks:

Well, if I was smart I would have made templates the first time around, but I intentionally did not as I didn't plan on building again. This time I am making templates:

I got the wood planed and ripped the necks and headstock angle:

And cut out the templates:

Due to time and money, it will probably take me six months to finish these. I am planing on flamed maple headstock, carved flame maple top, cream binding and pup rings, ABR bridge and string thru body (gold hardware on one, silver on the other), not sure about the rest yet, decide as I go I guess.
You're making an Ovation GP shaped guitar there - are you a fan? I'd be tempted to cut the top horn longer on that one, but that's probably just me.
ooooooooo!!! ultra gp FTW!!!
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
I have never seen an Ovation GP before, I basically designed the single cut by tracing an LP and a strat and norphing them somewhat. The double cut is just a copy of the sigle cut with a horn on top. Not sure if the top horn looks quite right yet, maybe I will try making in a little longer as suggested.

The wood was kiln dried and has since been sitting in a guys shop under controlled conditions for 5 years.

I appreciate any criticism or design suggestions along the way (anything from bridges to pickups - colors, etc).
These look very nice. What are you using to make the templates?

I like your designs, looks like it is going to be a good project.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
Quote by awilcox
I have never seen an Ovation GP before, I basically designed the single cut by tracing an LP and a strat and norphing them somewhat. The double cut is just a copy of the sigle cut with a horn on top. Not sure if the top horn looks quite right yet, maybe I will try making in a little longer as suggested.

That's pretty much how the GP was designed. Here is an article with a few pics if interested.

Anyway, I really like the design.
Well it would probably sit more comfortably on the strap if it had a longer top horn, meaning you could have a lighter body than a regular Les Paul without worring about the headstock diving to the floor... just a thought. I'll keep checking back on this one!
Well, progress is slow, but I got the bodies cut out. This time I bandsawed close to the line and used the template and rotor method. Not near as much sanding required to finish the shape as when trying to bandsaw on the line. Also got the necks roughed out, ears glued on, and the truss rod slots cut. I went 1/16" to deep with the truss rod slot and now have to take the front of the neck down by 1/16" of an inch to make the slot the right depth (I have enough wood on the neck to do this without making it too thin). Any hints on how I should do this other than a lot of sanding?

will they be neck-through? if so you are waaay off.

it looks like you will just cut off the excess. some questions: what wood for the fretboards, what hardware, and what colors?

looking pretty good so far, take your time with this.

answer to question: spokeshaves.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
No, they are not going to be neck-through, but I may do a deep set neck like I did on the first guitar I built. That seemed to work well. The neck pocket extends almost the whole length of the guitar. Or I may cut them short and just have the neck pocket extend into the first pickup cavity. I am going with ebony fretboards - not sure about the rest of the components yet - other than what i posted earlier on. I will decide as I go. I got a couple of flamed maple tops though. For pictures, see my first guitar build link, or checkout my build sequence pictures on my website - link below:
wow thats a beautiful guitar, i will be looking forward to seeing these two guitars finished
Wow, thats amazing!! I just checked out your homepage and saw the step by step pics of you making your first guitar. You should make them for a living!! Was it hard to make because im quite interested in making a guitar myself?? How long did it take to build???
I finally got some supplies. I got my ebony fretboards, white binding for the fretboards, black side dots, small pearl dots for fretboard markers, truss rods, and somed flamed maple for the headstock laminate. I got one headstock rough cut, but that is about it for progress in the past couple of weeks. The next few weeks I won't get much done either. I am going to take a seminar from Bruce Egnater next week in Detroit. In the 2 day seminar, you learn about tube amp construction, and you actually build a JTM 45 clone - and then mod it into a hopped up JCM 800. I will be sure to get lots of pictures.

Looks awesome man, you seem do know whats goign on
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
I declare this to be an amazing project cant wait till they are done
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Wow, you have building experience allready, so I can't wait to see this one completed. It all looks cool so far though.

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by smb
That's pretty much how the GP was designed. Here is an article with a few pics if interested.

Anyway, I really like the design.

i have that same guitar.
I got a couple of free hours this weekend so I got my fretboards cut to size (bandsaw and sandpaper) and glued on the binding and scraped and sanded it to size. Next to add the black side dots and small mother of pearl dots for fretboard markers. It is funny how small a fretboard looks by itself, when not on the neck.

Finally got a little free time this week to spend a couple of afternoons in my fathers garage. I got the inlay and side dots in the fretboard, cut the neck tounge, made headstock laminates out of flamed maple, and got a start at carving the necks. Hopefully the necks will be completed in a couple of weeks, then I can start at the bodies. My neck blanks were not thick enough to do a long tounge on these necks, so I went with a short one - it will extend into the first pickup cavity. Also, I am a little disappointed that the mahogany that I got for the necks is quite a bit lighter in color than the bodies??? I am waiting on a couple a flame maple tops for these.

Wow, they look so proffesionaly done. Sorry I havn't read everything in the thread so I don't know if the question has been asked/answered. Was the aim of making these to sell? Because I guarantee people would buy them.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
I am not building these to sell, more just for the practice of building and templating everything - learn by doing. After these two, I am going to build a flying V with a quilted maple top for myself. After that, if I still have the interest and the free time, I am going to start building to sell.
wow that finish is AMAZING on your first guitar did you have any experience finishing stuff like that before that guitar cause the finish is VERY good
Is that mahogany peaking out from the veneer, right? If so, very sexy.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Looking good!

I like the fretboard and binding, this is going to be killer when it's finished.
^+1
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Quote by lespaulmarshall
^+1

LIAR:

you said you were going to leave the forums.

Good to have you back.

and i add 1 to your plus one, thus making it +11
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
now, this is a great start......great ideas, and wood you got going there........but by looking at the design, that really isnt original at al and if you show it to someone they're gonna think its some other guitar and it'll take them a while to realize that you made it, not just a mod of some other guitar......thats just my suggestion thogh.....tell me how it turns out..and pics of the other guitar you made?
UG's HIPPIE