OK, so a friend of mine has seen my previous paint jobs/guitar projects and has asked me to do some work on his Epiphone Les Paul. He wants the whole thing cream (which means the back of the neck as well) and was thinking about black binding but changed his mind. He also wants all gold hardware. I'm not in this for the money, I just love doing it, so I've quoted him £100 to £150 and he'll get back a cream Les Paul with all gold hardware. Ignore pickups, he's gonna change them later. Does that price sound reasonable so far?

Here are the costs I've roughly worked out in the last ten mins:

Bridge and Saddles - £30ish (I'm watching some on Ebay).
Tuning Pegs - £18 (Found the gold with bone peg ones he wants, boxed).
Gold Screws and Strap-pins - £6 (Found them).
Nut - £5 (Found it).
Various other visual things (Selector ring etc) - £10 (Found them).
Paint (2xprimer,1xcream,2xclear) - £30
Any DIY Perishables I need - £10

Am I right in thinking that I can do the back of the neck by taping off the sides off the neck very well and then sanding, spraying, clearcoating and drawing back the tape to seal the two finishes together?

Advice or comments welcome!

Pictures when I get the guitar (this week)!
since the blues mafia wont have me

founding member of ug blues rock and southern rock mafia pm me to join
i like the sound of this. GO!GO!GO!

cream les pauls are second only to arctic white Les Pauls, and cream strats.

try doing som light neck shaving if your friend is up for it. LPs feel like a club.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Get the bridge and saddles from guitar fetish - http://store.guitarfetish.com/index.html

I bought the gold tailpiece and bridge from Ebay, it was poor quality, and there weren't any studs to fit to the body. In the end I replaced them with the GFS parts which are much higher quality.

Are you replacing the selector switch and jack as well? I got my switch from GFS as well, but I'm still on the lookout for a gold jack...

Postage was good from GFS as well - ordered on December 22nd, arrived 28th December. Thats fast for ANY pos from the US, let alone during the Christmas period.
It is going to be arctic white!

I just said cream cause I'm lazy haha.

Last edited by onenakfaplease at Jan 8, 2007,
So here's a mockup....

What do you guys think should be done about the headstock colour and the back of the neck?

Gold tuners are gonna cost you 75 to 100 quid. A refinish is worth quite a bit if you are any good. So if you are still just starting out and you are trying to only loose a little money then 150 is good. If you want to break even or if you are actually good, then you should charge more. Your time is worth something.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Gold tuners are gonna cost you 75 to 100 quid.
I dont think he means tuners made of actualy gold, just gold plated/painted.
Leaders Of Men
IndieStore

-Gig Rig-
Fender MIM Strat (arctic white)
Boss ME-50
HH Performer 150.

-Practice Rig-
Squire Master Series Deluxe Thinline Telecaster. w/ Bill lawrence XL-500
Boss ME-50
Marshall MG15CDR
Like I said before, I have actually sourced the exact tuners I want for £18 haha but thanks Cord.

Could anyone answer my previous question:

"Am I right in thinking that I can do the back of the neck by taping off the sides off the neck very well and then sanding, spraying, clearcoating and drawing back the tape to seal the two finishes together?"

Or my question about whether to paint the headstock?

Quote by northy
I dont think he means tuners made of actualy gold, just gold plated/painted.

Yeah, I know.

Good gold PLATED tuners cost around $75 if your are in the USA or around 75 quid in the UK. Good tuners are not cheap.

Quote by onenakfaplease
Like I said before, I have actually sourced the exact tuners I want for £18 haha but thanks Cord.

Where are you going to get tuners for 18 quid? What brand?

Quote by onenakfaplease

"Am I right in thinking that I can do the back of the neck by taping off the sides off the neck very well and then sanding, spraying, clearcoating and drawing back the tape to seal the two finishes together?"

Yes, you are right.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jan 8, 2007,
Quote by CorduroyEW
Yeah, I know.

Good gold PLATED tuners cost around $75 if your are in the USA or around 75 quid in the UK. Tuners are not cheap.

$75 is £38.84 How'd you figure that one out?!

Tuners are relativly cheap from places like this
Leaders Of Men
IndieStore

-Gig Rig-
Fender MIM Strat (arctic white)
Boss ME-50
HH Performer 150.

-Practice Rig-
Squire Master Series Deluxe Thinline Telecaster. w/ Bill lawrence XL-500
Boss ME-50
Marshall MG15CDR
That link from Northy was the exact right one. They're the ones called " Gibson ®Epiphone® les Paul Tuners" and they are actually boxed.

Cord, are there any better ways of doing the back of the neck?

I'm about to bid on the bridge...

http://i18.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/82/58/1dcc_12.JPG

Quote by northy
$75 is £38.84 How'd you figure that one out?!

Tuners are relativly cheap from places like this

I figure it because everything costs more here. A set of good schaller tuners or grover, or whatever will cost you. Most companies just switch the dollars to pounds. about a month ago I bought 50 sets of grover stay tight tuners for $25 a set and then sold them to the local music shop for 30 quid a set and he is now selling them for 50 quid which is what all the UK websites are selling them for. It's cheaper the pay Retail in USA then it is to pay wholesale in the UK!

I've never used the wilkinson tuners. Givent that they only cost a third as much as the tuners I'm using and I know that wilkinson make a nice bridge, I figure I'll give those tuners a test run. For 18 quid it's hard to know what to expect, but if they are good then that means I can save myself quit a bit of money.
OK, I have almost everything. I have gold extra screws. I have tuners. Bridge. Toggle switch and new selector ring. New strap pins. I need a gold LP Jack and gold parts for the pickgaurd (suggestions please?)

I'm also having trouble sourcing my dupli-color spray cans!

The last guitar which I finished with clear coat was quite rough in texture. If I buy one can of Nitrocellulose Laquer instead of any clearcoat, will that improve it?

Pics of the hardware tomorrow.

I have the sweetest toggle though. Anyone got that paint advice?

Quote by onenakfaplease

I'm also having trouble sourcing my dupli-color spray cans!

The last guitar which I finished with clear coat was quite rough in texture. If I buy one can of Nitrocellulose Laquer instead of any clearcoat, will that improve it?

You may have trouble with the the finish cracking as duplicolour takes forever the complely harden and is softer than the nitro.

1 can of nitro won't be enough clear either.
Have you added all the shipping costs with them parts too?

Sounds like a good project.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah yeah.

So what about painting it with dupli and getting two cans of nitrocellulose instead of clear?

If you don't recommend dupli, then what and where?

I don't really recommend dupli but if your going to use it for colour use it for everything.

If you want to use nitro you could get the colour cans from manchester guitar tech.
I'm gonna use Dupli if I can source it. A third of the price of nitro! Now, I figured this time I'd go for a much better finish and looked into the best you can do. Normally I sand, spray, sand etc. But I've been reading about sealers? Do I really need a sealer?

you dont' need a sealer unless your painting starting on the wood. If your just scuff painting then the previous finish acts as a sealer.

Btw, I'm not trying to rag on your abilities, but I sure hope your friend knows that there is a possibility that you will screw up the finish. Because I personally woudl be kinda pissed if I gave my friendd 150 to paint and mod my guitar and I get back a poorly painted guitar.

For duplicolor paints try looking for a holts auto store around you.
Quote by onenakfaplease
I'm gonna use Dupli if I can source it. A third of the price of nitro! Now, I figured this time I'd go for a much better finish and looked into the best you can do. Normally I sand, spray, sand etc. But I've been reading about sealers? Do I really need a sealer?

You get what you pay for, you buy cheap paint you get a cheap looking finish.
Sealer just gives you a level base to spray you other coats on top of if you finishing from bare wood.
Fill the pickguard holes with putty and paint right over them. Pickguards on a LP look god awful and get in the way.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
kaplac, you should have seen the way I did the last one. it was ridiculous the laziness with which I went at it and how little i tried and sanded and this guys seen that one and loves the finish. and the £150 included alll new harware (everything) plus a full set up.

also, no holts in uk.