im looking into getting a new bridge pickup and a distortion pedal, i have a gibson sg faded, and a Marshall MG (i no i no)

im looking for a good metal sound with hi gain, sustain, clear highs, and whatnot

for pickups i was thinking maybe a JB or some dimarzio, i dont want active pups cuz the rewirings gonna be a bitch and i dont have the money

As far as pedals go, im kind of a noob but i was thinking maybe a metal zone (boss) or a Metal Muff (ehx)

anybody got any suggestions/combinations?

i no a lot of people are gonna say get a new amp, (i will eventually) but i really just need better distortion and sustain for now, (plus im on low budget)

So, suggestions?
Its not the pickups that are making your bad tone.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by alienboy18241

its not that its that bad as much as it is weak, the pickups are too warm and the tone is too fat. It sounds far too vintage and muffled, that and the body of my guitar is mahogany, so the trebles dont come out that much and its all bass and midsy
Quote by alienboy18241

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I highly recommend going for a new amp. If you want pickups and a pedal you must have at lease $200 to spend on that stuff. I don't know what model MG you have but regardless most any shop will give you trade credit. With all that you can get a much nicer amp, even a tube amp if you look hard enough. Remember used gear is a great deal.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Seymour Duncan Dimebucker and an Ibanez Tube Screamer, there some crazy distortion for ya. I use a JB for my distortion in my Ibanez and a Duncan Distortion in my Jackson. Both are awesome. I highly recommend anything from seymour duncan.
Oh yeah. One more thing.

You can only polish a turd so much...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
get the alnico II slash pickups from seymour duncan
its nice.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by greenwgreg
Oh yeah. One more thing.

You can only polish a turd so much...

That is sooooooo true.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
ok well then does anyone have any amp suggestions?

if i ever do save up the money (which will be quite some time) i think i will spend around 600 dollars on a new amp

i need enough wattage to play over drums, a bass amp, and my friends amp
A little saving will do you better in the long run. And who knows, you may stumble upon a great deal on used gear. I got my normally 600 dollar Hot Rod for $430 used in new condition. I wasn't even looking at something in that range, but I couldn't pass it up. Its the best purchase I have made.

I get the "gottahaveit's" sometimes too, but its a good idea to step back and look at the big picture.

Good luck with whatever you decide...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
i'd say a peavey xxx combo might be worth a look at that price.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 - no point gettting new pickups because they won't help solve your problem. Your sound is being limited by your amp, simple as...you have a nice guitar but it won't be sounding anywhere near as good as it could do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd say a peavey xxx combo might be worth a look at that price.

hmmm yes used is definitely in the 600 dollar range

i think a brand new one is around 800

thats 40 tube watts right? Is that audible over drums, a bass, and another guitar?
^ should be. as long as the "other guitar" isn't playing through a triple recto or something, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?