I've been doing my own thing on the interent and books for a little over 3 years now, and I feel that I need to get a teacher to really guide me through things. I have a general idea of 'Correct' practice from getting piano lessons for a few years. I've learned a lot through the years of independent, but can I learn even more with a teacher? I've heard of all the people that "made it on their own" but so many more did with the guidance of a teacher..

So is it really nescesary?
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

i learned more on my own that with a teacher, i still have lessons, but i find working on my own is bettr.
It is invaluable, in my opinion. You learn new styles, your faults are analysed and corrected and it forms a great bond. I'd say yes.
Sorry, i'm gonna give the answer you don't wanna hear.

Wait for it...

It's your decision, if you think that you're making the progress you wanna make and it pleases you, then no you don't. If you think you need the help to see the benefits you want, then ir's a good idea.
yea i just find it helpful to have someone more experienced than u to guide u in ur playing. and if u dont find that it helps, then just quit. uve got nothin to lose by tryin a teacher for a bit.
Don't worry what anyone else says, if you truly feel that YOU will benifit from a teacher, then get one. It is a personal decision and if it is one you think will really help you, being in the position you are in, then go for it.
Yeah I've been playing the guitar for less than a year and i already know the basics. I havent had any lessons but i can make do. plus i have a friend who plays guitar and gives me some advice. i had some imformal lessons for like a month. I think a teacher would be a great help. Go on ur own but u should get some lessons after a while.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't see why not. You don't have to have a teacher, no-one does. But why spend time figuring things out on your own, when a teacher can help? Besides, a teacher can be motivation to learn things as well. But it's up to you.

Randy Rhoads took lessons even while touring. He ended up teaching the teachers sometimes.
i've been playing for 12 years, i have many people consider me very good and you know what? i'm looking forward to getting a teacher!! my answer is yes and here's why.... a teacher especially if you get someone who is extremely good technique and theory wise, will be able to analyze everything you do, what you think may sound good or is good technique, may not actually be in the long run. having an experienced unbiased 3rd party to judge and correct as needed your playing is one of the best things imo that you can do if you want to excel at your instrument regardless of the instrument in question.
To answer your question simply, no, it is not necessary. Will getting a teacher (that is good for you and understands your needs) help you and teach you things you probably wont find off of Google? Yes.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^ maybe the knowledge of someone who has been there and done that will help give advice on how to develop his own style?
^ maybe. but i bet a lot of students styles turn out to be pretty much the same as their teachers
^ eh, i'd disagree with that, do you think kirk hammett really sounds that much like satch? maybe a little in the classical sense but not really that much. and if you end up sounding like your teacher i don't think you really have a very good teacher.
If you can afford one, get one.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

A private instructor is there to guide you. I tell my student that even encourage that he learn some stuff on his own and if he has questions, bring them to me and I'll answer them. You also have random things pop up that you may not be expecting. This usually happens with younger kids in band class. I heard that around audition time for high school, private instructors are flooded with just kids who want to learn how to play that piece to its best.

I once read a story about Randy Rhoads in which while he was touring with Ozzy, he was finding instructors in different cities to teach him stuff, particually classical music. Think of how cool it would be to get a phone call one day, and have a guitar legend ask you for lessons! The important thing is to never stop learning.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
^ i read the same story, turns out most of the time randy ended up giving the lesson instead of the other way around, but indeed how cool would that be !!! "yes you have a phone call, it seems paul gilbert wants to know if you could give him a lesson?"
Teachers are great. You can turn to them if you need any help, I mean, I learn a lot of things on my own. But my teacher ensures I do it correctly, i mean, if it wasn't for having a teacher, i'd be doing downstrokes exclusively... And sometimes you can just jam along on a harmonic solo or something like that, me and my teacher actually had a guitar duel once And he ****ing owned me
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Thanks guys, I know there is a good teacher in my area. I've been doing some research and theres a teacher hat used to be a pretty active musician.. I've heard a lot about him (good things). I'll consider it

Id say that you should go for it. Really there are no downsides to getting a teacher. You will learn everything correct, learn new styles of playing, and all that jazz. So go for it.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
It's good to have a teacher, if only for a little bit of time. This is because a good teacher will rip your technique apart and help you fix that which needs fixing.
Quote by DownbëloW
i learned more on my own that with a teacher, i still have lessons, but i find working on my own is bettr.

I just quoted you cause I feel like it, bring it on.
i learned easily withut a teacher beause praticed my ass off and bought books and shit so dont get a teacher if you practice alot
Quote by 'tallica'gadeth
i learned easily withut a teacher beause praticed my ass off and bought books and shit so dont get a teacher if you practice alot

i wouldn't take this advice, teaching yourself can only get you so far, i practiced my ass off too and i get compliments constantly, but i know when i get my teacher i'm going to be corrected on a TON of things i may do wrong and not realize. i stick with what i said before, i would recommend teaching yourself initially and starting simple and working your way up and periodically check in with a teacher to make sure you're heading in the right direction. another thing you can do in the meantime is when possible, when trying to learn a guitar piece, youtube it and watch how the original composer did it (or someone classically trained) that way you can see how your hands should move and the piece should sound, this should help keep you in the ballpark of learning so that when you do go see a teacher they won't have to correct too much.
Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, as well as practice on my own