I have a Boss DS-1, a Fender Hotrod Deville 410 and a Les Paul. I play in a hard rock band. As many of you may know, Fender distortion isnt great for harder stuff. The other guitarist in my band has a Treynor amp and his distortion kills mine. I don t have the cash to buy a new amp. I wanted to know if by modding my DS-1, I will get a Marshall type distortion(ofcourse not perfect but i would like to get as close as possible) or should I look in to a tube screamer? Any other suggestions?

P.S- Does anyone have a soundsample or video of a modded DS-1?
You could always get a distortion pedal, or try and override safety settings on your amp (Not recommended...) and get a natural overdrive.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
In my opinion, a really versatile, powerful distortion pedal is the ProCo Deucetone Rat.
how many tubes are in the deville? if there is 4, you could pull out 2 to get breakup sooner
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
sell the fender and get a traynor?
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

If you're looking for a pedal to give you really nice overdrive I'd suggest the Vox Big Ben overdrive pedal, it's tube driven and if you put it in front of your deville I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.
Last edited by b.lunt at Jan 7, 2007,
either get the boss bd-2 blues driver, which is pretty much a distortion/overdrive pedal, or get the danelectro fabtone overdrive, i own all 3 (including the ds-1) and the fabtone is my favorite, it has a preset manual for like heavy, metal, british stack, and such.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
maybe a marshall pedal? of course i havent played one, but thats what you said you wanted, so you might want to check it out.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Get the EL-84 kit for your amp. I have it it cost $95 and give much better distortion qualities. Its worth checking out.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
get the boss sd-1 !!!!!!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Yea, have a look at them THD Yellowjackets, lets your amp take EL84s instead of the 6L6s, so you'll get earlier breakup, probably more gain, so you'll be able to get better OD tones.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well my tip is just to sell your amp, your never gonna get that great Marshall distortion with a pedal. Put in a ad to sell it or trade it for a Peavey 5150, Peavey Windsor or Marshall JCM800.

Or get a Zvex Box o Rock.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
if ya want a marshall sound the jackhammer is awsom, i personaly play a boss mt-2 its ownage( every1 who says they suck are just talking out there arses or dont actualy know how to use it)
ibanez rga121 ntf prestige
tanglewood tw28snq
marshall mg15dfx
jim dunlop crybaby
It's ownage with an MG15? Ok then..
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
It's ownage with an MG15? Ok then..

... i no my amp is shite, it smakes it sound a whole lot better though and also i played it through other amps and it sounds great and o ye one more thing GO FUK YOURSELF!
ibanez rga121 ntf prestige
tanglewood tw28snq
marshall mg15dfx
jim dunlop crybaby
Quote by rockon200
... i no my amp is shite, it smakes it sound a whole lot better though and also i played it through other amps and it sounds great and o ye one more thing GO FUK YOURSELF!

Temper temper...
just because youre amp is bad.
Someone's time of the month....
Don't be afraid to care"