ive been playing like a month now and im trying to learn lead guitar
i play a lot and im a really fast learner with music, but it just seems impossible to learn all these scales
i cant detect a pattern to any of them really

if somone could just help me with the basics, i know i could become a good guitarist one day.

PLZ help.
Yes, there is a pattern to scales.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
The only scale I can play at any position is the baisic pentatonic.

The only other scales I know are the G Ionian and the A Dorian.... I think. They were in a Trivium lesson in Guitar World (and no, I don't like Trivium, but they're brilliant players, so I try and learn SOMETHING from them).
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
well dude if theres a ****ing pattern dont just say yeah there is,

what IS THE PATTERN?
htats kinda the point.
yeah, no, there's endless numbers of scales. not all are nice little even numbered things like pentatonics... ugh hate those.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Learn your Circle of 5ths.
Hail Satan

Gear:
Yamaha RGX220
Peavey 5150
Trohak Cabinet (w/ Eminence speakers)
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Roadster
Marshall Mg15
well from the root note it goes...(W=whole-tone, S=semi-tone)

major: WWSWWWS
minor: WSWWSWW

...and thats all i know
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old
Quote by stjimmy62992
well dude if theres a ****ing pattern dont just say yeah there is,

what IS THE PATTERN?
htats kinda the point.

It depends on the scale. Phyrgian, Lydian, Ionian, Pentatonic, Minor, Harmonic Minor, Harmonic Major, etc.

This could help you learn them.

http://www.jguitar.com/scale

Saxo-Walrus

the patterns are only the same for the types of scale. eg. B major, C major, D major etc. if ALL the scales had the same pattern you would only end up with 7 scales.

play the pentatonic and say the notes you are playing.
there is a definite pattern to all scales and it is impossible to memorize them all there are so many a good way to think of them is in terms of tones and semitones think of a semitone as going up 1 fret at a time and a tone going up 2 so..

a major scale = TTSTTTS that last semi tone will lead you back to the same note you started on only different octave so here are some others

natural minor TSTTSTT
Harmonic Minor (one of my favorites) TSTTST(1/2)S that tone is a tone and a half or tone and a semi tone meaning 3 frets higher it gives it a very egyptian sound

Blues scale T(1/2)TSST(1/2)T
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Last edited by Shredder6 at Jan 7, 2007,
If you mean a pattern that covers all or most scales, there really isn't. Each type of scale has its own order of whole and half steps that makes it sound how it sounds.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Scales ARE patterns!

The major scale has a pattern of (W=whole step H=half step)

WWHWWWH

A whole step on guitar is 2 frets, a half step 1 fret. So if you wanted to play a major scale starting on open E (0), you would play:

0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12

Or if you wanted to start on F (1):

1 3 5 6 8 10 12 13

Of course you can sub in open A for 5th fret E and 1st fret A for 6th fret E and so on.

There are a ton of different scales, minor pentatonic being (arguably) the most popular amongst rock guitarists.
If you play the scale three- notes per string there are 7 patterns that go from string 6 to 1 that you can memorize and to transpose to a different key or even a different mode or to minor or whatever you just switch them around in your mind. Learn the major scale and then learn minor scale and notice how the patterns all repeat but they are swithched over to the right 3 frets and learn another key and notice how it's the same but the pattern starts on a new fret. Do you understand what I saying or am I being vauge?
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
Quote by fallenangel20
This could help you learn them.

http://www.jguitar.com/scale

THANK YOU!

This is exactly what I've been looking for. It has all the exotic scales I like experimenting with in every key, every string format...I love you. No, no, I mean it. I love you.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
yeah, scales generally go up.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Quote by Quintessence153
THANK YOU!

This is exactly what I've been looking for. It has all the exotic scales I like experimenting with in every key, every string format...I love you. No, no, I mean it. I love you.

Um....

o_O

Yea....

Saxo-Walrus

1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 7
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál