Help! I have like 3 or more paragraphs to translate from latin into english and I translated it but my translation of the story (Penelope) didnt make ANY sense. could someone post here if they are very good at translating latin into english?
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
latin 2. think you can do it?
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Here it is:
Ulixes, navi et sociis amissis, corpore, vulneribus confecto, in patriam pervenerat. Ad finem itineris sed non laborum perpetuorum venerat. Et cives et hostes crediderunt Ulixem non iam vivum esse.
Primes qui Ulixem vidit sed non cognovit erat pastor cuius nomen erat Eumaeus. Ab Eumaeo Ulixes non pauca de uxore Penelope et filio Telema cho audivit. Telemachus ab insula tum aberat, quod Penelope eum trans mare ad ultima regina civitatesque Graeciae miserat, in quibus locis itinera faciebat et Ulixem petebat. Per multos annos nullam famam de Ulixis adducti, de montibus Ithacae et e finitimis insulis convenerat et reginam in matrimonium petebant.

thats all i could type now. Ill type the rest after i post this
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Cives hos hostes e finibus Ithacae sine auxilio ad montes redigere non poterant. Itaque Penelope, capite submisso, dixit: "Ubi vestem quam facio confecero, non iam dubitabo in matrimonium dari." Itaque exspectaverunt. Sed consilium Penelopae fuit tempus trahere. Itaque nocte retexebat vestam quam multa diligentia texuerat. Post tres annos homines consilium Penelopae cognoverunt, et penelope vestem conficere coacta est. Hoc tempore Ulixes navi ad insulam Ithacam transportatus est. Eodem tempore telemachus, a Minerva monitus, in patriam properavit. Ibi ad mare ab Ulixe visus atque cognitus est. Ulixes Telemachum ad oppidum antecedere iussit. Ab Ulixe monitus, Telemachus neque matri neque aliis de patre nuntiavit.

thats it! thanks for any help that may be given!
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
dude are you still translating or did u log off?
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
okay so this guy obviously has logged off. anyone else care to help? this is pretty urgent!
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
oh, and by the way, this is from a latin for americans book, so the way they teach latin in the UK might be different.
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
that was some awesome translation lol
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by nexteyenate
Here it is:
Ulixes, navi et sociis amissis, corpore, vulneribus confecto, in patriam pervenerat. Ad finem itineris sed non laborum perpetuorum venerat. Et cives et hostes crediderunt Ulixem non iam vivum esse.
Primes qui Ulixem vidit sed non cognovit erat pastor cuius nomen erat Eumaeus. Ab Eumaeo Ulixes non pauca de uxore Penelope et filio Telemacho audivit. Telemachus ab insula tum aberat, quod Penelope eum trans mare ad ultima regina civitatesque Graeciae miserat, in quibus locis itinera faciebat et Ulixem petebat. Per multos annos nullam famam de Ulixis adducti, de montibus Ithacae et e finitimis insulis convenerat et reginam in matrimonium petebant.

thats all i could type now. Ill type the rest after i post this

Odysseus/Ulysses (you choose), having lost his ship and his companions, and wounded in his body, returned to his homeland. He came to the end of his journey, but not of his unending labours. Both the citizens and his enemies believed that Ulysses was no longer alive.
The first man who saw Ulysses, but who did not recognise him, was a shepherd called Eumaeus. From Eumaeus, Ulysses heard a lot (literally not a little) about his wife Penelope and his son Telemachus. Telemachus had left the island, becuase Penelope had sent him across the sea to the far-off queen (not sure about that) and city-states of Greece, in which places he was making journeys, and seeking Ulysses. Having heard no word of Ulysses for many years, (I think you have not typed this quite right - you are missing a subject, but I'll guess it) suitors convened from the mountains of Itaka and from the ends of the island to seek the queen's hand in marriage.

Sorry mate, can't be arsed to do the rest.
you are amazing!
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
I can give the rest a go... this might help though
http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm
Give me a while, I haven't done any Latin since my A level in July

EDIT: Probably best not to rely on me. I don't know how much I might be able to do.
Last edited by TheNthDimension at Jan 8, 2007,
Sorry for double post, but here's my work so far - I thought I should let you know because I don't know one of the phrases. Literal/better phrased translations are in brackets.

With this enemy, the citizens could not return from the shores of Ithaca to the mountains without help. Therefore Penelope, having [capite submisso], said: "When I finish the tapestry that I am making, then I will not doubt to give myself in marriage." Therefore they waited. But Penelope made a plans to drag time (out). And so by night she slackened [picked apart?] the tapestry which she had woven so diligently [with much diligence] . After three years the men realised Penelope's plan.

(up to "Post tres annos homines consilium Penelopae cognoverunt")
After three years the men realised Penelope's plan, and Penelope was forced to finish the tapestry.
By this time Ulysses had been taken to the island of Ithaca by ship. At the same time, Telemachus, having been warned by Minerva, hastened to his homeland. There (by the sea? not sure about this bit, it doesn't seem to fit very well) he was seen and recognised by Ulysses. Ulysses ordered Telemachus to go before him to the town. Having been warned by Ulysses, Telemachus told nothing of this to either his mother or his father.

It's worth checking that, but I hope it helps.
Quote by nexteyenate
dude are you still translating or did u log off?

Quote by nexteyenate
okay so this guy obviously has logged off. anyone else care to help? this is pretty urgent!

I took the latin regents a year early and got an 87

just felt like sharing
Quote by TheNthDimension
Sorry for double post, but here's my work so far - I thought I should let you know because I don't know one of the phrases. Literal/better phrased translations are in brackets.

With this enemy, the citizens could not return from the shores of Ithaca to the mountains without help. Therefore Penelope, having lowered her head , said: "When I finish the tapestry that I am making, then I will not hesitate (- doubt would use a construction with quin + subjunctive) give myself in marriage." Therefore they waited. But Penelope made a plans to drag time (out). And so by night she slackened - tego = cover/weave, re-tego = un-weave! - the tapestry which she had woven so diligently. After three years the men realised Penelope's plan.

(up to "Post tres annos homines consilium Penelopae cognoverunt")

A-level in Latin club! Mostly right I think but I'd say some corrections as above.

I think your "by the sea" bit is correct - could perhaps by "at sea"?