In your opinion, does any acoustic you know of have a neck similar in feel and playability to that of a Gibson/EPI Les Paul? Also, if I like the feel of this particular type of neck, that being a Gibson-type neck (over say, a Fender/Ibanez/Taylor/etc.), would I be likely to hold a Washburn in high regard? Just for the record, I know I mentioned a Les Paul, but my father owns an acoustic Gibson knock-off and a friend of mine has an Epi acoustic, so I'm very familar with that feel of acoustic guitar, bear in mind. The only reason I ask instead of just going out and playing one is because the closest Washburn dealer to me is much further than the closest Epi dealer, and I'd like to play a Washburn before I got an Epi if anyone personally thinks they are similar enough in feel. Make any sense at all?
Last edited by RedGoblin at Jan 8, 2007,
Ovations are generally considered an acoustic guitar for an electric player. I'd suggest playing a few of them and seeing if you like the feel.
Do all Ovations have a rounded back? Not really liking that....And also, it's not that I'm an electric player really. I came from playing that cheap Gibson clone acoustic, went to an Epi LP, and now am starting to think I'm more of an acoustic player actually.
I know its way too expensive, but just to make the point Rainsong guitars are supposed to have a very electric feel to them.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Yeah, probably should have mentioned my price range is like $500 absolute tops, and that's kind of optimistic. In fact, I'd like to make a straight-up trade for my LP if I decide to go through with this, which was $400. By the way, assuming my LP is basically brand new (got it like a week before X-Mas and have played it sparingly), what do you think Guitar Center would give me for it in trade-in value?
I'm not kidding here, if it was 400 new they may offer you $100-$150 tops. Its a crying shame.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Are you serious? I'm not talking cash-back, I'm talking like trade "value"......you know what I mean right? Surely, if they have like a 30-day return policy, my purchase would still be in their system and they would allow that even if I couldn't find my receipt? That sounded terrible enough that I might have to think about other options now.
Yep, I know. I do a lot of trade-ins (never at GC), they are the absolute worst about that stuff. I bought my Epi there (I'm sorry Rons Guitars) and attempted to trade in two items, they actually insulted me with their offer. I really really hate that store. Its not even just that store, its corporate business in general.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
My experience has been that my local shop, where I am a pretty good customer, they work with me a lot more. The percentage is not fixed, but I generall can get 35-40% of the items new value if its in near-mint condition. Ron's sells its used gear for no more than 80% of new, regardless if its brand new condition or not. Let me think of an example, that always helps. Oh heres one. When I traded up to the 60th std strat, I traded in my excellent condition Microcube. I paid $125 for it new. They gave me $50 trade value. I got $35 for my Blues Driver. But this is at a shop where I shop a lot and the guys like and know me. Its hard to say what you'll get but I can promise you its not what you expect to get - ever.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Well that's great. So do you think GC will let me return it if I don't have the print-out they gave me at the day of the purchase? Surely they still have it in their computer, don't they? Maybe if I claimed they didn't give me a receipt?
Last edited by RedGoblin at Jan 8, 2007,
Yes, that is the one thing that GC has over Rons. They store your info electronically and you can return for 30 days and get your money back. Rons return policy is 10 days and you can only get store credit, never your money back.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
As long as you gave them your info when you made the purchase they will have it.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
greenwgreg, thanks a million for your help. I called them today and they agreed with what you said, and I actually have until the 18th to make a decision, even though I bought my LP on Dec. 16. Anyone got any thoughts on a Washburn EA16? I read a review that claimed the neck has a "Les Paul-esque" feel to it. I also like that it has a smaller scale, or at least what I perceive to be, in an acoustic-electric (25"....or is that actually kind of long?).
i would say the Taylor T5, but hell ur only 2,500 dollars away
No problem dude. Glad to help.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by greenwgreg
No problem dude. Glad to help.

Small world btw, Ron's is one of the local shops I frequent. I got my first guitar from there. Nice to see other people from my area on here...

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I have a Blueridge with an identical neck profile (shape, width, fretboard radius) to my Les Paul (50's neck). The only difference is the neck scale (25.5 on the Blueridge, 24.75 on the LP).
It keeps geting smaller everyday. And yeah, I shop a Ron's a lot, pretty much exclusively. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
I agree...I buy most of my day-to-day (strings, picks, etc) there. You should also check out Alpha Audio on Washington St. in Mystic. Thats where I bought my current guitar...they are an alvarez-yairi and godin dealer. Smaller, but they have some nice guys there.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by RedGoblin
greenwgreg, thanks a million for your help. I called them today and they agreed with what you said, and I actually have until the 18th to make a decision, even though I bought my LP on Dec. 16. Anyone got any thoughts on a Washburn EA16? I read a review that claimed the neck has a "Les Paul-esque" feel to it. I also like that it has a smaller scale, or at least what I perceive to be, in an acoustic-electric (25"....or is that actually kind of long?).

I have an EA16. My electric guitars are all LP's so I wanted a similar feel for an AE guitar. The EA16 is smaller so it plays a lot like an electric guitar. The action is low so during shows when I switch from my LP to my EA16 for a song, the playability difference from electric to acoustic is extremely minimal.

For the price, its a steal. I've had mine for almost 3 years now so Im looking for another guitar and I cant seem to find anything, other than other EA series guitars, that have the feel that I like.