I'm currently building my 1st electric guitar, and I guess I eff-up a perfectly nice piece of wood. At first, I routed to neck pocket too tight... the neck would absolutely not fit inside. Afterwards, I decide to sand it a little, while checking from time to time if the neck fits. Anyways, the neck pockets is now a little too big. The neck fits well, but I'm afraid it would be too "wobly" after the neck is bolted on. Not sure if I'm clear...

The edges are good, they would have been solid enough to hold the neck, the problem is that the pocket is too large for the neck.

I've thought of a few ways to repair this:

1) Since the neck and body are still bare, I can stain and finish them both in order to make them a little thicker, therefore getting a tighter fit

2) There is still a whole lot of left over mahogany from the plank I had. I can maybe cut out the neck and glue a new piece on the body. This wouldn't be the nicest but it'll work.

3)Last option is to glue a tiny piece of wood inside to fill the gap.

Which is best?

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera so no pics for the moment. All the help and suggestions are appreciated in helping me fix my little problem.
if its a bolt on it shouldnt wobble if its screwed on properly
Quote by MarchOfEternity
Oh, and azza, you're a pretty good writer! Graybass is a god amongst men and you're turning real quick to be his new messiah lol.

Quote by graybass_20x6
You're doing good, mate.

Keep up the good work.

I'll take A for $500, Alex.
No. it won't wobble if its bolted, although you will need to cover the hole with a pickguard or something, otherwise it will look ugly, I say that the only trouble you might face is aesthethical, so, I would chose number 1 for that matter, a thicker layer of paint means less empty space on your neck pocket, although if the space is to big when you place the neck you should glue a piece of wood there.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
I'm guessing the extra space is less than 1/8". It's not much, but I'd prefer it to be too tight than too loose. The layers of finish on the body and neck should fill this up quickly, if not, I'll fit some wood in there. BTW the guitar will be stained and have a clear finish to it. Hopefuly, the repairs won't show too much in the end.

I'll try finding a camera in the morning, pictures might be up tomorrow night.
no it can wobble actaully.. it would be minimal but i had a really old (20 years) guitar and the bolt-on neck would wobble... i would suggest put little chunks of wood in there... i dont know how big of a gap it is but thats probably the best option and then build up the paint around it. If ur staining it wont do anything, stain soaks INTO the wood.
I'm going to stain/finish my guitar using the StewMac's Trade Secrets method. This implies many coats of sealer(4) and clear laquer(8-10 "double-coats"). SHould be enough to fill the gap.

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge_body/electric/tsblueguitar/blue_guitar01.html

I'll definately take the bits of woods into consideration though.
Last edited by velly69 at Jan 8, 2007,
How long does epoxy resin glue take to dry up? I'll probably put some if I feel the need. Would it be worth it? I know that this stuff is very strong, stronger than wood . Can I take the neck off if I decide to glue AND bolt it to the body, will it be difficult?

This might not be the best idea since the neck will most probably be glued there permanately but it'll be stable.
Just shim it. It's not too hard really, you won't fill those gaps just by finishing though.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Id prob glue another little bit of wood in and then re-sand it down and get a better fit cos even tho it wont wobble it will look bad if its not a perfect fit.
Quote by Gbell3587
Id prob glue another little bit of wood in and then re-sand it down and get a better fit cos even tho it wont wobble it will look bad if its not a perfect fit.

+1 on this approach. Otherwise, its really cosmetic. You can argue that a tighter fit would give you more sustain but if you have a really solid connection via the screws, it's not going to wobble back and forth. I would make sure to get these spot on - use a drill press and make sure your alignment is on the money with any existing neck holes.

Regards,

Rob
Which way is it too loose? Is it too loose on the sides, or on the side closest to the neck pickup? I wouldn't worry if it was too wide, because you're still getting contact on the bottom and the end of the neck.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Gbell3587

This is most probably the best approach. Thanks!

Quote by ririzarry
+1 on this approach. Otherwise, its really cosmetic. You can argue that a tighter fit would give you more sustain but if you have a really solid connection via the screws, it's not going to wobble back and forth. I would make sure to get these spot on - use a drill press and make sure your alignment is on the money with any existing neck holes.

Regards,

Rob

Actually, I filled the holes in the neck using some wood filler. I didn't want to wing it and have to drill too many holes. This way, the screw-holes will be drilled only once and will be spot on.

Quote by Will_Minus
Which way is it too loose? Is it too loose on the sides, or on the side closest to the neck pickup? I wouldn't worry if it was too wide, because you're still getting contact on the bottom and the end of the neck.

Woops, forgot about this. The neck pocket is too wide.

Thanks you all for your help, this is much appreciated! I'll be getting a camera tonight so pictures may be available tomorrow morning at the latest.

-Stefano

EDIT: Should I make a separate thread about my guitar and keep this one for the neck problem or would it be ok if I keep posting in here for future updates?
Last edited by velly69 at Jan 8, 2007,
Take some screen from a screen door, cut a piece to fit in the neck pocket, then bolt the neck on top of it. Works like a charm, since the screen bites into the neck, and the pocket and helps hold them together.
If the neck pocket's too wide, it shouldn't wobble too much, since it has 4 screws keeping it attached to the bottom of the neck pocket and should be right at the end of the neck pocket.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by velly69
Wow, that's a first... never heard about that before. Has anyone tried this before?
I've heard of it and it makes sense in terms of holding power. Fortunately, I haven't had to try it.

Regards,

Rob
Just bolt that shit on and give it a try. If it works, then you're in the clear, if it wobbles, then fix it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says: