How can it help my playing? The only real con I can think of is it might take away practice from other things.
Quote by Draken
that 0/10 was for gonzo slash, i despise him.
N.W.A Is Fucking Up The Program
Co-Leader Of The League Of Toxicity33, Kankuro And Dr. Gonzo Slash
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Gonzo, you're a cool dude.
I suggest you get a head start. I regret starting late. Yes it will help your musicianship, and later on can guarantee you a spot as a session guitarist, depends how technically proficient you are as well.
Im 15 so hopefully thats early enough...
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Quote by altronataku
whoever thinks there are cons to reading standard notations is a complete dumbfuck.

Not everyone was born as smart as you
Quote by altronataku
whoever thinks there are cons to reading standard notations is a complete dumbfuck.

Not cons to reading music, but if it might interfere with something more important, bassicaly I meant is it importan enough to learn and wont be waste of time. I knew that Reading Music Wasnt a Con.
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

there are no cons. i learned to read standard notation in 6th grade. it cant hurt you to learn
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash
Not cons to reading music, but if it might interfere with something more important, bassicaly I meant is it importan enough to learn and wont be waste of time. I knew that Reading Music Wasnt a Con.

I really don't know how it can interfere with anything. You're just reading music..................

??

Quote by insideac
Not everyone was born as smart as you

yea, it's too bad.
Theres some great session musicians out there that dont read music.

My dad can play a few instruments and is a great musician but has no clue with notation. I remember he asked me one day what middle C was.
- Satch is awsome -
Learing to read music is far more beneficial than only knowing TAB

TAB is like painting by numbers, at the end of it, you have a picture, but you have no idea why certain colours blend and why others do not.

Try learning or playing a song with triplets & quads which is written in TAB (put it on UTube, I would love to see it)

If you want to be a musician, learn to read music, it isn't difficult once you get your head around it.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Quote by altronataku
I really don't know how it can interfere with anything. You're just reading music..................

Yeah, but taking the TIME to Learn it!
Quote by Draken
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Thats the thing. I can read very LITTLE notation. I took 2 lessons, but didnt like the teacher very much.

If you want to take time away from learning it by yourself you can take a few lessons. Im sure it will take much less time if you get someone showing you the "whys" and the "whats"

Or buy a book.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
it doesnt take that long to learn it

i know latin roots so that would help but it only took me about 5 hours off and on to learn it...but it really helps with rhythm and jamming because you wont go out of rhythm if you really know all that i think

learn it
Quote by Dr. Gonzo Slash
Yeah, but taking the TIME to Learn it!

it's a practice, just like any guitar practices you would do.

just pull up a guitar pro or power tab file, disable the tab view, and look at the notes and start reading. or buy a real book and read that. you don't have to get it over night but do it whenever you learn a new song and you'll get better and better.

and as for the inital introduction to standard notation, make a chart of the note system, how key signatures work, the different beat values, and the time signature. maybe even dynamic and other symbols too. then just start readin and use the table. pretty soon, you'r not going to need it.
Last edited by altronataku at Jan 8, 2007,