Hi i am looking at getting a good classic rock tone amp but i'm not sure what price i need to go for to get anything decent. I'm thinking a Marshall but have heard bad things about the valvestate and mg series. I am into Zep, Sabbath, Cream, Wolfmother e.t.c. Also nice cleans would be a bonus. Thanks in advance.
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
Vox. I have their 100vth and it sounds amazing. You can seriously get any tone. The clean is really good too.
they all used marshall. if you want a good tone you'll have to spend money. don't just buy a cheap little 600 dollar half stack, if you want their tone, its like 1200 for a decent marshall. if you want GOOD, then thats your baby.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Line 6 has a pretty good crunch setting but that's just me and I must have never heard true greatness before.
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
Quote by qurazy
Line 6 has a pretty good crunch setting but that's just me and I must have never heard true greatness before.

I cant stand the crunch on mine
its way too distorted, or almost clean
theres no happy medium.

but to the threadstarter, marshall is the way to go
but if your strapped for cash, get a vox
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Quote by qurazy

Hahaha....... soo true....

In my opinion a Laney GH50L with matching quad is a great, extremely versitile amp and covers all your needs. With the quad there $2000 AUD which is cheap compared to other 50w all valve stacks. If you didnt want 50 watts of valve, go for either the Laney VC15 or VC30, both are great, extremely versitile amps for good prices.
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
My crunch sounds alot like the Sex Pistols though..... so that cool. But you really wouldn't be able to use it for much else I guess.

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
all the bands you mentioned(execpt i dont know about sabbath) used marshall amps. Cream was a 335 through a Marshall, Zeppelin was a Les Paul through a Marshall, and Wolfmother is a SG through a Marshall. so im pretty sure Marshall is your obvious choice. check out VOXs though. good amps. most classic rock bands used either Marsalls, VOX AC30s, or the Fender Twin Reverbs or Fender Bassmans, fyi.
Quote by 79stratSTONES
all the bands you mentioned(execpt i dont know about sabbath).

Iommi used a SG through a Laney
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
the key thing you need is an amp that is 100% tube-driven. no solid-state, no tube hybrids. you could get a small combo or a big stack and still get classic rock tone. no sense buying a 100W head and a 4X12 cab if you're only playing at home. buy an amp that suits your needs, but make sure it's all-tube, and that it sounds good turned up loud.

i recommend a marshall or a vox for the most versatile tones. a fender will have very nice cleans, but the overdrive can be a bit less crushing than a marshall or vox.
Depending on your budget, check out Marshal or Vox. I know the sound you're talking about, so if you're into modeling amps at all and looking for a good value, give a Vox modeling amp a try. Dear God, don't even look at a Line 6. I've tried them, and they suck. I gave on an hour at guitar center before, and even switched between a few of the models. They're just not a good amp, too synthetic. Even check out a Fender amp. I forget the exact model, but it has two 12 inch speakers, black exterior, and costs about $329. It has an excellent clean. Vox would be my first choice though.
Yeah, my amp is like a marshall-flavored hot pocket when it's on crunch.

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
JCM800 or a cranked Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker combo.
Or a used Marshall JMP head.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by sheumack111
Iommi used a SG through a Laney

yeah I think he actually used 3 Laney heads for extra, extra gain.

Marshall for the win though, tube Marshall that is
Quote by dantiberian
I'm thinking a Marshall but have heard bad things about the valvestate and mg series.

With good reason, you need the all-tube variety Marshall.

The Traynor Blue also gets good reviews as a Marshally amp, at a lower cost.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Laney VC series for the win. Or a GH50 if you want more volume and gain. Seriously though, Laney VC is one of the best vintage-sounding amps without the pricetag of a vintage amp on it. Definitely check it out.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
I speak from experince, as you can see from the 2 amps in my sig.....stay the fudge away from marshall mg.....full stop i mean my 15 watt one is ok as it was my first amp, but when a 15 watt piece of shit sounds better than a 100watt half stack....something is not right lol
i've heard the marshall dsl401 is good but thats just what ive heard
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Laney VC, Marshall Plexi, Marshall JCM800, Traynor YCV50 Blue are great classic rock amps!

Oh and i play classic rock so trust me those are awesome.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by dantiberian
Hi i am looking at getting a good classic rock tone amp but i'm not sure what price i need to go for to get anything decent. I'm thinking a Marshall but have heard bad things about the valvestate and mg series. I am into Zep, Sabbath, Cream, Wolfmother e.t.c. Also nice cleans would be a bonus. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, Marshall valve amps are probably the way to go. Should point out that all four of those bands used a gibson SG for a significant amount of their careers, sabbath always used gibson sg, so does wolfmother, clapton used his fool SG for most of cream's tours, and jimmy page used the double neck SG in concert for songs like stairway.
JCM800 combo or a Traynor YCV50 Blue is what you want.

I just got a Traynor...sounds exactly like my JCM800...just not as loud and it breaks up sooner so its more house/neighboor friendly (still more then enough to gig with though).

If you got the cash get the 800...if not you can get a used Blue for 400-550 dollars.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
marshall is the way to go m8, but NOT an mg, i had an mg250 dfx, n thought it a waist of money, i then went for the JCM 800 reissue, and it was amazing. But seriously, ur best bet is to go to a music shop, and spend time playing through different amps and playing about with the settings
So at least a grand is gonna be needed if i'm gonna get anything decent? What are the Vox xxVT series like? My friend has got the 15 watter and it is pretty nice IMHO but i havent really heard many valve amps to compare it to.
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
Well tehyre good but compared to valve amps it's notjing TBH. Also an AC30 woulf it you well.

Plus for the price of a Vox AD you could get a Laney VC instead.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Laney VC, Marshall Plexi, Marshall JCM800, Traynor YCV50 Blue are great classic rock amps!

Oh and i play classic rock so trust me those are awesome.

+1, that's a good selection- maybe add in vox.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The laney vc is an all valve amp? How does the crunch compare to a Marshall?
Quote by marsvoltaguy
Quote by dantiberian
The laney vc is an all valve amp? How does the crunch compare to a Marshall?

It's all valve, yep. It's a class A amp so it's got a really vintage feel to it, and it's got very nice speakers as well. IMO it's a bit softer than a Marshall, almost like a hybrid between Fender and Marshall, but you can push it to get a sound like that of classic Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath without too much problem - just no high gain modern stuff unless you get a pedal. My personal favourite of all vintage-sounding amps, but you really should try it out before buying - if you do decide to get it; if you want to get an exact classic Marshall replica, you might be disappointed with this amp - it's got a character and tone of it's own, it's NOT a Marshall copy.

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

No i want to build my own special tone but a vintage amp is a starting point. I'll look around music shops here for one. Might be a bit hard in NZ though to find one
Quote by marsvoltaguy
Get it then I think you'll love it.

Sorry but what is the dif. between class A and class A/B? i think thats what i've seen
around? I couldn't find it in the amp info thread either
Quote by marsvoltaguy
^ class A runs the whole signal through all of the power tubes all of the time.

class A/B splits the signal in two, the positive half of the sine wave going to half the power tubes, the negative half going to the other tubes.

Something like that. That's simplified, but I think it's more or less correct.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rhoads4ever
they all used marshall. if you want a good tone you'll have to spend money. don't just buy a cheap little 600 dollar half stack, if you want their tone, its like 1200 for a decent marshall. if you want GOOD, then thats your baby.

1200 for DECENT?

You can get a used JCM800/900 combo on ebay for like 600 bucks.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

^Aren't A class considered to be generally lower gain amps than A/B?

I could be wrong, but when looking at amps I seemed to notice that general trend.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

^ they might sound a little more vintage/spongy/softer, but i'd be hesitant to make such a blanket statement. After all, if you're talking pre-amp gain, that's nothing to do with the class of the amp (far as I'm aware).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?